Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#51 2017-08-08 16:11:09

Auros
Pilgrim
Website

Re: What was your favorite book as a child?

I only learned about Ronia a few years ago.  A German friend of mine named her kittens Ronia and Birk.

Irreverent Father Auros, High Priest of the Church of Erotic Pantheism
the Aurosphere -- Me, myself, and I.
Strange Horizons -- Your weekly source for speculative fiction.
The Resistance wants YOU to defend humanity from Alien Mind Control!

#52 2017-08-09 08:16:50

Diorna
Pilgrim

Re: What was your favorite book as a child?

Auros wrote:

I only learned about Ronia a few years ago.  A German friend of mine named her kittens Ronia and Birk.

Ronja became a widely-spread name for girl's since that book came out in Germany. Last year it made the Top 100 easily. I guess Birk was not as successful, because is sounds too harsh for the current preference for sonorants.

Just found the second page of this thread :)

ylvs wrote:

Auros wrote:

The Neverending Story by Michael Ende

Got this for Christmas when it was first published. I was nine. Started reading asap after dinner and prezzies on Christmas Eve, fell asleep over it during the night, continued reading all Christmas Day and was done on the morning of Boxing Day. My first binge read ever. Oh, how I loved this book. And how beautiful that first edition was. Red silken cover and printed in read and green. The most beautiful book. I think it's the first book I ever hugged.

Awwww!
And Janusz Korczak, too! Did you know, that he and the children were deported 75 years and 4 days ago? I gave my husband a 20-minutes-lecture on the man and his pedagogics, when we heard this in the car radio.

Yes! Yes! Yes! To all the Calvin and Hobbes comments :) I loved those as a teenager.

Does anyone know Der kleine Vampir/The little vampire?

Last edited by Diorna (2017-08-09 08:54:13)

Board footer