Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-09-01 15:34:01

ajl3
Pilgrim

GOT parallels in Witchwood Crown

Spoilers for the entire book and for GRRM's "A Song of Ice and Fire" for the entire thread.

With this new trilogy, Tad has said he wants to bounce off GRRM in the way GRRM bounced off him and "continue the conversation," so I thought it might be fun to point out the echoes between the books.

First of all, Passavelles is Littlefinger's origins and villainy with Varys' motivations: a kid who had to scrape his way up the ladder to his current position, is trusted and runs the kingdom well, and yet is a villain - but also seems to have a "I serve the good of the Realm, someone has to" motivation.

#2 2017-09-02 00:19:08

ylvs
Mantis

Re: GOT parallels in Witchwood Crown

I noticed a few nods plot wise: A Grassland wedding => The Red Wedding, the patricide of Vorzheva => Tyrion killing Tywin, Pasevalles pushing Idela down the stairs => Littlefinger killing Lysa Arryn.

To meet an old friend is like the finding of a welcoming campfire in the dark. Qanuc saying
Scrollbearer
Titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Arsonist of the probably most spectacular Mint burning ever

#3 2017-09-02 01:31:17

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

Wasn't Littlefinger tossing Lysa Arryn out the moon door a reply to Simon flinging the dragon off the mountain already? :D

Wouldn't the plural form of Olaf be Olaves? ;) - Firsfron of Ronchester

#4 2017-09-02 01:33:35

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

Off topic: My favourite death from a height is in The Belgariad when Silk tosses that rogue off a wall and someone asks where he went. "He's learning to fly" "was he successful?" "does it count if he bounces?" cracks me up...

Haven't thought so much about the conversation between Williams and Martin in the latest novel...

Wouldn't the plural form of Olaf be Olaves? ;) - Firsfron of Ronchester

#5 2017-09-02 02:18:54

ajl3
Pilgrim

ylvs wrote:

I noticed a few nods plot wise: A Grassland wedding => The Red Wedding, the patricide of Vorzheva => Tyrion killing Tywin, Pasevalles pushing Idela down the stairs => Littlefinger killing Lysa Arryn.

I think the full Red Wedding equivalent will be in Empire of Grass, with the wedding Miri (and Simon) was invited to. It's likely a similar trap, but hopefully Miri will end up in a better place than Cat Stark.

#6 2017-09-02 03:03:07

ylvs
Mantis

Not too sure about this. It is a wedding between already allies (Drusis and Dallo's daughter) who both oppose the current rule in Nabban. Do you expect the groom to murder his brother and the Highqueen during the feast?

Don't get me wrong. Nabban is a snake pit and I do fear for Miri's safety there. I just don't feel like the wedding itself will be it.

To meet an old friend is like the finding of a welcoming campfire in the dark. Qanuc saying
Scrollbearer
Titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Arsonist of the probably most spectacular Mint burning ever

#7 2017-09-05 05:52:24

ajl3
Pilgrim

ajl3 wrote:

Spoilers for the entire book and for GRRM's "A Song of Ice and Fire" for the entire thread.

With this new trilogy, Tad has said he wants to bounce off GRRM in the way GRRM bounced off him and "continue the conversation," so I thought it might be fun to point out the echoes between the books.

First of all, Passavelles is Littlefinger's origins and villainy with Varys' motivations: a kid who had to scrape his way up the ladder to his current position, is trusted and runs the kingdom well, and yet is a villain - but also seems to have a "I serve the good of the Realm, someone has to" motivation.

Something to add to this that slipped my mind: Idela is set up as a Cersei type - the royal seductress, using her body to keep hold of power, with potentially sinister intentions (the scene where Etan gets drunk definitely plays as if she's drugging him or giving him stuff that's much more powerful alcohol wise than she says, but in retrospect he's probably just overreacting). Not only is there a twist of her not being this role, but Passavelles turns out to fill the "seductress" role himself in a gender-flip.

#8 2017-09-26 23:52:41

ajl3
Pilgrim

I forgot an obvious one: Master Denabi is Arya's "dance instructor".

Board footer