Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#526 2017-12-07 07:42:51

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Re: Chaven's tower

The Galaxy Tab S2 and S3 are fairly solid. The S3 is newer, might get updates for longer and has higher end hardware (much faster graphics, especially). The S2 is much more affordable.

Both have very nice AMOLED displays and good battery life when you are looking at videos or play games, not so good when looking at websites (too much white for the AMOLED to be efficient).

"hitting the snooze button is totally an act of worship and not laziness"  -Magpie, slightly out of context

#527 2017-12-07 09:00:33

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

I only have experience and knowledge of the iPads, so I'll sit this one out!

Wouldn't the plural form of Olaf be Olaves? ;) - Firsfron of Ronchester

#528 2017-12-07 09:26:38

Sahi
Mantis
Website

There's no rush, my birthday isn't until February. :)

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#529 2017-12-27 03:18:49

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

Finally got my new desktop! *installation frenzy*

#530 2017-12-27 04:24:09

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Have fun, Kenan!

"hitting the snooze button is totally an act of worship and not laziness"  -Magpie, slightly out of context

#531 2017-12-27 07:30:29

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Kenan wrote:

Finally got my new desktop! *installation frenzy*

Ooh, enjoy!

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#532 2017-12-27 14:47:15

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

Had a huuuuge amount of blue screens. With luck resetting default bios setup fixed it. Fingers crossed.

#533 2017-12-27 14:57:15

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

That doesn't sound good.... Hopefully, you've fixed it.

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#534 2017-12-27 14:58:51

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

It was unpleasant in the extreme

#535 2017-12-28 01:02:52

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Just... five... more... posts, Kenan! Almost... there... quadruple... infinity... in sight!

#536 2018-01-03 02:06:40

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

I continued to have some problems with the computer, but now I hope updating bios will have fixed it.

#537 2018-01-03 02:19:05

Sahi
Mantis
Website

I really should start looking into which tablet I want. My birthday is creeping up on me...

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#538 2018-01-03 03:19:59

Sahi
Mantis
Website

I think the Asus Zenpad S8 is going on my list of devices to look at. (It seems Android devices with bluetooth are rare, so I'll just drop that requirement.)

Scrollbearer

#539 2018-01-03 06:37:42

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

I am confused, why would Bluetooth be rare? Do you need a specific version of Bluetooth or some rare protocol support? Geizhals says 381 out of 412 Android tablets support Bluetooth. And the rest may well be mistakes...

And if you are talking about this tablet that seems utterly hopeless to me. Do not buy anything with less than 3GB of RAM and 32GB of flash. I know you are going to use it for a while, even if it isn't your main device. Android installations have gotten pretty big, so you won't get much free space on 16GB and apps are getting bigger every day.

Also the Atom used in that tablet may run some apps very poorly if they've only been compiled for ARM and not for x86 (I have no idea if that is a common problem or not, but with Intel failing to gain traction and having left the market by now, I would assume it is a problem or will become one).

#540 2018-01-03 06:47:47

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Kenan, wasn't that machine built by someone for you? In that case I'd throw it back at them by now and let them sort it out.

#541 2018-01-03 06:55:37

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

This looks much more promising if you are after something compact for traveling:
https://geizhals.at/huawei-mediapad-m3- … ml?hloc=at

I have not researched it in detail yet.

Edit:
I'd use this list to select tablets:
https://geizhals.at/?cat=nbtabl&xf= … 7E8383_7.0

Basically: At least 3GB RAM, 32GB Flash and a semi-current Android. I would still not recommend some of the tablets on the list because of extremely slow CPUs or other issues, but those things are hard to filter for.

Last edited by Peter (2018-01-03 07:02:02)

#542 2018-01-03 06:58:16

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

Peter wrote:

Kenan, wasn't that machine built by someone for you? In that case I'd throw it back at them by now and let them sort it out.

Yeah it was... and I'm a little confused because they should have tested it. But we'll see, this bios update did come with improved dram compatibility... fingers crossed now.

#543 2018-01-03 06:59:37

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Btw, if it is CPU or RAM, Prime 95 is a good tool for quick stability testing (google the best settings for stability testing).

#544 2018-01-03 07:20:58

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

Thanks, I'll check that out. My computer should have been stress-tested by the builder... but who knows :)

#545 2018-01-03 07:50:15

Sahi
Mantis
Website

I was just looking at cnet.com reviews, and they still have it listed as one of the best Android tablets. But yeah, the review is from 2015... (Which I hadn't noticed before.) They're claiming 4GB of RAM and 32GB of storage, with and SD card slot for extra memory. *shrugs* It's hard to figure this stuff out, especially as all of the reviews I've seen so far, care a lot more about stuff that doesn't specifically interest me. (Such as camera and sound.)

I'm not done looking yet, though. :)

Scrollbearer

#546 2018-01-03 08:08:29

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Maybe that was a different model? I can only find one listing for it, so I am pretty sure it is not being made anymore.

#547 2018-01-03 09:30:19

Aan`allein
Hierarch
Website

Sahi wrote:

I was just looking at cnet.com reviews

I'd strongly recommend going through tweakers when researching any tech to buy: tweakers pricewatch.

Mozilla developer comment of the however long it'll be this time:
<Mossop> run for the hills!
<Boriss> i can't, i'm at a local maximum!

Just Imagine...

#548 2018-01-03 10:57:39

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Thanks!

Scrollbearer

#549 2018-01-14 09:44:07

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

I got my AC:Origins copy, and it crashed when I tried to play. And today for the first time Lightroom started misbehaving. I did a memory test and it said something was wrong, right at the start, but then I never got a test result. I switched the RAMs around, blew a little on the contacts, to see if there was some dust or something... if it's still not working I'll try with one RAM-card at a time, see if any of them is stable.

#550 2018-01-14 10:22:44

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

All the crashes seem to involve the video card?
If it does not crash in something like Prime 95 (configure for memory stress testing), but does crash in something like Furmark (very little load on the CPU and main memory), it is probably not the memory. In that case it could be the video card, power supply, or of course some incompatibility.

I'd try checking the seating of the video card and of the power cables going into the video card, though neither problem is particularly common in modern systems AFAIK.

Board footer