Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

• Index
  •  » Osten Ard
  •  » FINALLY - The Witchwood Crown discussion thread is here

#826 2017-09-17 00:17:17

ylvs
Mantis

Re: FINALLY - The Witchwood Crown discussion thread is here

ajl3 wrote:

Edit: hold up, there's an idea I never considered - could the Island of Bones be part of what's left of the West? It's at least several days to the west, Tad didn't want it on the map, Hakatri is there...

Good thought! Makes absolut sense to me.

To meet an old friend is like the finding of a welcoming campfire in the dark. Qanuc saying
Scrollbearer
Titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Arsonist of the probably most spectacular Mint burning ever

#827 2017-09-17 00:36:27

ajl3
Pilgrim

Firsfron of Ronchester wrote:

Jiriki-sá-Vinitta wrote:

Finally it was published in Austria as well this week and I got my copy. At least the first part, as it is splitted into two parts here. Have to wait for the second one until November :(

Read the first 200 pages yesterday and it was like being at home again. Such a fantastic feeling having a new story set in this world. I'll probably finish it today. And soon will reread Memory, Sorrow, Thorn for the "I don't know how muchth" (I guess 8th or 9th) time.

Glad you are enjoying, Jiriki! Glad you are back home.

I'm not even one of the German/European readers and the cover art they chose is driving me mad. It's cool looking, but why is the horn on volume one and not two?

#828 2017-09-18 02:40:00

Jiriki-sá-Vinitta
Pilgrim

ajl3 wrote:

Jiriki-sá-Vinitta wrote:

Finally it was published in Austria as well this week and I got my copy. At least the first part, as it is splitted into two parts here. Have to wait for the second one until November :(

Read the first 200 pages yesterday and it was like being at home again. Such a fantastic feeling having a new story set in this world. I'll probably finish it today. And soon will reread Memory, Sorrow, Thorn for the "I don't know how muchth" (I guess 8th or 9th) time.

I'm not even one of the German/European readers and the cover art they chose is driving me mad. It's cool looking, but why is the horn on volume one and not two?

Really don't know. It definitely wasn't even mentioned once.

I've finished the first part and it was great so far. Still have to wait two months for the second part :(
And before this I can't even discuss it with you, mostly because I'm afraid of possible spoilers here.

#829 2017-09-18 06:13:24

ylvs
Mantis

ajl3 wrote:

Exactly. I meant to ask the German editor about this for ages. Finally did. Thanks ajl3.

To meet an old friend is like the finding of a welcoming campfire in the dark. Qanuc saying
Scrollbearer

#830 2017-09-18 10:05:30

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

ylvs wrote:

ajl3 wrote:

Edit: hold up, there's an idea I never considered - could the Island of Bones be part of what's left of the West? It's at least several days to the west, Tad didn't want it on the map, Hakatri is there...

Good thought! Makes absolut sense to me.

But Ijsgard was full of iron, and the Island of Bones doesn't seem to have any iron... none that was mentioned, anyway.

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#831 2017-09-19 12:57:56

RS
Pilgrim

Back again. I made a point of not rereading TWC during this last month, but might get back to it soon. In fact I am waiting for a collective reread so as to put some order in the many ideas circulating. Maybe it is still too early, and probably will still be for some time. But ...

One note. I spent a week with my seventeen year old grandson this summer and must admit that Tad's description of Morgan really rings true on some aspects. He must have had a real life model under hand.

#832 2017-09-19 13:00:23

ylvs
Mantis

Oh, he had and he does.

*grins*

Scrollbearer

#833 2017-09-22 02:12:37

ajl3
Pilgrim

Jiriki-sá-Vinitta wrote:

ajl3 wrote:

Really don't know. It definitely wasn't even mentioned once.

I've finished the first part and it was great so far. Still have to wait two months for the second part :(
And before this I can't even discuss it with you, mostly because I'm afraid of possible spoilers here.

What chapter does the first part end on? Either way it must be killer. I hope the font is at least not super tiny in return for the book being split. I just looked at my hardcover TGAT and have no idea how I read it.

#834 2017-09-22 03:32:38

ylvs
Mantis

Iirc it ends with A High, Dark Place.

Scrollbearer

#835 2017-09-26 23:51:01

ajl3
Pilgrim

Jarnulf's Father Talk:

Rereading his first chapter, he says that the "Monk's Night Prayer" was his Father's favorite verse. The name adds further evidence to the "Father" being a religious official and even adds to the guess of it being Brother Langarius (don't know if I messed up the name, but the surviving monk who decides to stay at the abbey and thinks the End of Days are coming) as it is specifically a monk's prayer.

#836 2017-09-27 00:51:08

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Brother Langrian. :) And a most excellent catch, Ajl3.

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#837 2017-09-29 04:16:11

ajl3
Pilgrim

From TGAT, a possible tie to HOWWL's "darkness that breathes" and TWC's "true names of Darkness": the Wran has gods known as "They Who Breathe Darkness". EDIT: to clarify, this appears to be the name of some evil gods in the Wran and Tiamak mentions them in connection to being taken by the ghants.

More amusingly, there's also a section where Simon is hoping that someone makes a ballad about him and his friends deeds.

Last edited by ajl3 (2017-09-29 14:32:02)

#838 2017-10-11 11:26:06

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

ajl3 wrote:

I know I mentioned it offhandedly in a very different post, so I just wanted to take one to point out that Morgan

SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

fulfills one of the three bone toss prophecies at the end of the book! The three he gets are Black Crevice, Clouds in the Pass, and Unnatural Birth.

When they visit the Sithi, the tree that Likimeya and the butterflies are housed in is described using these words. It's noticeable, but somewhat obscured in that Tad uses two separate paragraphs and in one calls it a crevice then in the other calls it a black hole into the tree. I'm guessing this leaves Clouds in the Pass for Book 2 and Unnatural Birth for Book 3. EDIT: Clouds in the Pass=Morgan ends up at the Knock and gets kidnapped by Cloud Children?

Considering what we have put together about John Josua, it seems ominous that the "you won't get what you want or not quite like you wanted it" bone is called Unnatural Birth.

I don't think Black Crevice should be taken so literally, but if it is it could be the opening at the top of Hjeldin's Tower too. Would be kind of typical that a crevice is at the top of a tower. But otherwise I imagine him going through a dark and difficult time. That could be the entire end of the book.

Likewise clouds in the pass is probably a time of uncertainty, and unnatural birth is something like Him becoming the king, but not in a way that he expected.

Wouldn't the plural form of Olaf be Olaves? ;) - Firsfron of Ronchester

#839 2017-10-17 14:55:20

Jeremy_Erman
Pilgrim

I am intrigued by the possibility that Aengas, or a relative of his, was a patron of Cadrach's.

Cadrach to Miriamele in Ch 9 of To Green Angel Tower:

When the keepers of the Tethtain Library told me I would no longer be welcomed there, I fell down as into a deep hole, a season-long riot of black drunkenness from which I awoke to find myself by the side of a road outside Abaingeat, naked and without a cintis-piece. Clothed only in brambles and leaves like the lowest beast, I made my way by night to the house of a nobleman I knew, a good man and a lover of learning who had been, from time to time, my willing patron. He let me in, fed me, then gave me a bed for the night. When the sun rose, he gave me a monk's gown that had belonged to his brother and wished me good luck and Godspeed away from his house.

There was disgust in his eyes that morning, Lady, a kind of loathing that I pray you never see in the eyes of another person. He knew of my habits, you see, and my tale of abduction and robbery did not fool him.

Aengas mentions his mother using Eolair as an example of good behavior to him, so maybe he's too young to have been Cadrach's patron, but my impression of him is that he's at least as old as Tiamak. Is there a family of Abaingeat scholars who have been assisting Scrollbearers for decades? Also, both Cadrach's patron and Aengas have a brother, although that could be coincidence.

I admit I'm confused by all the place names associated with Aengas. He is referred to as Aengas ec-Carpilbin, but also "of Ban Farrig", and "former Viscount of Abaingeat", where he now works as First Factor of Abaingeat for the Northern Alliance. I thought that "ec-" indicated where a Hernystirman was from, but maybe it just indicates birthplace?

#840 2017-10-17 15:15:44

ylvs
Mantis

Jeremy, that is a very interesting question. I'll ask Tad tomorrow.

Scrollbearer

#841 2017-10-17 17:30:21

Jeremy_Erman
Pilgrim

ylvs wrote:

Jeremy, that is a very interesting question. I'll ask Tad tomorrow.

Haha! If only we could say that so easily every day!

I actually e-mailed Tad a few days ago about something else (hopefully it didn't show up as spam), but now I realize that the postscript to my e-mail belongs on this thread. I wrote:

P.S. Tad, I know why you put the Quarely Maid chapter in THE WITCHWOOD CROWN where you did. I know why the scene takes place at noon. I know your secret plot to make the QM the center of the book, even though it only appears in one scene. You are one clever Dog. :)

Anyone know what I'm referring to? :)

#842 2017-10-18 04:49:24

ajl3
Pilgrim

Jeremy_Erman wrote:

I am intrigued by the possibility that Aengas, or a relative of his, was a patron of Cadrach's.

Cadrach to Miriamele in Ch 9 of To Green Angel Tower:

When the keepers of the Tethtain Library told me I would no longer be welcomed there, I fell down as into a deep hole, a season-long riot of black drunkenness from which I awoke to find myself by the side of a road outside Abaingeat, naked and without a cintis-piece. Clothed only in brambles and leaves like the lowest beast, I made my way by night to the house of a nobleman I knew, a good man and a lover of learning who had been, from time to time, my willing patron. He let me in, fed me, then gave me a bed for the night. When the sun rose, he gave me a monk's gown that had belonged to his brother and wished me good luck and Godspeed away from his house.

There was disgust in his eyes that morning, Lady, a kind of loathing that I pray you never see in the eyes of another person. He knew of my habits, you see, and my tale of abduction and robbery did not fool him.

Aengas mentions his mother using Eolair as an example of good behavior to him, so maybe he's too young to have been Cadrach's patron, but my impression of him is that he's at least as old as Tiamak. Is there a family of Abaingeat scholars who have been assisting Scrollbearers for decades? Also, both Cadrach's patron and Aengas have a brother, although that could be coincidence.

I admit I'm confused by all the place names associated with Aengas. He is referred to as Aengas ec-Carpilbin, but also "of Ban Farrig", and "former Viscount of Abaingeat", where he now works as First Factor of Abaingeat for the Northern Alliance. I thought that "ec-" indicated where a Hernystirman was from, but maybe it just indicates birthplace?

I don't have anything to add beyond this being an interesting thought and you must be very sharp to pick that up. If not Aengas, perhaps his father or someone else in the family was Cadrach's patron. Speaking of, I wonder if Cadrach's weird hometown will ever come up? It's one of those parts of TGAT that stick out to me even years later, if not in specifics but in the general feel of how strange and eerie it was: were there ever any threads on it here? (Namely, its weird architecture and design.)

Last edited by ajl3 (2017-10-18 04:49:57)

#843 2017-10-18 06:57:22

ylvs
Mantis

Thought about it Jeremy and have to admit I dunno what you are referring to.

*hangs head in shame*

Scrollbearer

#844 2017-10-23 03:12:57

ajl3
Pilgrim

Do we think Jarnulf's knife is A Thing or just a unique weapon to make the character stand out? It made me think he was Deonorth until Unver showed up due to the similarity to Naidel.

#845 2017-10-23 10:08:57

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

ajl3 wrote:

I don't have anything to add beyond this being an interesting thought and you must be very sharp to pick that up. If not Aengas, perhaps his father or someone else in the family was Cadrach's patron. Speaking of, I wonder if Cadrach's weird hometown will ever come up? It's one of those parts of TGAT that stick out to me even years later, if not in specifics but in the general feel of how strange and eerie it was: were there ever any threads on it here? (Namely, its weird architecture and design.)

We definitely discussed Crannhyr in the re-read threads.

#846 2017-10-23 10:09:18

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

ylvs wrote:

Thought about it Jeremy and have to admit I dunno what you are referring to.

*hangs head in shame*

Same here.

#847 2017-10-23 10:10:25

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

ajl3 wrote:

Do we think Jarnulf's knife is A Thing or just a unique weapon to make the character stand out? It made me think he was Deonorth until Unver showed up due to the similarity to Naidel.

That's a good question. What sort of Thing might it be?

#848 2017-10-23 13:40:00

ajl3
Pilgrim

ajl3 wrote:

That's a good question. What sort of Thing might it be?

I'm not sure. I think part of the reason it's mentioned so much early on is a red herring to make returning readers think of Josua and his son (tying in to Unver not being introduced until nearly 300 pages in and Jarnulf's too young age of 28 not being given until a few chapters before the actual identity reveal). I just wonder if it has a special history or if we will see the origin of the knife in future books, since it seems important to him.

• Index
  •  » Osten Ard
  •  » FINALLY - The Witchwood Crown discussion thread is here

Board footer