Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-05-29 14:41:56

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Nakkiga: the band

After doing some research today, I found out there is a heavy metal band called Nakkiga. Their 2012 album has a song on it called Utuk'ku!

Now, I'm not particularly into Metal, but I'll be getting this for my collection. I've also learned there is another album by Nakkiga called Amerasu!

(Can someone on FB please share this with Tad, if he doesn't know already?)

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#2 2014-05-30 11:07:06

Merenwen
Pilgrim

Re: Nakkiga: the band

I came across this band some time ago while searching for some fanart of MS&T. I also found a german black metal band called Eïs with a song called Jingizu.

I am a metal fan in general, but I'm not really into black metal. Nevertheless the lyrics of this song are beautiful. For the german speakers on this board I paste them here.

Eïs wrote:

Jingizu! - so viel Leid
Doch wehren meine Worte
Nicht dem Lauf der Zeit
Und nicht dem kalten Eisen
Das mein Volk verzehrt
Keiner wird entkommen
Und Flucht ist uns verwehrt.

Drum opf're ich mich auf
Und greife Dunkelheit
Von Hexenholz und Eisen
Von Spitze bis zum Knauf
So schmiede ich Verderben
Und wenn wir schon vergehen
So sollen keine Menschen
Den Erlkönig beerben.

Jingizu! - so viel Hass
So wollen wir nun sterben
Gesichter, leichenblass
Und Herzen kalt wie Eis
Noch wehre ich der Schmerzen
Doch rast bereits der Fluch
So heiß in meinem Herzen.

By the way, I followed your link and your collection is really impressive, Firsfron!

Last edited by Merenwen (2014-05-30 11:33:58)

#3 2014-05-30 12:16:52

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Merenwen wrote:

I came across this band some time ago while searching for some fanart of MS&T. I also found a german black metal band called Eïs with a song called Jingizu.

I am a metal fan in general, but I'm not really into black metal. Nevertheless the lyrics of this song are beautiful. For the german speakers on this board I paste them here.

Thanks for the info, Merenwen! At some point, I'll probably add that to my collection as well. I did a quick machine translation of the lyrics you provided, and the lyrics seem quite apt for a song called Jingizu, telling Ineluki's story at the end:

Eïs wrote:

Jingizu! - So much suffering
But defend my words
Not the passage of time
And not the cold iron
That consumed my people
No one will escape
And escape is denied us.

So I opf're me on
And grab darkness
From witches wood and iron
From tip to the pommel
So I wrought destruction
And if we go by already
So should not people
The Erl king inherit.

Jingizu! - So much hate
So we now want to die
Faces, pale as a corpse
And heart as cold as ice
I still defend the pain
But already hurtling the curse
So hot in my heart..

Merenwen wrote:

By the way, I followed your link and your collection is really impressive, Firsfron!

Thanks, Merenwen! It's quite small compared to Olaf's massive Tad collection (sort of like Hjeldin's Tower looking over at Green Angel Tower) but I'm proud of what I've been able to collect over the years, and I think the MS&T part is actually quite robust, so I'm happy. :)

Merenwen, do you collect? If so, what do you have?

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#4 2014-05-30 12:57:02

Olaf
Mantis
Website

Firs, You are far, far too modest:-)

Scrollbearer

Writing books, especially long books, is a careful balance between laziness and masochism.
Tad Williams

#5 2014-05-30 12:59:48

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

No, no. You, Sir Olaf, are far too modest. :)

#6 2014-05-30 20:47:17

Neemo
Pilgrim
Website

What kind of metal? Where are they from?

#7 2014-05-30 20:52:37

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

It's... Metal. No idea about the sub-genre.

I think they are from Spain.

Here's a sample of Nakkiga's "Amerasu".

#8 2014-05-30 20:56:51

Genisis X
Pilgrim

Firsfron of Ronchester wrote:

No, no. You, Sir Olaf, are far too modest. :)

Pfft. I'm more modest than the both of you put together!

-X

I was going to do more things, but I'm staring uselessly at my computer again...
-Magpie

#9 2014-05-30 21:01:01

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

And you demonstrate it, Gen! ;)

#10 2014-05-30 21:37:13

Neemo
Pilgrim
Website

It's... Metal. No idea about the sub-genre.

I think they are from Spain.

Here's a sample of Nakkiga's "Amerasu".

Yea that's black metal... a bit too heavy off my tastes... but I'm not stranger to this type of music... those these days I'm more of a rolling stones or pink Floyd kinda guy lol

They've been around a while...1999 apparently

This page says from Spain

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Nakkiga/13491

#11 2014-05-30 22:44:21

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Great link, Neemo! Looks as though they have an EP with tracks named "Bukken" and "Urmsheim". I hadn't seen that before.

#12 2014-05-31 10:52:19

Merenwen
Pilgrim

Thanks, Merenwen! It's quite small compared to Olaf's massive Tad collection (sort of like Hjeldin's Tower looking over at Green Angel Tower) but I'm proud of what I've been able to collect over the years, and I think the MS&T part is actually quite robust, so I'm happy. :)

Merenwen, do you collect? If so, what do you have?

I have to say, I'm a bit jealous of your and Olaf's collection. :) I'm already glad when I find some free space where I can place a new book, so my collection of books written by Tad is actually pretty small compared to yours and reduces to one edition per book. I have the german paperbacks of MS&T, Otherland and the german hardcover of Shadowmarch. Also the german stand-alone novel and the graphic novel of The Burning Man. I only have an english e-book version of MS&T and The Burning Man, but I want to buy an english edition of the books someday because I like real books more than e-books.

#13 2014-05-31 11:22:17

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Merenwen wrote:

I'm already glad when I find some free space where I can place a new book, so my collection of books written by Tad is actually pretty small compared to yours and reduces to one edition per book. I have the german paperbacks of MS&T, Otherland and the german hardcover of Shadowmarch. Also the german stand-alone novel and the graphic novel of The Burning Man. I only have an english e-book version of MS&T and The Burning Man, but I want to buy an english edition of the books someday because I like real books more than e-books.

I'm like you, Merenwen: I prefer real books over e-books. But real books do take up so much space. Especially when we are talking about very long four-book "trilogies" where each volume is very thick. And it's hard to imagine anything much thicker than MS&T, Otherland, and Shadowmarch.

#14 2014-05-31 12:35:51

Neemo
Pilgrim
Website

I've started to buy that Malazan book of the fallen series...10 books, approx. 9000 pages in all... will take me a while to finish I'm sure... lol

But yea my tad shelf and my wheel of time shelf are about equal

#15 2014-05-31 17:22:23

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Neemo wrote:

But yea my tad shelf and my wheel of time shelf are about equal

Not mine. My WOT books fit on 1.5 shelves. My Tad books barely all fit into one 7-shelf bookcase. Once the new arrivals come in, I'll probably need to start building up.

#16 2014-06-14 10:39:05

Merenwen
Pilgrim

Just found another german metal band called "Rimmersgard". On their album "Erzherz" they have a song called "Circle of the Scroll (Jarnauga II)". I can't find a sample of this CD or where you can buy it at the moment, because it seems that the album had been a limited in-house production of the band itself. It is described as Folk / Pagan Metal.

[Edit] The only sample I found so far is of the song "Jarnauga", but it is a youtube-record from their first demo, not from the album, so the quality is very bad.

Last edited by Merenwen (2014-06-14 10:54:41)

#17 2014-06-14 13:07:12

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Neat find, Merenwen!

I found a bit more on Discogs, which, in addition to their CD, lists a demo tape with the following songs:

A1    Intro (Entering Erchester)    
A2     Rimmersgard    
A3     Jarnauga    
A4     Surrender And Submerge    
A5     Loneliness My Friend    
B1     Battle Of The Five Hordes    
B2     Rays Of Sunset    
B3     Outro (Leaving Erkynland)

#18 2014-06-14 15:39:50

xavie
Pilgrim
Website

After doing some research today, I found out there is a heavy metal band called Nakkiga. Their 2012 album has a song on it called Utuk'ku!

Now, I'm not particularly into Metal, but I'll be getting this for my collection. I've also learned there is another album by Nakkiga called Amerasu!

(Can someone on FB please share this with Tad, if he doesn't know already?)

LOL
You are charmingly obsessive :)

#19 2014-06-15 07:58:55

Merenwen
Pilgrim

Neat find, Merenwen!

I found a bit more on Discogs, which, in addition to their CD, lists a demo tape with the following songs:

A1    Intro (Entering Erchester)    
A2     Rimmersgard    
A3     Jarnauga    
A4     Surrender And Submerge    
A5     Loneliness My Friend    
B1     Battle Of The Five Hordes    
B2     Rays Of Sunset    
B3     Outro (Leaving Erkynland)

Thanks for the research, Firsfron! So it seems that they have some more MS&T songs. It would be nice if I could find some more samples. My first impression was that they aren't as heavy as Nakkiga or Eis. The lyrics were actually sung and not screamed, which I like more.

#20 2014-06-15 08:36:15

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

My copies of Amerasu and Belebeltzeta (with "Utuk'ku") arrived in the mail the other day. Amerasu has a creepy Norn on the cover, and a close-up of her face on the disc itself. It's appropriately creepy.

#21 2014-06-15 08:37:26

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Merenwen wrote:

The lyrics were actually sung and not screamed

...always a plus.

#22 2017-10-30 05:22:31

Merenwen
Pilgrim

*resurrects thread*

I wanted to show you something I have found in the deep dark corners of the internet: Dutch death metal band Pleurisy has a special tribute song on their album Experience The Sacrilege (2000). Here is the track list:

Experience The Sacrilege wrote:

1. Mission Transformed    05:08
2. Experience the Sacrilege    06:53
3. Bid Your Pleasures    05:41
4. Gone From the Sun    04:21
5. Ineluki    06:20
6. Divinity in Decay    01:42
7. Witchcraft    04:16
8. Trail of Destination    07:25
9. In Darkness (Mortification of Flesh)    05:13

:D

Still, death metal is not my genre. I still hope for some epic power / symphonic metal tributes, or something with clear vocals at least. With the release of the new books, maybe there will be more bands writing something Osten Ard related.

#23 2017-10-30 13:27:41

ajl3
Pilgrim

Merenwen wrote:

*resurrects thread*

I wanted to show you something I have found in the deep dark corners of the internet: Dutch death metal band Pleurisy has a special tribute song on their album Experience The Sacrilege (2000). Here is the track list:

Still, death metal is not my genre. I still hope for some epic power / symphonic metal tributes, or something with clear vocals at least. With the release of the new books, maybe there will be more bands writing something Osten Ard related.

I'm actually surprised Blind Guardian has never done a MST song.

#24 2017-10-30 14:20:29

Merenwen
Pilgrim

ajl3 wrote:

I'm actually surprised Blind Guardian has never done a MST song.

Yes, they have a lot of Tolkien influenced songs, but nothing about MST, unfortunately.

#25 2017-10-30 18:50:03

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Merenwen wrote:

*resurrects thread*

Nice find, Merenwen!!!

Board footer