Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#376 2016-08-25 10:57:20

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

Re: New gripes of the day! The rant list part 3.

Maybe a short, to the point response is a good idea. I hadn't thought of that, actually. (Mostly because my Facebook is pretty toned down and chill, not a lot of debates, mostly sharing and talking about nerdy stuff, so I've never really had to "police" it.)

If you should do what makes you happy, and no one can tell you what makes you happy, then that means no one can tell you what to do!

Tamishu's Ramblings

#377 2016-08-25 21:01:16

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

Ugh. Tried a simple variation of "that's not what I was posting about, and please don't spread your anger on a topic to places it is not appropriate" and got pandered to. I quit...

If you should do what makes you happy, and no one can tell you what makes you happy, then that means no one can tell you what to do!

Tamishu's Ramblings

#378 2016-08-25 21:03:13

cyan
Mantis

This is one of many reasons why I do not faceborg.

"Never underestimate the power and accuracy of a chicken-chucking trebuchet." ~ Tad

Scrollbearer
Proud Member of the Log Brigade

#379 2016-12-02 17:53:45

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

Every year, I make the same realization. I always think that "no, I'm never going to not be at work for a week straight." What I find is that being away for more than 3 or 4 days at a time desensitizes me to the... There's no nice way to say this... The sheer stupidity of things that occur. It's like I lose my tolerance. And I think that plus the slowly accumulating feeling of being overloaded made me a little wiggy the past couple days. I'm just so tired of people asking me to do things that it is not my job to do anymore!

On one hand, if it's a short little thing that'll take a couple minutes, no big deal. But on the other hand, I'm not involved with a lot of the A/P tasks anymore, other people are, so those people are the ones you should be asking, not me.

And I think I'm starting to perhaps unnecessarily panic. Because it's December, which is always the busiest time for A/P, because everyone is trying to get all their invoices in for year end. Not a big deal in and of itself, but... with the staffing changes recently, and trying to train new people, and not necessarily knowing which people are doing what... I'm afraid of things falling through the cracks and causing more stress later.

Monday, when I have my weekly meeting with my manager, I've got to sit him down and say, "look, I have these questions, and they need answers, because without answers, I'm going to be very frustrated and probably not pleasant to deal with for the rest of the year." And that sounds harsh when I write it out like that, and I feel like I should be better able to control my stress levels. I don't mind training people, and I get there being a learning curve, but it's frustrating when people don't seem to catch on, or just don't ask questions. AND it's also frustrating when tasks get shifted around and nobody else is told, so I'm sitting here like, I dunno wtf is going on, who is doing what, if I should just be doing stuff to get it done, etc..

All this on top of dealing with computer hardware and/or software issues. When within an hour of me being gone for a week, I have to fight with the scanning computer because it's throwing up errors, and I get told "just reboot it" and it's clearly NOT an issue that will be resolved by rebooting, AND I find out nobody actually told IT there was a problem... yeah. Not a great way to start off being back.

Ok... I feel a bit better now that all that's off my chest. *whew*

Tamishu's Ramblings

#380 2016-12-03 00:06:55

Sahi
Mantis
Website

*hugs*

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#381 2017-02-08 10:04:38

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

A bit of background first...

I work for a property management company. A lot of the repairs & maintenance that are done for our tenants / clients we pay for, and then bill back to them for reimbursement. Just over a year ago, we set up our work order software to have a couple specific fields to be populated by the technicians, so we could in theory do the bill backs a bit faster.

In the beginning, standards were set for compliance rates. X% had to be recorded this new way within the first month, Y% within the second, and ultimately Z% for the third month and everafter.

A year later, we *still* have never hit X%.

And here I am, doing all this extra tracking, pointing out specifically where the problems are, and have been for months, and seeing absolutely no results of anybody doing anything about it.

Today has been a very demotivating day...

Tamishu's Ramblings

#382 2017-09-12 18:17:24

Libra-in-a-roundabout-way
Mantis

Dangerous rant....

I want to start by saying that I fully understand and appreciate the need for rules and regulations with regards to sickness at work....

However.... The rules are so good, that some people just take the utter piss.... I'm soooo utterly frustrated with this one dude in my team... He has been off sick more than 40 days in the last 365... It's always either Fridays or Mondays, it's always when he has the late shift, we can even see a repeating pattern year on year.... If he's in, he will regularly "oversleep"... (We work US shift, we start at 2pm and he's always staying that he can't understand me going to bed as late as 1am)... He has never worked back the hours he missed by "oversleeping", he is always asking to go home early, we're sure he has a side job (packages received at work), if he has his MOT (obligatory car check) it's a standard schedule (call at 12: going to be late, still at garage; call/text at 2pm: still at garage going to take a while; silence for several hours; call around 4-5pm: nearly done but now it's really busy, so I think I'll go home and work from home, sidenote: the company doesn't allow working from home)

And we just have to look at this and not do anything.... It's utterly demotivating for the rest of the team, when he's not in jokes are regularly made (handover with his name and in brackets behind it "if he's in"), but I can feel the atmosphere sucks when he's in because people feel awkward... That is everyone but him, I don't think he has any idea how this comes over to other people....

The worst thing? We can only wait until he comes to 60 days when we can finally get an occupational physician involved.... Which also sucks because it will take time away from people that actually need it, people with actual illnesses, people that are actually struggling....
Second worst thing? He is actually pissed off about not getting his sick days paid anymore and said to me "well, so and so still gets paid"... So and so has cancer!! *insert your choice of foulest curse words*

End rant (because I could probably go on for about three pages but it's not worth it, I know....

Scrollbearer

Author of the 777,777th post

"Sorry about your crap day, wish you libra-level dreams. ;o)"
~ Kenan

#383 2017-09-12 23:09:32

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Ugh, that is nasty. I hate shirkers!

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#384 2017-09-13 04:54:20

Mantis

Sahi wrote:

Ugh, that is nasty. I hate shirkers!

Me too... I feel guilty not to go to work even if I'm actually sick....

Scrollbearer

~ Kenan

#385 2017-09-13 05:53:00

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

I have a colleague or two that is at home a bit much, when not sick it's their children who are sick. But nothing on this scale. Can management really do nothing? Demand that he works the hours he is late and don't work at home should be minimum.

Wouldn't the plural form of Olaf be Olaves? ;) - Firsfron of Ronchester

#386 2017-09-13 11:54:04

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

Eesh, and I thought a certain person never being able to be at work on time and always taking a biiiit longer lunches was frustrating. *hugs*

Tamishu's Ramblings

#387 2017-09-13 12:02:46

Magpie
Mantis
Website

I hate people like that!

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#388 2017-09-14 01:41:52

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Two of my colleagues have been sent home (both recruiters). So weird, we had been mailing in the morning about an upcoming conference! And another of my colleagues has been told that she now has to work from the Rotterdam office.

Getting a new job is getting ever more urgent...

Scrollbearer

#389 2017-09-14 04:17:25

Kia
Pilgrim
Website

Libra, this guy is really a jerk. Unfortunately, guys like these know every loophole. I once had such a co-worker, who doubled his holidays by being on sick-leave every year.  Once another colleague dared to mention that  - maybe, just maybe - he should work on his health by switching to a more healthy diet the guy was off to complain to the company counsil.

Sahi, this really sounds suspicious. I keep the fingers crossed that you find a better place to work soon.

#390 2017-09-14 04:39:22

Sahi
Mantis
Website

I've just made a list of people that I want to talk to soon (with the latest news I'm casting my net a bit wider, unlike before I now want to get out of here ASAP, before things get anymore toxic). And tomorrow I have a conference with lots of people to question about where they work. :)

Scrollbearer

#391 2017-09-14 15:40:54

Mantis

Sahi that sounds ominous....

Well Mr "I can show up when I bloody well please" hasn't been in the last three days....

Actually I prefer that to him being in... He has such thick skin that he doesn't even realize the whole team is awkward around him....

Scrollbearer

~ Kenan

#392 2017-09-15 07:50:57

ylvs
Mantis

Good luck with net casting, Sahi. You'll catch a fine one! For sure.

#393 2017-09-29 19:28:02

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

This happened yesterday, and it's still bothering me, so I'm going to ramble about it here...

I'm sitting in my manager's cube, talking about reporting that's due next week, and one of the property manager's comes over. One of his techs need to buy a part at one of our suppliers, but because we had some past due invoices, they put our account on credit hold. Oops. Well, shit happens, unfortunately, invoices get lost or misplaced or hung up in approvals or whatever... no big deal, we can fix this. Except instead of just asking us for help, he goes on this TIRADE, about how this is unacceptable (true, annoying to be phrased this way, but true), and it happens time and time again with this vendor (not true, payments for this vendor almost exclusively run through me, and I only have record of this happening once before, a year and a half ago), and how does this even happen (good question, but I'll expand more on this in a moment) and we need to get them paid RIGHT NOW. This was all directed at my manager, who handled it much better than I would have. At some point, I would have just turned around and ignored him, because I'm not going to sit there and be fucking yelled at because he feels the need to yell. Either that or I would've walked into the controller's office and told him we're finishing this conversation in here, because I don't feel comfortable talking with him without a manager present. Cause you know what, if you're going to have a bad attitude with me, you can have it in front of other people to witness it. Ok, anyway. So he left, my manager did some research, found out what the hang up was. Turns out, for whatever reason, we never actually got two invoices (totalling $78, yeah we spend thousands of dollars a year with them but they put us on hold for less than a hundred bucks, go figure) so we had them processed and payment out to them within a couple of hours, were taken off credit hold, and I'm assuming the guy was able to buy whatever he needed.

I talked with my manager later, turns out the property manager came back over later to apologize. But that doesn't change the fact that his behavior was still completely out of line in the first place. Hey, I get it, it's very frustrating to not be able to do your job because somebody along the way made a mistake, BELIEVE ME I GET IT. And while I have wanted to go over and yell at people myself from time to time, I know that such an action is unacceptable, and I either move on to something else (if it's not important) or I go talk to or rant at someone about it. And even then, I make sure that wherever we are, it's somewhere other people can't overhear.

Seriously, the guy could've taken 5 minutes, calmed down, come over and said, "Hey, I need some help, I need to buy stuff from this supplier, but they say we're on credit hold, can you look into this now? It's important." And that would've been 1000x better. Yes, sure, we will gladly help you, this is not good, we will figure something out today.

After writing all this out, I realize I'm still really mad about all of this, even though I was in no way shape or form the target of it. He's always had this attitude of "my work is more important because I get to charge the clients more money for it" which ok is a bit true. But it comes at the expense of everything needs to bend to *his* will and inclination, which is sometimes ok but sometimes not, and he's very bad at compromising. So I admit, sometimes I stonewall him and say that I need to run it by my manager, or sometimes I get my manager (unnecessarily?) involved, because I don't feel comfortable just deciding that it's ok to add 6 more hoops to jump through, I want him to ok it first, or preferably offer some kind of alternative.

Tamishu's Ramblings

#394 2017-12-02 19:53:06

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

Oh wow, I just read my last post and I can't believe it's been 2 months since that happened. I STILL haven't talked about it with my therapist, even though I've been meaning to. Other things are just more important... And the holidays... yeah.

Ok, so. As I think just about everybody under the sun knows, my mother-in-law and I have not been getting along very well, for most of this year, by this point. My way of dealing with this has been acceptance of the situation, realizing I'm probably not going to do anything to change the situation at this point. But I'm not going to stop trying to be nice. For my own sanity, I need to try to be the better person in this whole thing and keep trying. (The bad part about this is that it does wear me down, I usually do end up thinking "oh maybe this will make things different" and it doesn't. I know it won't, until I try, and then I think it might.) At least for right now, this feels like the right thing to do.

So. A couple months ago, I saw that Mannheim Steamroller was having a concert here in Buffalo! A couple years ago, they came to Rochester, I didn't find out until the day of, and by then it was too late to try to get tickets and drive all the way out there. And when I casually mentioned this in conversation, she seemed pretty upset that they were kind of in town and she didn't get to go see them. Ok, at the time, I'm thinking I'll file this away for later. (When my husband and I were in college, I ended up getting her to listen to some of their music, she really liked it, we all went to a concert down in Columbus, it was great fun.) So I find out they're playing in town! Exciting! Because I'd like to go see them again, too. I share the event on Facebook, tag her in the post, and ask her if she was interested. I got... basically no response. She did respond, that she would love to go see them again, but that was it. No response about a work schedule, or any kind of communication that indicated she was *actually* interested.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago. Somehow it comes up in conversation, she's all "Oh I didn't realize it was Mannheim, I thought it was TSO" and was suddenly much more excited about the idea. Ok... Whatever, maybe she really did misread the post, I dunno. So she said she'd look up more info about it.

Couple days later, we get a group text message that tickets were purchased. Oh! Ok! So I guess we're going! Woohoo!

Last night was the concert. And I was pretty excited about it! I got a text before lunchtime, turns out we're all going to meet at a restaurant a block away from where I work for dinner. Ok, that's fine, it's a nicer restaurant, and dinner tends to be a bit longer event there, so I'm a bit concerned about the timing, but no big deal, it'll work out.

Dinner was actually really fun, I had a great time. My father-in-law has used the same financial adviser HIS father used, and the guy is kinda dorky in a banker sort of way, but they're actually friends and go for drinks when they have the chance, so he ended up meeting us at the bar, and we roped him in to staying for dinner.

Dinner ended up running a bit longer than I thought, and we were a bit pressed for time. THEN there was an accident on the thruway. THEN we had to detour around a train that was literally stopped on the tracks. So we made it literally less than a minute before they started. Here is where I find out we actually have floor seats, which I'm a little frustrated about. Because look, if you guys don't know this by now, I'm short. SHORT. I'm 5' 1 3/8". Whenever I go anywhere that has a balcony, I try to sit in the balcony, specifically because if I sit anywhere that doesn't have "stadium" seating, I inevitably can't see over the person sitting in front of me, and have to lean or crane my neck the whole time. But whatever, I'm not gonna let this bother me. (And of course, during this drive there, my husband decides I look a bit grumpy, and starts saying "don't be grumpy" in a joking type voice, trying to get me to not be grumpy, but that has the reverse effect because I'm actively trying NOT to be grumpy, and the reminder does not help!)

Intermission comes. We go get a drink, come back to our seats. He starts saying how he isn't really enjoying the concert, it's really not his type of thing. Ok... Well, I get it, MiL surprised us all by just *buying* tickets. That certainly wasn't my intent by just telling her that the concert was happening, I figured we'd all talk about it. And I'm sorry you don't like it... but I'm trying to have a good time, here, and it's kinda frustrating when, in the middle, someone says they aren't having fun. I'm not saying you HAVE to have fun, but can you keep it to yourself until after it's over...? His parents come back over, MiL says she's not impressed with the show either, and didn't really care if we left at intermission. Ok... thanks guys. I wasn't actually trying to drag any of you to this thing, and I'm sorry you aren't enjoying it, but I'm trying to, and now it's harder knowing that the other 3 people with me basically don't care.

So come and goes the second half. I try to enjoy myself, but it's hard, with that weighing on me. I dunno if this is something that shouldn't bother me, but it does. Stuff like this always has. If someone wants me to do something with them, and I'm not sure about it, I'll go, and if I end up not liking it, oh well. But I'm gonna try to have a good time anyway, and I'm not going to complain about it in the middle. It's part of the reason I have a hard time coming up with things to do with just me & my husband. I'm worried he won't have a good time. And I think he sees it as just teasing, but it does bother me. And I've brought this up before, so it's something that comes and goes...

Anyway. Concert ends, we file out, get on the highway... And then pretty much it's one long complaining conversation. Not about the concert! But about other stuff. Like... driving, and places to eat, and work, and a bunch of random stuff like that. And it was just bugging me a lot. We get home, I hope on Facebook... and Facebook is just one giant long stream of people complaining about stuff... and yeah. It was a frustrating end to what was supposed to be a really fun evening.

Tamishu's Ramblings

#395 2017-12-02 20:03:04

Maladroit
Pilgrim

<HUGS>

So sorry your anticipated fun wasn't much fun Ad1tu. I hope that writing it out helped you some, like it has before.

#396 2017-12-03 00:24:01

Sahi
Mantis
Website

That just sucks, Ad1tu! *Hugs*

Scrollbearer

#397 2017-12-03 02:12:07

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

I'm sorry what should have been a night to get closer to MiL turned into yet another bad experience+ruined concert.
Some people always have to complain, abd I can't abide them for much time at all, so I wholeheartedly get that!

Wouldn't the plural form of Olaf be Olaves? ;) - Firsfron of Ronchester

#398 2017-12-03 10:50:42

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

*hugs around*

I did/do feel better after writing all that out. And I did go on to write a blog post, "complaining about complaining" which kinda picks up where this post ends. Feel free to click on the linky in my sig if you're curious. And after THAT was all out, I felt even better.

Moral of the story: Don't hold things inside! lol

Tamishu's Ramblings

Board footer