Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

• Index
  •  » Osten Ard
  •  » The Witchwood Crown: Nominated for a Goodreads Choice Award

#76 2017-12-05 23:37:02

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Re: The Witchwood Crown: Nominated for a Goodreads Choice Award

If you compare it to all of the books who never even got to be included in those 20...

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#77 2017-12-06 03:42:11

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

It's not 16/20, it's just 16 of 20 who were placed, all the rest are 21+.
I agree that 16 is not bad!

Wouldn't the plural form of Olaf be Olaves? ;) - Firsfron of Ronchester

#78 2017-12-06 04:36:18

ylvs
Mantis

I did not say it was bad but it nothing to cheer for neither.

#79 2017-12-06 07:35:26

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

I'll cheer. Even the nomination is a great honor. Some of these authors launched a serious campaign for votes, writing blog posts, newsletters, and email blasts to their loyal followers. There was no major campaign for votes from Team Williams: no newsletter, no blog, and 48 hours into voting, the pinned Twitter post was something unrelated to the Goodreads vote. Tad and Deb know TWC is amazing, and they didn't need a vote to tell them how awesome Tad's writing is.

As far as I know, no Tad-book has ever been singled out for this honor in the nine years since Goodreads started this award, and it's unlikely to ever happen again, as only 20 books in the Fantasy category are picked, out of thousands of new books published every year. But TWC will always have "A Goodreads nominee for Best Fantasy Novel of 2017" appended at the end of its title.

I think that is something to cheer for. :)

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#80 2017-12-06 09:23:15

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

Alright ylvs!

Wouldn't the plural form of Olaf be Olaves? ;) - Firsfron of Ronchester

#81 2017-12-07 00:27:29

ylvs
Mantis

I love your enthusiasm, Firs!

#82 2017-12-07 00:33:14

ylvs
Mantis

Firsfron of Ronchester wrote:

As far as I know, no Tad-book has ever been singled out for this honor in the nine years since Goodreads started this award, and it's unlikely to ever happen again, as only 20 books in the Fantasy category are picked, out of thousands of new books published every year.

I betcha that The Navigator's Children will make the Top 5 in 2022.

#83 2017-12-07 17:25:04

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

ylvs wrote:

I betcha that The Navigator's Children will make the Top 5 in 2022.

If you can convince Deb to pin the notification of the vote on her Twitter feed for two full weeks, there is the chance of it happening, if Tad ever gets nominated again. Deb's got a massive Twitter following which could have been used as a great campaign tool.

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#84 2017-12-09 02:26:36

ajl3
Pilgrim

On the plus side, in the few days since the results came out almost 700 more people added it to the "To Read" shelf.

#85 2017-12-09 11:49:47

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

ajl3 wrote:

On the plus side, in the few days since the results came out almost 700 more people added it to the "To Read" shelf.

Great catch, ajl3!

Yep, 729 more people, as of five minutes ago. The third-biggest spike in interest in the book's history on Goodreads, and much bigger than the interest shown during the book's launch. The publicity has been a very good thing.

• Index
  •  » Osten Ard
  •  » The Witchwood Crown: Nominated for a Goodreads Choice Award

Board footer