Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

• Index
  •  » Community
  •  » Cookie Monster Time -- What's Your Favorite Cookie

#126 2017-08-01 17:22:40

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Re: Cookie Monster Time -- What's Your Favorite Cookie

Ad1tu wrote:

They're cookie shaped, so they totally count. *sagenod*

It is known.

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#127 2017-08-02 01:30:26

Auros
Pilgrim
Website

Macarons are a relative of meringues.  They're tasty.  I think of them more as a confection, though, than a cookie.  Macaroons, which are not at all like macarons, also push the boundaries of the "cookie" genre.

My favorite little cafe near my new house does macarons filled with ice cream.

Irreverent Father Auros, High Priest of the Church of Erotic Pantheism
the Aurosphere -- Me, myself, and I.
Strange Horizons -- Your weekly source for speculative fiction.
The Resistance wants YOU to defend humanity from Alien Mind Control!

#128 2017-08-04 13:07:26

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

Speaking of cookies... A coworker of mine mentioned lavender cookies. Has anybody ever had these? They sound weird but intriguing. And from the recipes online, pretty simple to make.

If you should do what makes you happy, and no one can tell you what makes you happy, then that means no one can tell you what to do!

Tamishu's Ramblings

#129 2017-08-04 14:22:49

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

I have never heard of lavender cookies. Are they purple?

I have invited my mom to my house tonight, and we will bake chocolate chip cookies.

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#130 2017-08-04 15:54:47

Auros
Pilgrim
Website

Few things flavored with lavender are purple.  Both the leaves and flower buds can be used, but once you've dried and ground the buds and incorporated them into a recipe, the color isn't particularly obvious.  If you use a fair bit, and you mix it into, say, a frosting, it will take on the color.  I guess you might be able to get a naturally white-ish sugar cookie dough to take on a pale purple/pink color.  Maybe you could steep the buds in whatever liquid is going into the dough, to help extract the color?  Not sure whether that would work better than using powdered buds.  Anyways, anything that is naturally starting with a darker tan/brown color, the purple will probably be hard to see.  Of course, you can always add additional color to things.  (That's what most red velvet cakes do.  Acidulated cocoa is a ruddy color, but not the bright red you typically see in the cakes.)

Last edited by Auros (2017-08-04 15:59:36)

#131 2017-08-04 16:00:47

Auros
Pilgrim
Website

These don't appear to have much color at all in the cookie, although they've sprinkled some buds on top for color.

#132 2017-08-05 03:39:15

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

We baked the cookies. They were delicious!

• Index
  •  » Community
  •  » Cookie Monster Time -- What's Your Favorite Cookie

Board footer