Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-10-25 14:38:20

Rook
Mantis
Website

Ready Player One

So, has anyone read this yet?  I've been listening to a podcast about it.

It sounds a lot like Otherland, only not as well written.  Parallels are there, though: people live their lives on a virtual world and are hounded by a real world conspiracy.  The biggest difference is that the virtual worlds are based generally on 1980's properties rather than, say, Alice in Wonderland and Egypt.

“The past,” they say, “is now truly like a foreign country. They do things exactly the same there.” --- Douglas Adams

Rooktopia! (Personal)

#2 2017-10-25 21:08:34

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Re: Ready Player One

Haven't read it.

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#3 2017-10-25 23:24:39

Sahi
Mantis
Website

I haven't read it yet, but I've heard people raving about it.

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#4 2017-10-26 09:04:54

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

I've heard a lot of people raving about it, but more telling is the people I trust more saying it isn't that good. So.. I dunno. Maybe I'll get it from the library.

If you should do what makes you happy, and no one can tell you what makes you happy, then that means no one can tell you what to do!

Tamishu's Ramblings

#5 2017-10-26 09:34:51

Rook
Mantis
Website

It seems to have a love it/ hate it rep.

The podcast I am listening to doesn’t like it... but they admit upfront that there are people they know who love it, and that they might not be the target audience necessarily.

“The past,” they say, “is now truly like a foreign country. They do things exactly the same there.” --- Douglas Adams

Rooktopia! (Personal)

#6 2017-10-26 13:39:22

Seitherin
Mantis
Website

I've read it. I seem to have liked it. I gave it three stars at Goodreads. I don't actually remember anything about the book since it's been more than a year since I read it and I tend not to retain books I read for pleasure.

I found my post about reading the book: "Regarding Ready Player One . . . OMG! Pop culture references that I actually get."

Post about finishing the book: "Finished Ready Player One, Cute read."

"The evil done by men of goodwill is the worst of all." Iain Pears, The Dream of Scipio

"Where all think alike, no one thinks very much." Walter Lippmann (1889-1974)

So, I've got a blog . . . Now what? | A Stitch in Time | The Name Nook

Board footer