Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#351 2016-07-25 12:27:27

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Re: Who are you?

I pity anyone doing surveillance on my life. At best, they'll be bored to death. Most likely they'll need counseling :D

"hitting the snooze button is totally an act of worship and not laziness"  -Magpie, slightly out of context

#352 2016-07-25 12:40:04

Kia
Pilgrim
Website

Peter wrote:

I pity anyone doing surveillance on my life. At best, they'll be bored to death. Most likely they'll need counseling :D

Let's start a 'bore out' contest then - but I must warn you: I have gained mastery in lying around like narcotized cat. The only way to rise me from the almost-brain dead is a big cup of ice cream (^____^)

#353 2016-07-25 12:41:49

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Kia wrote:

*something is moving under the dust* *coff coff* *is climbing out of the pits of lurking and shakes herself so dusk is spread everywhere*

Hi everyone *hopes this is the right thread*,

It is! :)

After long long years of lurking in the ‘Tad-fandom’ I decided to emerge from the dust and join the fun. Since I’m well aware that lurking is ….uhhh….unpolite, I decided to make up (or try at least) by starting with a proper introduction of myself:

So that’s me: being in my thirties I am a fan of the Dog for almost 20 years now – starting with Tailchaisers song as a teenage girl (boy, the local library was seeing me often these days – ahhh, good old days) and afterwards consuming everything written with Tad’s name on it.  Even though I’m not a collector, Tad inhabits his own board in my bookshelf.

I fell in love with MS&T and spend the last two decades in ‘fangirl mode’. I fear you are facing another sithi-fangirl *ignores the moans from the audience* and therefore most of my ‘fangirling’ was dedicated to them. Over the years I tried to keep myself satisfied with fanart and some very amateurish tries of fanfiction.  After LKoOA was announced my antics got more seldom but fancier. Since I don’t want to scare everyone this might be a story for another day.

What else? A yes, the boring normal stuff: I’m living in northern Germany (another member of the Germany crowd) and earn my living by making software waging its tail (IT is a wonderful thing – at least the software is doing as I say). In the time that remains beside work, I try to fit a bunch of hobbies into my life … and fail miserably.

I’m honored to meet you all *bows*  I’m coming in piece and I brought cupcakes *is offering a baking tray filled with chocolate-caramel-cupcakes to everyone*

Welcome, Kia! There are lots of Smarchers in Germany, and quite a few Sithi fangirls/fanboys. I'm a fanboy in the USA.

Don't forget to check out (and post in) all the threads!

*munches on cupcakes*

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#354 2016-07-25 12:48:38

Kia
Pilgrim
Website

Firsfron of Ronchester wrote:

Welcome, Kia! There are lots of Smarchers in Germany, and quite a few Sithi fangirls/fanboys. I'm a fanboy in the USA.

*waves her greeting to the fanboy from USA* The dog is famous in our lands - nevertheless we are a happy international bunch :-)

Being among fellow fanboys / fangirls is kind of a relief - the rest of my social contracts did suffer through my obsession for the last decade with waning patience *ahhhemm*

Don't forget to check out (and post in) all the threads!
*munches on cupcakes*

I plan to :-) Hopefully I find something interesting to contribute...right now I'm breaking my head for interesting questions for the interview :-)

#355 2016-11-29 10:24:21

Yzabran
Pilgrim
Website

As the new (translated into Dutch) Osten Ard books were announced, I decided to pick up on the old ways again. Oh yeah, old they are, and strange. I read the translations of The Dragonbone Chair soon after it was published, back in 1992, and waited impatiently for all and everything to follow.

I had my first computer back in 1999 and the old Tad Williams Message Board was the very first forum I ever joined, although I was a "lurker". I was there, when it went to 19100. I see people here that were on the board back then. Good to see you. Very good. Feels like home.

I've read many books by Tad. Unfortunately, the translations weren't all that good after Max Schuchart, translator of the Osten Ard series, passed away. However, I'm looking forwards to the new series and am planning a re-read of the old one.

In real life I write manuals for software and I try my hand at fiction (in Dutch mostly).

I see I have been away from this board a few years, so I have to read a lot to keep up :)

#356 2016-11-29 10:40:45

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Welcome back, Yzabran!

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#357 2016-11-29 12:15:56

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Yzabran wrote:

As the new (translated into Dutch) Osten Ard books were announced, I decided to pick up on the old ways again. Oh yeah, old they are, and strange. I read the translations of The Dragonbone Chair soon after it was published, back in 1992, and waited impatiently for all and everything to follow.

I had my first computer back in 1999 and the old Tad Williams Message Board was the very first forum I ever joined, although I was a "lurker". I was there, when it went to 19100. I see people here that were on the board back then. Good to see you. Very good. Feels like home.

I've read many books by Tad. Unfortunately, the translations weren't all that good after Max Schuchart, translator of the Osten Ard series, passed away. However, I'm looking forwards to the new series and am planning a re-read of the old one.

In real life I write manuals for software and I try my hand at fiction (in Dutch mostly).

I see I have been away from this board a few years, so I have to read a lot to keep up :)

Ah, yes, the halcyon days of 19100! Those were the good old (futuristic?) days!

Yzabran, what name were you known as back then? I have a pretty good memory, but I don't remember a Yzabran. I know you said you were a lurker, but you also said you joined the board.

Anyway, welcome back to Smarch! We are all greatly anticipating the new books, and cannot wait to see new Osten Ard books in print once more... after more than 20 years, we'll be spoiled, getting two new OA books in a single year! Talk about a downpour after the drought!

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#358 2016-11-29 12:55:38

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Welcome back Yzabran! It's always nice to see fellow Dutchies.

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#359 2016-12-08 06:13:29

Yzabran
Pilgrim
Website

Yzabran wrote:

Ah, yes, the halcyon days of 19100! Those were the good old (futuristic?) days!

Yzabran, what name were you known as back then? I have a pretty good memory, but I don't remember a Yzabran. I know you said you were a lurker, but you also said you joined the board.

Anyway, welcome back to Smarch! We are all greatly anticipating the new books, and cannot wait to see new Osten Ard books in print once more... after more than 20 years, we'll be spoiled, getting two new OA books in a single year! Talk about a downpour after the drought!

I had an account to keep track of unread posts :-)

Last edited by Yzabran (2016-12-08 06:13:50)

#360 2017-08-07 12:00:55

elfenthanz
Pilgrim

cool introduction, thanks, Kia! <3

Both snow and the flower itself were unlikely to have been found in the Holy Land in those days, but that has never hurt the story's popularity.  Prologue

#361 2017-08-07 12:17:33

elfenthanz
Pilgrim

ylvs wrote:

Amazing introduction Elfenthanz.

Three things:

my darling niece was born on 9/23.

"Aus Scheiße Bonbon machen" is a fav saying of my father. I never heard anybody else say it.

I am Pisces.

I just read this again.

I love everything about it.

Both snow and the flower itself were unlikely to have been found in the Holy Land in those days, but that has never hurt the story's popularity.  Prologue

Board footer