Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

• Index
  •  » Osten Ard
  •  » Character development in MS&T vs other Tad series *major spoilers*

#26 2015-10-12 23:54:08

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Re: Character development in MS&T vs other Tad series *major spoilers*

Only kidding, only kidding! I like how Paul slowly regains his memories. And that is definitely character development, copy or no copy.

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#27 2015-10-13 01:44:18

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

Danger is my middle name.

I enjoy Paul as a character too...

Wouldn't the plural form of Olaf be Olaves? ;) - Firsfron of Ronchester

#28 2015-10-13 07:00:43

ylvs
Mantis

Kenan, Duke of Danger it shall be then.

To meet an old friend is like the finding of a welcoming campfire in the dark. Qanuc saying
Scrollbearer
Titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Arsonist of the probably most spectacular Mint burning ever

#29 2015-10-13 11:59:55

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

I thought he was the Duke of Books?

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#30 2015-10-13 12:06:36

ylvs
Mantis

Duke of Danger Books?

To meet an old friend is like the finding of a welcoming campfire in the dark. Qanuc saying
Scrollbearer
Titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Arsonist of the probably most spectacular Mint burning ever

#31 2015-10-13 12:32:23

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

Dangerous Duke of Book

Wouldn't the plural form of Olaf be Olaves? ;) - Firsfron of Ronchester

#32 2017-07-26 00:30:54

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

WITCHWOOD CROWN SPOILERS WITCHWOOD CROWN SPOILERS WITCHWOOD CROWN SPOILERS WITCHWOOD CROWN SPOILERS WITCHWOOD CROWN SPOILERS WITCHWOOD CROWN SPOILERS WITCHWOOD CROWN SPOILERS WITCHWOOD CROWN SPOILERS WITCHWOOD CROWN SPOILERS WITCHWOOD CROWN SPOILERS WITCHWOOD CROWN SPOILERS WITCHWOOD CROWN SPOILERS WITCHWOOD CROWN SPOILERS WITCHWOOD CROWN SPOILERS WITCHWOOD CROWN SPOILERS

So, now, can we discuss character development in TWC?

Obviously, there is some measure of character development that happens "off-screen", in the years between the books. And some characters are no longer even with us.

But the characters who experience growth in this volume are, I think, very different than the ones in MS&T.

I think there may already be a tiny bit of character growth in Morgan. Thank goodness.

Who else? Anyone?

WITCHWOOD CROWN SPOILERS WITCHWOOD CROWN SPOILERS WITCHWOOD CROWN SPOILERS WITCHWOOD CROWN SPOILERS WITCHWOOD CROWN SPOILERS WITCHWOOD CROWN SPOILERS WITCHWOOD CROWN SPOILERS WITCHWOOD CROWN SPOILERS WITCHWOOD CROWN SPOILERS WITCHWOOD CROWN SPOILERS WITCHWOOD CROWN SPOILERS WITCHWOOD CROWN SPOILERS WITCHWOOD CROWN SPOILERS WITCHWOOD CROWN SPOILERS WITCHWOOD CROWN SPOILERS

#33 2017-07-26 07:18:24

Outsider
Pilgrim
Website

Pasavalles. He goes from being a minor character in MST to a major POV character with questionable and unclear motives.

Tiamak seems less like a wrannaman and more like an old lord. His core is the same but his outer shell has changed and evolved.

edit: Stealing some of your spoiler tags

Last edited by Outsider (2017-07-26 07:19:22)

"A witty saying proves nothing." -- Voltaire
"Bring back meat, we are not Zida'ya, to live on flowers and bee's milk." -- Kemme

Follow me on Twitter

#34 2017-07-26 11:41:37

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Outsider wrote:

Pasavalles. He goes from being a minor character in MST to a major POV character with questionable and unclear motives.

Tiamak seems less like a wrannaman and more like an old lord. His core is the same but his outer shell has changed and evolved.

edit: Stealing some of your spoiler tags

Definitely. Tiamak's character development and Pasevalles', as well, seems to happen between books.

And I forgot Nezeru, who has already changed during the course of this book.

#35 2017-07-30 00:02:43

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

We also see character development with Jarnulf, albeit in flashbacks to his childhood, as he goes from little kid to trained warrior, the legendary White Hand whose very name strikes fear in the Hikeda'ya.

#36 2017-07-30 08:59:58

xavie
Pilgrim
Website

I actually really liked how recognizable Simon and Miriamele still are. You'd think in 34 years they have morphed into completely different people, but they still have the same quirks and weaknesses, I think. Simon still a bit naive, impulsive and down to earth. Miriamele still pig-headed, analytical and with a temper. I don't know if that counts as character *development*. It's not so much change but ripening, I think. Anyway, I thought it well done.

#37 2017-07-31 23:50:07

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

xavie wrote:

I actually really liked how recognizable Simon and Miriamele still are. You'd think in 34 years they have morphed into completely different people, but they still have the same quirks and weaknesses, I think. Simon still a bit naive, impulsive and down to earth. Miriamele still pig-headed, analytical and with a temper. I don't know if that counts as character *development*. It's not so much change but ripening, I think. Anyway, I thought it well done.

I like that term: character ripening. And I agree: they have ripened. Not so much that they are unrecognizable, but enough that it feels believable.

One thing I wouldn't have wished on them is the loss of their son. Although I think it brings a lot of depth to their storyline (especially Simon), it makes me quite sad. Their loss, though, and their ongoing mourning, is also character development.

• Index
  •  » Osten Ard
  •  » Character development in MS&T vs other Tad series *major spoilers*

Board footer