Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#26 2014-03-04 15:05:04

xavie
Pilgrim
Website

Re: What do ghants look like?

Firsfron of Ronchester wrote:

Kenan wrote:

Thanks for the nightmares!!!!

Try sleeping after having that loose in your house!

*chants* I do not live in the American desert. I do not live in the American desert. Giant centipedes can't hurt me. They live thousands of kilometers away.

Also, I'm trying to forget that it's only seven months till september, which is spider high season in our garden. I don't have a problem with small spiders (one even lives in the downstairs bathroom, looking all cute and says hello every time I'm visiting.) But when they grow big and heavy, I prefer not to have them in my house.

However, silverfish make me screech.

#27 2014-03-04 16:13:16

Genisis X
Pilgrim

I'm not a big fan of the giant centipedes here, but spiders don't scare me so much. Except, one time, there was this very large, bright green one with red eyes that kind of freaked me out.

That is Just Not Right(tm).

Funnily enough the big things here are the safe ones. The dangerous ones are small. Funnel web spiders, which will kill you until you are dead with a single bite, are tiny. Although, they are positively massive compared to the irukandji which is among the deadliest things in the ocean. One of the many symptoms of Irukandji syndrome is the feeling of impending doom. No, I'm not making that up. And to think, all these foreigners are afraid of the sharks!

-X

I was going to do more things, but I'm staring uselessly at my computer again...
-Magpie

#28 2014-03-09 21:05:59

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Genisis X wrote:

That is Just Not Right(tm).

Funnily enough the big things here are the safe ones. The dangerous ones are small. Funnel web spiders, which will kill you until you are dead with a single bite, are tiny.

It's the same here: the most venomous scorpions are the tiny ones; the larger ones are mainly harmless.

Although, they are positively massive compared to the irukandji which is among the deadliest things in the ocean. One of the many symptoms of Irukandji syndrome is the feeling of impending doom. No, I'm not making that up. And to think, all these foreigners are afraid of the sharks!

Remind me to go nowhere near the water next time I'm in Australia. I already feel impending doom!

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#29 2014-04-13 18:23:12

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Tad posted the other day on FB that ghants were inspired by Coconut crabs, which can grow up to three feet long and have the colorful carapaces described in MS&T.

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#30 2014-06-08 13:16:30

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

I wonder if the text actually mentions the number of limbs on a ghant?

First off, gahhh the whole ghant nest adventure also gave me the heebie jeebies. And then Tiamak explaining what happened.. Creepy!

Anyway, Miriamele first things they have 4 limbs, but then she notices a 3rd smaller pair tucked in closer to their bodies. So I think they only have 6.

If you should do what makes you happy, and no one can tell you what makes you happy, then that means no one can tell you what to do!

Tamishu's Ramblings

#31 2014-06-08 13:58:48

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

It probably fits into this topic, that Tad's inspiration for Ghants where coconut crabs. You will have to google them for yourselves, Tad was kind (or evil) enough to do it for us in Stuttgart.

"Oh, you haven't seen *those* horrible pictures yet? Let me show you!"

May the birds who shelter in your branches never poop on the innocent. -Tad

#32 2014-06-08 14:13:58

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

I posted that two messages earlier, Peter. ;)

#33 2014-06-08 14:15:45

Aan`allein
Hierarch
Website

Peter wrote:

"Oh, you haven't seen *those* horrible pictures yet? Let me show you!"

xkcd ref :)

Mozilla developer comment of the however long it'll be this time:
<Mossop> run for the hills!
<Boriss> i can't, i'm at a local maximum!

Just Imagine...

#34 2017-11-09 21:13:31

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Board footer