Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-12-12 08:50:31

ylvs
Mantis

QM - The amazing prezzie factory

You come into the Mint to take a break from present hunting. Like always you have delayed and are desperate to find presents for your loved ones. You have been riffling your brain thinking about what it should be and came up with nothing useful.

Surprisingly there is a shiny new machine standing in front of the bar. You look at it closely wondering what it might be and POOOOOOF a lovingly wrapped present tumbles out of the front hatch. It has a sign with the name of the person you were thinking about ... another one tumbles out and another and all of a sudden you are relieved of all worries ...
Delighted you  collect them all and order a drink at the bar ... of course not forgetting to order one for Reg, too.

The coming days will be so much more relaxed now ...

Oh, and the shiny machine also knows everything about the perfect car to buy as well!

#2 2017-12-12 09:14:03

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Re: QM - The amazing prezzie factory

This is clearly the most useful Mint ever designed. Thank you, Ylvs!

*orders a beer for Reg*

"hitting the snooze button is totally an act of worship and not laziness"  -Magpie, slightly out of context

#3 2017-12-12 09:21:05

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

This is the most useful Mint evar!

*cranks the handle ten times*

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#4 2017-12-12 09:53:42

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Jeremy_Erman wrote:

Don't know if anyone else saw this story, but I think it's awesome!

Voyager 1 became Earth's first interstellar spacecraft when it left the solar system a few years ago. It's still functioning, but the thrusters that have been used to keep its antenna towards Earth are degrading, so NASA turned to another set of thrusters to keep it on course. These thrusters haven't been used in 37 years. But it turns out-- they still work!

"The Voyager flight team dug up decades-old data and examined the software that was coded in an outdated assembly language, to make sure we could safely test the thrusters," JPL chief engineer Chris Jones said in a news release

Communication between Voyager 1 and Earth is 19 hours 35 minutes each way, covering 13.1 billion miles. Aeorojet Rocketdyne, which built the thrusters, tweeted:

"Talk about reliable! Built in the 1970’s, launched in 1977, and last fired in 1980. Way to go @AerojetRdyne @NASAVoyager team!"

Full story at https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.php?feature=7014

It is indeed awesome. I've been geeking out for days!

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#5 2017-12-12 11:50:36

Olaf
Mantis
Website

Best mint EVA !!!!!

Scrollbearer

Writing books, especially long books, is a careful balance between laziness and masochism.
Tad Williams

#6 2017-12-12 12:34:15

Merenwen
Pilgrim

Guess who got tomorrow off? *dances little happy dance*

Cool mint by the way!

#7 2017-12-12 12:57:51

ylvs
Mantis

*bows*

Thankee, folks!

#8 2017-12-12 13:28:01

Sahi
Mantis
Website

*gleefully produces gifts for everyone in the mint*

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#9 2017-12-12 14:47:33

Magpie
Mantis
Website

That acquaintance of LG's friend that I've been emailing with about cars is indeed the guy from the dance group, as I thought (I emailed him and asked today.)

The world seems to be especially small lately.

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#10 2017-12-12 23:44:22

ylvs
Mantis

Gmaen Mint!

*blinks*

Good news from the US? What an unexpected surprise! Might sanity prevail after all?

#11 2017-12-12 23:48:11

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Maen Mint!

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#12 2017-12-13 00:45:34

ylvs
Mantis

There is nothing like starting the day with a little run into late dawn!

*feels good*

#13 2017-12-13 02:27:32

Libra-in-a-roundabout-way
Mantis

Up because of stupid, worked until half past eleven last night, now have a call.... I must be mental....

Scrollbearer

Author of the 777,777th post

"Sorry about your crap day, wish you libra-level dreams. ;o)"
~ Kenan

#14 2017-12-13 03:12:37

Sahi
Mantis
Website

*hugs Libra*

Scrollbearer

#15 2017-12-13 03:16:07

Libra-in-a-roundabout-way
Mantis

*grumbles*

And the client didn't show up.... Again.... That's two days in a row where I get up way earlier than I normally do and two days that the client can't be bothered to call in....

That's it... No more.... They can use someone else next time... Or do it via email... Blasted people....

Scrollbearer

Author of the 777,777th post

"Sorry about your crap day, wish you libra-level dreams. ;o)"
~ Kenan

#16 2017-12-13 03:19:51

Kia
Pilgrim
Website

Gmaent!

*admires the shiny new mint and the prezzie maschine* best mint ever! *strolls to the bar to order a hot hot chocolate for herself and a beer for Reg*

Enjoy your day off, Merenwen!

My appliance for the building ground was delivered to the community office yesterday. Now I have to wait until next week for a decision if I can buy the ground or not.

Today another christmas market meeting awaits! And a nice little italien restaurant visit afterwards.

#17 2017-12-13 04:05:59

Magpie
Mantis
Website

*tiredwaves*

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#18 2017-12-13 04:58:03

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

*tiredwavesback*

Wouldn't the plural form of Olaf be Olaves? ;) - Firsfron of Ronchester

#19 2017-12-13 05:07:56

Sahi
Mantis
Website

I have interesting work again! And tons of it too! Woohoo!

Scrollbearer

#20 2017-12-13 05:10:25

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

*hugs Libra*

I really hope you can find something else next year, because this job seems all stress and no satisfaction :/

"hitting the snooze button is totally an act of worship and not laziness"  -Magpie, slightly out of context

#21 2017-12-13 05:12:18

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

So how does this work exactly, Kia?

Did your application already include some planning on your part? Or does the two week time window start if you are selected?

#22 2017-12-13 06:11:22

Kia
Pilgrim
Website

*hugs Libra* people are the worst!

Peter wrote:

So how does this work exactly, Kia?

Did your application already include some planning on your part? Or does the two week time window start if you are selected?

no, the application is just the official statement that you would like to buy a named piece of building ground. Afterwards they look how many people applied for which piece of building ground. The one who has the highest rank in the list of interested people will gets the possibility to buy this piece of land. I think the two weeks will start to run afterwards. In the years before the boom began, this step wasn't necessary but these days there are so many interested people that there is not enough land for everyone. Before I thought I could reserve the land right away, but as it seems there are 9 other people who also have the right to choose. Since there are only 2 parcels left, chances are high that someone else, who is ranked higher in the list will claim the parcel before me.

In fact, you don't need to provide any plans when you apply for a piece of land. However, you should definitely consult an architect to clarify what kind of house you can build on this land for your own sake.

For example: the piece of land, for which I applied, is one of the last of the batch since it has some downsites. It is located next to a school and the local outdoor swimming pool. Thus it will get noisy eventually. So you are not allowed to have your terrace on the side of the house, which faces the school or the swimming pool. The sleeping rooms of children (given there were any) are not allowed to be located at these direction either (and if they are you cannot have windows, which can be opened). Giving this restrictions, the house needs to be located at the end of the parcel and the garden needs to be in front of it. Some people have very detailed ideas about their houses but sometimes these ideas don't work on a particular piece of ground. I understand this you have to look very closely at the development plan. These are so complicated that you need an architect to understand them. 

But the architects won't start the planning before you have a solid claim on the land so their work won't turn to dust when another person claims the land. So this initial planning should take place in this two weeks before you actually buy the land.

Normally it is also recommened to have a ground survey before you decide for a piece of land. Otherwise there might be some nasty surprises in regards of construction. But these days it is almost impossible to get it done in time.

And if you need to get the money for the land from the bank you need to get this stuff also done in this two weeks.  Luckily, this won't be an issue for me, since I have enough funds to buy at least the land without the bank.

The funny thing is: once you bought the land, you have 5 years to build the house. At least in the city I applied for land. In my hometown you need to start the construction within 3 months. Which would be impossible due to the surgery in April.

urgghhh, this turned out to be a longish post about boring construction stuff...sorry...

#23 2017-12-13 06:35:35

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Hey, this is what I wanted to know, so don't you apologise for providing a very nice explanation! :D
So if you do get a shot, you'll have two crazy busy weeks ahead of you.

Do you like the plot of land, school aside? You will most likely be at work while the school and pool are at their loudest, so you won't be affected by that too much, right?

#24 2017-12-13 07:24:36

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Indeed, very interesting to know! *crosses all appendages for good luck*

Scrollbearer

#25 2017-12-13 07:58:53

Kia
Pilgrim
Website

From my point of view, the parcel is very nice. I was planning to have noise protection windows anyway since I indend to sleep during the barbeque season and all the garden parties the neighbours might celebrate :-)
The littel town were the ground is located is also very nice - they have several supermarkets, doctors, bus connections and fast internet. This way, Kia-mom can have an independant daily routine without me driving her around.
The price for land is affortable - it is less than half of what they were charging for the last construction area at Braunschweig....so there will be actually money left to build a house :-) So, putting the noise matter aside, the rest looks quite promising to me.

I kind of hope that the two weeks will only start running after the holidays. I somehow doubt that anyone will be available between the years....

Board footer