Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-09-25 11:23:13

Rook
Mantis
Website

The Tick

Have you heard the good news?  It's about Arthur's destiny.

So a little late here... or maybe not... but I just binge watched The Tick on Amazon Prime.  Unlike other Binge watches, this one took less than 3 hours.  (There are only six eps right now that are half an hour each, due to the fact that Amazon is playing around with a new format: only release half a season at a time to build up antici-... pation.)

I was a fan of the 90's cartoon, didn't watch the 2000's sitcom.  I think that this new show falls closer in line with the cartoon.  Peter Serafinowicz is doing a straight up impersonation of the original cartoon hero, which is basically a twist on Adam West's Batman.  There are goofy costumed heroes like Superion (a take-off of Superman) and silly villains (like Miss Lint, who has electric powers that tend to attract dust particles.  Will "CHA" be carved into the moon?  On this show... it's a possibility.

But you know what's really nifty?  This might be the most traditionally superheroic show on the air right now.  Like, there's a scene where The Tick and Arthur save people from a crashed bus.  I've seen a lot of modern day superhero shows --- from Arrow to Flash to Daredevil to the Defenders --- and very few of them do a superhero who straight up just saves people from danger.  (Supergirl is probably the closest.) 

There's a mystery at the core, too, which does make me eager to see how the second half of Season One unfolds.  I got theories, but to this show's benefit I'm unsure of the direction the show's going to take.

“The past,” they say, “is now truly like a foreign country. They do things exactly the same there.” --- Douglas Adams

Rooktopia! (Personal)

Board footer