Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#51 2017-08-01 14:41:49

ajl3
Pilgrim

Re: TWC - least-favourite new characters

Outsider wrote:

ajl3 wrote:

Firsfron of Ronchester wrote:

Weren't there maids watching over her? Sending them away and then smothering her would seem suspicious.

He should know killing Idela won't stabilize the monarchy. In fact, it will likely cause much harm. Her father doesn't strike me as very nice, and he could cause the king and queen all sorts of problems.

The poison point still stands, which is one I made in TWC discussion: I do think Passavelles at least snatched the arrows and is likely involved in the attack (he's too suspiciously interested in finding out if she says anything, exactly when she wakes, etc.) but why not kill her?

The maids, at first, are even shown to be not on the ball with watching her and go to flirt with a guard. Smothering her would be suspicious, I agree, but this poison they hit her with, no one knows what it is, not even Sithi (though that bit at the end sounds like they might still be checking into it? still, the best Sithi healers look at it and need to take a lot of time to figure it out, that tells you something right there). Putting more poison in her should be easy and no one would be able to tell that it wasn't just the original dose.

That's why I think it's likely that they want the Sithi alive for whatever reason. Be it the Sithi Traitor theory I came up with, or needing to put them on the Road of Dreams, or so they can torture them later.

Passavalles is working with Khendraja'aro to sabotage any mortal/Sithi cooperation behind Jiriki/Simon's back. Not exactly allies but benefitting their own ends? Khendraja'aro wouldn't want Tanahaya killed if it could in any way avoid it so Passavalles is obliging. In exchange Passavalles gets something undisclosed.

We might want to move this to TWC discussion thread, but I have reasons to believe that is what's going on but with a Sithi besides Khendraja'aro. (Passavelles probably gets to keep the mirrors or something.)

I do think we are seeing something like a Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country situation - two hardliners from opposing sides are conspiring together to make sure that, ironically, their sides do not work together.

Last edited by ajl3 (2017-08-01 14:42:23)

#52 2017-08-01 18:19:52

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

RS wrote:

I will stick with Makho. An arrogant idiot doubled with a raper and a sadist. What more does one need ?

More dragon's blood. ;)

One could add Odrig, but thankfully he is dead.

Another relief.

Pasevalles is in a completely different category. I still do not understand what is going on with him. He may turn out to be an arch-villain but ... ???

He sure seems like a villain to me. One does not kill members of the royal family and still be a hero... even with a royal family member as self-serving as Idela.

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#53 2017-08-01 18:46:34

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

ylvs wrote:

xavie wrote:

I'm also annoyed by Lillia, but more by the way she is written. She sounds to me not like a ten-year-old, but like a much younger child. A bit like Christabel.

I know Ylvs said the same thing.

Yes I did. Still do (although it is not as bad as it used to be).

That's true.

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#54 2017-08-03 03:46:29

JustCharlotte
Pilgrim

Outsider wrote:

ajl3 wrote:

Outsider wrote:

If Pasevalles was behind the Sitha Tanahaya's attack, why did he just stop at making the arrows disappear? Wouldn't he have tried to finish her off for good? Add some poison to water in small doses, kill her off while she was in a coma. Smother her or something. He had plenty of time.

Weren't there maids watching over her? Sending them away and then smothering her would seem suspicious.

He should know killing Idela won't stabilize the monarchy. In fact, it will likely cause much harm. Her father doesn't strike me as very nice, and he could cause the king and queen all sorts of problems.

The poison point still stands, which is one I made in TWC discussion: I do think Passavelles at least snatched the arrows and is likely involved in the attack (he's too suspiciously interested in finding out if she says anything, exactly when she wakes, etc.) but why not kill her?

The maids, at first, are even shown to be not on the ball with watching her and go to flirt with a guard. Smothering her would be suspicious, I agree, but this poison they hit her with, no one knows what it is, not even Sithi (though that bit at the end sounds like they might still be checking into it? still, the best Sithi healers look at it and need to take a lot of time to figure it out, that tells you something right there). Putting more poison in her should be easy and no one would be able to tell that it wasn't just the original dose.

That's why I think it's likely that they want the Sithi alive for whatever reason. Be it the Sithi Traitor theory I came up with, or needing to put them on the Road of Dreams, or so they can torture them later.

Passavalles is working with Khendraja'aro to sabotage any mortal/Sithi cooperation behind Jiriki/Simon's back. Not exactly allies but benefitting their own ends? Khendraja'aro wouldn't want Tanahaya killed if it could in any way avoid it so Passavalles is obliging. In exchange Passavalles gets something undisclosed.

I just can't see Khendraja'aro working with ANY humans, for any reason.  The depth of dislike is that deep.  Yeja'aro, as the other angry Sitha in the story,  seems a bit, well stupid, to pull off the traitor thing.  I don't discount a traitor in the midst of the Sithi though.

#55 2017-08-03 12:38:34

Merenwen
Pilgrim

There were few characters that I really disliked. I can understand, for example, that Morgan is not the most popular guy. There were many scenes where I just wanted to slap his face for his behaviour, but on the other hand it felt like he was neglected a lot, by his parents and grandparents, and he is still not over his father's death. I think thing will get better with him in the next books. I hope so.

Lillia was kinda annoying from time to time as well.

But I really hated every scene with Idela. In my opinion, she was a completely unsympathetic, self-serving bitch. Still, what happened to her, that cold murder all of a sudden, really caught me by surprise.

Pasevalles is hard to read, I didn't trust him entirely, yet alone for the evil chancellor trope, but also because he seemed to "good" to be true in the beginning. And before he killed Idela of course. I think there is a lot of hate in him because of what happened to him and his family during the war. Let's hope he doesn't plan to kill Miriamele during her visit in Nabban. I wonder what the letters were about.

And Yeja'aro... Aditu, why? I am so happy that you can have a baby, but wasn't there a better option? He is as charming as his uncle.

Last edited by Merenwen (2017-08-03 13:02:30)

#56 2017-08-03 14:36:01

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Merenwen wrote:

Morgan is not the most popular guy. There were many scenes where I just wanted to slap his face for his behaviour

Same here! But I hope he gets a serious re-education.

And Yeja'aro... Aditu, why? I am so happy that you can have a baby, but wasn't there a better option? He is as charming as his uncle.

At least his/their uncle is intelligent.

Board footer