Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#351 2017-10-19 21:24:24

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Re: Kassel Moot with Tad reading 17/10/13

Kia wrote:

Merenwen wrote:

ylvs wrote:

Did I tell you how much I loved the Jiriki doll? It is a true beauty!

I agree! I have seen the pictures of the doll and of Kia and Tad on your Twitter, Ylvs. It looked beautiful. By the way, what did Tad say about the doll?

Thank you, you two - I was proud to show him around (^_________^)
I think (hope?) Tad liked little Jiriki too - at least he went to fetch Deb, so some photos could be made - as it seems these found their way to Twitter.

By the time I came to fetch him from the bookstore, the staff had turned Jiriki around so he faced the street. So either the staff thought that we would attract people or they were 'scared' of his cateyes following them around ;-P

Or maybe Jiriki just tired of looking in the store, and wanted a view of the street.

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#352 2017-10-23 11:34:33

MarcoL
Pilgrim

This weekend I sent the pictures by WeTransfer to Ylvs, sahi, magpie as they were the only emailaddresses I had.
If you wish to download the photos, you can find them here https://we.tl/t1JWtnZmFW (please note that this link won’t work after 29th October). Still figuring out how I’m going to send the video since it’s almost 4GB and WeTransfer only allows a max of 2GB. The conversion software I usually use doesn’t work properly anymore (adds a big nasty watermark in the center of the screen).

BTW, love reading all the reports from the moot! I have not much to add besides the fact that I had a sore shoulder from carrying this huge bag of books (but totally worth it as they were all signed by Tad) :)

MarcoL wrote:

@ylvs, sahi, olaf, peter, magpie (+lg), kia, elfenthanz, lord varys,
Just wanna say THANKS! Both Tanya and I had a wonderful time in Kassel and it was lovely to meet you all in person. If you could PM me your email addresses so I can send you the photos and video we made by WeTransfer that’d be great. Love to see any photos and videos you all made as well (how do you usually share this kind of stuff?)

#353 2017-10-27 01:50:05

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

MarcoL wrote:

This weekend I sent the pictures by WeTransfer to Ylvs, sahi, magpie as they were the only emailaddresses I had.
If you wish to download the photos, you can find them here https://we.tl/t1JWtnZmFW (please note that this link won’t work after 29th October). Still figuring out how I’m going to send the video since it’s almost 4GB and WeTransfer only allows a max of 2GB. The conversion software I usually use doesn’t work properly anymore (adds a big nasty watermark in the center of the screen).

Dropped the ball on this, but still downloaded the pictures in time. Thank you, Marco!
People on older operating systems might not see them in the Windows Viewer, since some are in Nikon RAW format, but Windows 10 seems to handle it fine. You can always use tools like IrfanView to see them (and convert them if needed).

May the birds who shelter in your branches never poop on the innocent. -Tad

#354 2017-10-29 15:57:25

elfenthanz
Pilgrim

Peter, I just enjoyed that report of yours! :) that was so nice!

Both snow and the flower itself were unlikely to have been found in the Holy Land in those days, but that has never hurt the story's popularity.  Prologue

#355 2017-10-29 17:45:59

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Marco, I hope you don't mind (and please tell me if you do), but I rehosted your pictures and converted them to JPG with slightly higher compression (still high quality):

http://www.ingelen.at/moot_kassel_marco_small.zip

The originals are also up, but unless you want to edit them and can deal with .NEF files, the version above is probably what you want.
http://www.ingelen.at/moot_kassel_marco.zip

#356 2017-10-30 11:11:52

MarcoL
Pilgrim

Peter wrote:

Marco, I hope you don't mind (and please tell me if you do), but I rehosted your pictures and converted them to JPG with slightly higher compression (still high quality):

http://www.ingelen.at/moot_kassel_marco_small.zip

The originals are also up, but unless you want to edit them and can deal with .NEF files, the version above is probably what you want.
http://www.ingelen.at/moot_kassel_marco.zip

Hi Peter, I certainly don’t mind ! I always take pictures in the highest possible quality but forget most of the times that not everyone’s able to see raw format pictures.... Thanks;)

BTW, anyone have a good suggestion on how to convert large .mov files to a more reasonable file size? The Kassel video is almost 4GB. At the reading in Haarlem last week I made two seperate videos but they’re 3GB each.

#357 2017-10-30 11:38:48

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

I assume typical reencoding utilities like handbrake can help you there. You'll probably want to encode them as h264 and ~10 MBit/s bitrate. If you upload to Youtube the platform will convert it for the viewers, only your upload time will suffer.

#358 2017-11-03 08:02:58

MarcoL
Pilgrim

For those interested, here’s a link to the video I made at the Kassel reading
https://we.tl/aCFrd9Cw1h

And one of the reading in Haarlem
https://we.tl/Kaqknh3zZT

Both links expire 10th November

#359 2017-11-03 13:33:37

ylvs
Mantis

What application does open these files?
I do not seem to have the right one (on mac).

To meet an old friend is like the finding of a welcoming campfire in the dark. Qanuc saying
Scrollbearer
Titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Arsonist of the probably most spectacular Mint burning ever

#360 2017-11-03 13:52:50

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Windows 10 seems able to handle it, but if someone is on Windows 7, I would recommend Media Player Classic. It plays just about anything and basic use is quite simple despite the complexity behind it.

I don't know the Mac market as well, but VLC is available and VLC plays absolutely everything and then some. It might be better than MPC-HC by now, I've just been put off by early (1.0 ish) versions, which weren't very mature yet.

#361 2017-11-03 15:30:16

ylvs
Mantis

Thanks Peter. I have vlc and it works now. Whatever I did wrong before ...

To meet an old friend is like the finding of a welcoming campfire in the dark. Qanuc saying
Scrollbearer

#362 2017-11-03 15:33:55

ylvs
Mantis

Impolite me forgot: Thankeeee so much Marco!

Scrollbearer

#363 2017-11-04 02:33:11

MarcoL
Pilgrim

ylvs wrote:

Impolite me forgot: Thankeeee so much Marco!

You’re more than welcome!
I followed Peter’s suggestion and converted the .mov files form my iPhone to .mkv using Handbrake, IMHO .mkv offers better quality than .mp4 and I thought most media players support that format, guess not...
I use VLC as well as it supports basically everything there is on audio and video.

#364 2017-11-04 07:51:06

ylvs
Mantis

I posted the link to  the Haarlem vids over in the NL thread.

Scrollbearer

#365 2017-11-04 08:02:22

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Wether you use .mkv or .mp4 should not make a difference for quality. If I remember correctly, early versions of .mp4 could not handle media files larger than 4GB and the format is less flexible when it comes to subtitles, multiple streams, etc., but quality depends on the codecs and bitrates in use for audio and video and both mp4 and mkv can use a wide variety of codecs, but in most cases the H264 video codec is in use, with x264 doing the encoding.

#366 2017-11-04 11:09:08

ylvs
Mantis

ylvs wrote:

I posted the link to  the Haarlem vids over in the NL thread.

*on youtube*

Scrollbearer

#367 2017-11-13 02:29:33

xavie
Pilgrim
Website

I haven't been here for ages, but I wanted to pop in and say: The baby aloe has finished its long journey and found its way to my house. Thank you! :) I promise to take good care of it!

#368 2017-11-13 02:57:14

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

*waves madly*
Xavie!

I hope you are doing well :)

Board footer