Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#101 2017-07-14 12:04:29

Olaf
Mantis
Website

Re: The Witchwood Crown: Reviews and Reactions

new interview in German and English:

https://stuffed-shelves.de/im-gespraech … -williams/

Scrollbearer

Writing books, especially long books, is a careful balance between laziness and masochism.
Tad Williams

#102 2017-07-15 01:20:33

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

*fidgets*

I'm keeping an eye on the Goodreads rating, which is holding at a high 4.38.
But the problem is there are only 150 odd ratings so far. I guess it does take more than 2 weeks to read for an average reader though. But I was hoping to see more scores coming in soon.

Wouldn't the plural form of Olaf be Olaves? ;) - Firsfron of Ronchester

#103 2017-07-15 02:35:37

ylvs
Mantis

Haha. Good to know that I am not the only one checking the ratings compulsorily ...

To meet an old friend is like the finding of a welcoming campfire in the dark. Qanuc saying
Scrollbearer
Titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Arsonist of the probably most spectacular Mint burning ever

#104 2017-07-15 03:12:23

ajl3
Pilgrim

It's about what I'd expect: first week is 0-3/day ratings added, second week 3-8/day, current is 7-11/day. This being fantasy genre, though, the higher activity has been on Dragonbone Chair as people start there or are rereading first: 20/day ratings average for months. I think the thing to recall is that MST sort of fell by the wayside after the 90s, but over the last few years has started to be rediscovered: I actually am seeing people on r/fantasy picking them up and talking about them, which I don't think I used to. Also, new readers on HOWWL, which is nice to see.

EDIT: Actually stopped by my local used book store to finally grab a nice hardcover of Stone of Farewell since I have Dragonbone and Green Angel Tower in hardcover and their selection had been picked over. They used to have like 20 of Tad's hardcovers and now all that was left was a copy of Child of the Ancient City and a Stone of Farewell that was falling apart. Same with paperbacks.

Last edited by ajl3 (2017-07-15 12:55:15)

#105 2017-07-16 04:21:30

Olaf
Mantis
Website

Have we seen this review from the UK´s Daily Mail yet:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/books/a … NTASY.html

Scrollbearer

Writing books, especially long books, is a careful balance between laziness and masochism.
Tad Williams

#106 2017-07-16 17:35:39

pixiejen
Pilgrim
Website

Olaf wrote:

Have we seen this review from the UK´s Daily Mail yet:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/books/a … NTASY.html

Wow, I want a UK copy.  Looks smashing!

"When the windows of perception are cleansed, man will see the universe as it truly is - infinite."

-W. Blake.

pixiejen.com

#107 2017-07-18 12:22:11

Olaf
Mantis
Website

Scrollbearer

Tad Williams

#108 2017-07-18 12:36:15

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

OMG why does she compare Pryrates to Gandalf and Dumbledore?! What about Morgenes?

#109 2017-07-18 13:15:23

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

I definitely wouldn't consider that a spoiler-free review (it's chock-full of spoilers, actually), but I thought it was a great review. She's got some great theories. Like, like, like!

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#110 2017-07-19 01:19:37

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

On goodreads the number of ratings is climbing steadily, and so is the score! 4.43 now.

#111 2017-08-03 02:53:22

ajl3
Pilgrim

This blog has reviews on Witchwood Crown (and Heart of What Was Lost), plus a critical look at other books by Tad (called "Reading Tad Williams"), and I've found them generally pretty interesting to read even after having read the books myself (WARNING: as the review itself states, MAJOR spoilers for Witchwood Crown): https://tjwest3.com/2017/07/18/reading- … osten-ard/

Last edited by ajl3 (2017-08-03 02:53:42)

#112 2017-08-09 11:40:04

ylvs
Mantis

Larry posted his thoughts on TWC on his blog

To meet an old friend is like the finding of a welcoming campfire in the dark. Qanuc saying
Scrollbearer

#113 2017-08-10 10:02:24

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

ylvs wrote:

Larry posted his thoughts on TWC on his blog

What a great review! I saw it the other day, but haven't had a chance to talk about it.

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#114 2017-10-08 14:40:09

ylvs
Mantis

The review I've been waiting for for literally months now: Adam Whitehead aka Wearthead from westeros.org

Take that PSD.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!

Scrollbearer

#115 2017-10-08 14:46:41

Olaf
Mantis
Website

He is one of the most knowledgeable reviewers around. And this review is thoughtful, substantial and literate.

Scrollbearer

Tad Williams

#116 2017-10-08 14:48:24

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

That's quite a nice review. As Olaf says: thoughtful, substantial and literate.

Board footer