Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-03-05 00:52:32

Olaf
Mantis
Website

Logan: The Wolverine (2017)

I saw the new Wolverine movie last night. Both Patrick Stewart and Hugh Jackman both said that this would be their last performance in their respective iconic roles as Professor Xavier and Wolverine.

Overall, I liked the movie. I would describe it as a superhero western, and despite its ultra-violence and high body count, it is contemplative and at times slow-moving.

The overall plot development is not very surprising, because everything you expect to happen happens. If a bullet is shown early in the movie, you know somebody will use it for something later on. It is more the inevitability of events unfolding that makes this compelling. The performances of the cast are terrific especially of Jackman, Stewart and Defna Keen (who plays the young girl Laura). Keen in particular is a real scene stealer:-)

But be warned, this is not a "fun" movie. There is occasional comic relief, but it is brief and fleeting. The overall mood is grim and grimmer.

I am glad I watched it, but I donĀ“t need to see it again anytime soon.

Scrollbearer

Writing books, especially long books, is a careful balance between laziness and masochism.
Tad Williams

#2 2017-07-17 06:55:18

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

Re: Logan: The Wolverine (2017)

Well summed up Olaf! Agree with pretty much all you said.

This could have been more noir, or more in style with previous films... instead it's a little in-between, not wanting to alienate the marvel fans I think.
Maybe next time I'll watch the B&W version. You read that right, my blu-ray arrived with a B&W copy... that's a first.
Anyway, I'll watch it again some time in the future, but like you I'm not in a hurry.

Wouldn't the plural form of Olaf be Olaves? ;) - Firsfron of Ronchester

Board footer