Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.


You are not logged in.

  • Index
  •  » Osten Ard
  •  » A much too short serious TWC discussion with Dog *spoilers obviously*

#1 2017-10-20 12:24:19

ylvs
Mantis
From: Art Central
Registered: 2001-06-19
Posts: 13279

A much too short serious TWC discussion with Dog *spoilers obviously*

So here''s a summary of what we talked about yesternight on our way home:

Utuk’ku’s mask. The issue quite a few people, me included, complained about. The mask was broken and now she has a new one just like that. Dog said that it was either mended or a new one was made and he does not deem that important  as objects themselves are never important in their own right but in what they mean or  symbolize. Meaning the actual mask was never an object of power. Same goes for Ti-Tuno. I had complained during the revision process that it was broken and mended and that I could not understand how a Sithi made magic horn could be mended by mortals (also bringing upt the issue how a bone horn can be mended at all, which I personally doubt is possilble at all. But I have no real expertise on the issue. Does anybody know about mending bone horn before super glue?) and did so agin last night and he waved that off as well saying it was mended by however horns were mended and that the object itself was unimportant. The midset blowing it what is decisive.
So I now ask myself what Ruyan Ve’s armour symbolizes instead of what power it has.

The holes in Hakatri’s bones are marks from the dragon blood. I had speculated that there might be a connection between them and all the music references (Order of Song, singing a hesitancy, The Treatise of Aetherical Whispers etc) but apparently not. Another pot cracked.

I asked about the Aengas-Cadrach connection Jeremy had brought up in the other thread and Dog said: „That never crossed my mind, but it is an interesting idea.“

From here on there will be info that some sensive minds might consider spoiler land. So thread carefully

POSSIBLE MILD SPOILERS FOR EMPIRE OF GRASS POSSIBLE MILD SPOILERS FOR EMPIRE OF GRASS POSSIBLE MILD SPOILERS FOR EMPIRE OF GRASS POSSIBLE MILD SPOILERS FOR EMPIRE OF GRASS POSSIBLE MILD SPOILERS FOR EMPIRE OF GRASS POSSIBLE MILD SPOILERS FOR EMPIRE OF GRASS

He then went on how Aengas will become more important in EOG with Tiamak rebuilding the League and Aengas being the first to join. I asked how it could be the League was in such a sad state anyway and he threw his arms in the air and sighed „People make mistakes, All the time. And then they are lazy and occupied with other stuff … even the best of us are.“
And yes will find out how Derra came to the North in the first place
Dog also confirmed that Miri will be in a lot of trouble in Nabban (who would have guessed???) but was unreadable as to whether she makes it out there alive. I am worried.


I forgot to ask how Tungoldyr got repopulated. Darn.


To meet an old friend is like the finding of a welcoming campfire in the dark. Qanuc saying
Scrollbearer
Titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Arsonist of the probably most spectacular Mint burning ever

 

#2 2017-10-20 13:14:23

Sahi
Mantis
From: Assendelft (the Netherlands)
Registered: 2001-06-04
Posts: 44731
Website

Re: A much too short serious TWC discussion with Dog *spoilers obviously*

Awesome, thanks ylvs!


"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

 

#3 2017-10-20 16:03:00

RS
Pilgrim
Registered: 2016-10-11
Posts: 72

Re: A much too short serious TWC discussion with Dog *spoilers obviously*

OK that Aengas joins the league is logical. He is the type obviously. What about Brother Etan ?

 

#4 2017-10-20 18:06:41

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
From: Ronchester
Registered: 2001-06-04
Posts: 23130
Website

Re: A much too short serious TWC discussion with Dog *spoilers obviously*

Thanks for the answers, Ylvs!

But I don't really buy the 'the item holds no power' argument. If items have no power, Memory, Sorrow and Thorn wouldn't have been semi-sentient, as they clearly were in MS&T. And what about the Witnesses (both master and minor), which are clearly objects of power? And the A-genay'asu'e?


Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

 

#5 2017-10-20 18:34:29

ylvs
Mantis
From: Art Central
Registered: 2001-06-19
Posts: 13279

Re: A much too short serious TWC discussion with Dog *spoilers obviously*

It was a ten minutes walk. It was way past midnight. I did not ask those questions as he clearly talked about artificial objects which master witnesses and A-genay'asu'e are not. The swords might be the exception due to their otherworldly origin? I should have asked that. Darn.

Anyway, it is on purpose that the mask was not adressed, not by mistake. Which is good.
And I would very much like to read your argument to Dog ... but you have no time for fun, right?

*huggles*

Talking of mistakes: have you come across the number blunder?


To meet an old friend is like the finding of a welcoming campfire in the dark. Qanuc saying
Scrollbearer
Titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Arsonist of the probably most spectacular Mint burning ever

 

#6 2017-10-20 20:44:36

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
From: Ronchester
Registered: 2001-06-04
Posts: 23130
Website

Re: A much too short serious TWC discussion with Dog *spoilers obviously*

ylvs wrote:

It was a ten minutes walk. It was way past midnight. I did not ask those questions as he clearly talked about artificial objects which master witnesses and A-genay'asu'e are not.

The Mist Lamp, which is a Master Witness, is clearly humanoid-made. And it seems likely that the Shard is likely also crafted by hands. And of course Jiriki's mirror was also partially crafted, as it had a frame (source: both TGAT and SOF).

But Simon also had a glow-sphere, given to him by Morgenes just before Morgenes died. If 'the item has no power', does that mean Simon can work magic?

This solution opens too many cans of worms. I don't buy it.


Anyway, it is on purpose that the mask was not adressed, not by mistake. Which is good.
And I would very much like to read your argument to Dog ... but you have no time for fun, right?

Well, above is my argument.

It may well be that the mask has no power. This I can buy. But I don't believe magical items have no power: there are just too many examples, both clear ones and less clear ones: the Swords, glow-spheres, mirrors, Master Witnesses, A-genay'asu'e, and horns. Possibly also Bad Books (DS and more recent texts), etc.

I am quite busy; one week into another set of three ten-week classes, in addition to working more than full-time, but never too busy to point out text issues, if I see them... or explanations which make no sense.

*huggles*

*huggles back*

Talking of mistakes: have you come across the number blunder?

Which number blunder? The year blunder which we discovered last year when examining the timeline? Or the number of Red Hand being one too many for the number of A'genay'asu'e? Or something else? I recall that there was an issue with the number of Great Ships in the manuscript of TWC, but I believe that got addressed. Or am I wrong?


Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

 

#7 2017-10-23 06:11:18

ylvs
Mantis
From: Art Central
Registered: 2001-06-19
Posts: 13279

Re: A much too short serious TWC discussion with Dog *spoilers obviously*

No, the “Leleth is more than two score and ten years gone,” number blunder in TWC.
See, I thought a score was the same as a dozen, 24+10=34 years, exactly the time passed between TGAT & TWC. Turns out a score is 20 which makes it 50 years which is nonsense.
*le sigh*
It was an exchange on twitter, random guy brought it up and a Smarcher (forgot who, sorry) explained the mistake. Had something to do with the Gettysburg adress. It was kinda confusing for European me but I got the bottomline that a score quals 20 not 12 which makes this a proper number blunder.
Still not as bad as 1164 but numberblunder becomes A Thing.

*giggles*


To meet an old friend is like the finding of a welcoming campfire in the dark. Qanuc saying
Scrollbearer
Titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Arsonist of the probably most spectacular Mint burning ever

 

#8 2017-10-23 10:00:22

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
From: Ronchester
Registered: 2001-06-04
Posts: 23130
Website

Re: A much too short serious TWC discussion with Dog *spoilers obviously*

Oh, yeah. I should have caught that, as I know what a score is. But maybe there's still time to fix it for the paperback? Have you heard anything, Ylvs?


Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

 

#9 2017-10-23 10:26:56

ylvs
Mantis
From: Art Central
Registered: 2001-06-19
Posts: 13279

Re: A much too short serious TWC discussion with Dog *spoilers obviously*

I did not talk to DAW about it.


To meet an old friend is like the finding of a welcoming campfire in the dark. Qanuc saying
Scrollbearer
Titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Arsonist of the probably most spectacular Mint burning ever

 

#10 2017-10-24 07:40:59

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
From: Ronchester
Registered: 2001-06-04
Posts: 23130
Website

Re: A much too short serious TWC discussion with Dog *spoilers obviously*

Shouldn't we?


Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

 

#11 2017-10-24 08:59:41

ylvs
Mantis
From: Art Central
Registered: 2001-06-19
Posts: 13279

Re: A much too short serious TWC discussion with Dog *spoilers obviously*

Sure. I don't have any time atm but go ahead ...


To meet an old friend is like the finding of a welcoming campfire in the dark. Qanuc saying
Scrollbearer
Titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Arsonist of the probably most spectacular Mint burning ever

 

#12 2017-10-24 14:52:18

Jeremy_Erman
Pilgrim
From: California
Registered: 2012-06-24
Posts: 262

Re: A much too short serious TWC discussion with Dog *spoilers obviously*

Firs, Ylvs, I've got a list of typos and probable errors I can send you-- about a half dozen continuity stuff and I don't know how many typos.

Last edited by Jeremy_Erman (2017-10-24 14:52:30)

 

#13 2017-10-30 13:42:47

Ad1tu
Pilgrim
From: Buffysadharc
Registered: 2004-02-22
Posts: 6339

Re: A much too short serious TWC discussion with Dog *spoilers obviously*

ylvs wrote:

Talking of mistakes: have you come across the number blunder?

My brain went a little fuzzy for a second while reading this. I could've sworn it said "number blender" and was wondering why a blender would make you numb(er). Then I realized it was blunder, but still was confused what kind of blunder there was involving numbness... THEN I finally realized it was not "more numb" but rather number, like 1 2 3 ...


If you should do what makes you happy, and no one can tell you what makes you happy, then that means no one can tell you what to do!

Tamishu's Ramblings

 

#14 2017-10-30 13:55:18

ylvs
Mantis
From: Art Central
Registered: 2001-06-19
Posts: 13279

Re: A much too short serious TWC discussion with Dog *spoilers obviously*

Hahahaha, Ad1tu!

Jeremy_Erman wrote:

Firs, Ylvs, I've got a list of typos and probable errors I can send you-- about a half dozen continuity stuff and I don't know how many typos.

Sure, do. We'll pass it on.


To meet an old friend is like the finding of a welcoming campfire in the dark. Qanuc saying
Scrollbearer
Titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Arsonist of the probably most spectacular Mint burning ever

 

#15 2017-10-30 20:31:47

ajl3
Pilgrim
Registered: 2017-02-14
Posts: 361

Re: A much too short serious TWC discussion with Dog *spoilers obviously*

ylvs wrote:

Hahahaha, Ad1tu!

Jeremy_Erman wrote:

Firs, Ylvs, I've got a list of typos and probable errors I can send you-- about a half dozen continuity stuff and I don't know how many typos.

Sure, do. We'll pass it on.

I pointed out Summer Ice (for those not sure what I mean, Summer Ice is referred to in the context of a Sacrifice Nezeru beat but in the appendix it is a House of the Sacrifices) but the appendix has another one that I think is an error but Tad would have to say so for certain: "Little Gardens of Memory" is mentioned under the Sithi and not the Norns. If I recall right, these are graves or obelisks in parks, and in either case I would doubt the Sithi have those since they seem to prefer to burn the dead.

 
  • Index
  •  » Osten Ard
  •  » A much too short serious TWC discussion with Dog *spoilers obviously*

Board footer

Powered by PunBB