Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-07-02 21:48:41

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Wonder Woman (2017)

Just saw this today, and really enjoyed it. It's a visual OTT spectacle, and I liked the team.

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#2 2017-07-03 08:31:02

Marian
Pilgrim
Website

Re: Wonder Woman (2017)

LOVED it so, so much.

Diana is one of my favorite characters ever. And the whole cast worked so well together. I loved that each character was fully formed and believable. (Isn't it funny how those qualities make for the best comic book movies?) I thought the whole story was really well paced, and thoroughly enjoyable.

It works for me on a feminist level, of course... people have written a lot about that aspect, better than I could. But it made me happy. It's not just that Wonder Woman is a kickass heroine (she is) and the Amazons awesome (they are), but women were shown in every facet of life. The secretary (great character actress); the women in the town worried about their children; women at a ball. Easily 50% of the cast is female. AND THAT IS HOW EVERY MOVIE SHOULD BE.

Okay, soapbox aside. So good, definitely on par with the better Marvel movies! I liked it as much or more than Iron Man and Avengers. Can't wait for the sequel!

#3 2017-07-03 09:36:27

Ostrael Firsfronson
Pilgrim

Marian wrote:

Easily 50% of the cast is female. AND THAT IS HOW EVERY MOVIE SHOULD BE.

Yes. My god, in this day and age, how can we still be even having the conversation that 50% of the cast should be female? This should have been self-evident decades ago.

Many films being made right now still fail the Bechtel test.

I liked the feminist messages: not just the kick-ass Buffy stuff, but also Diana's deep-seated compassion that made her such a strong character, and, as you mentioned, the recurring themes of motherhood throughout the film. I also loved the fact that she's convinced that Ares is behind it all, which seems naive, like her clay creation... but then it turns out she's right. That was a nice twist. I don't think I've seen a film with such strong, well-developed undercurrents of feminism since Changeling.

And I also loved the (very brief) nod to Native American history, with the Chief's comment about losing the last war.

So good, definitely on par with the better Marvel movies! I liked it as much or more than Iron Man and Avengers. Can't wait for the sequel!

Definitely!

Last edited by Ostrael Firsfronson (2017-07-03 09:53:03)

#4 2017-07-03 09:39:30

Rook
Mantis
Website

My wife had literally been waiting for this movie all her life ... Wonder Woman being her favorite superhero.  I even have a Wonder Woman car decal next to my Superman one on the back of my car as a sort of couples thing.  Anyway, we went home happy.  I in that the DC Cinematic Universe can be salvaged.  She in seeing a female superhero on screen finally.

I think this has been a stellar year for superhero movies so far, honestly.  Logan brought the grim western flavor; Lego Batman a Batman story for kids; GotG2 with the comedy; and Wonder Woman with the traditional superhero flavor but with an untraditional lead.  I like to think that 2017 will go down as the year superhero films got creative.

“The past,” they say, “is now truly like a foreign country. They do things exactly the same there.” --- Douglas Adams

Rooktopia! (Personal)

#5 2017-07-03 09:52:02

Ostrael Firsfronson
Pilgrim

Rook wrote:

My wife had literally been waiting for this movie all her life ... Wonder Woman being her favorite superhero.  I even have a Wonder Woman car decal next to my Superman one on the back of my car as a sort of couples thing.  Anyway, we went home happy.  I in that the DC Cinematic Universe can be salvaged.  She in seeing a female superhero on screen finally.

Zach Snyder should never be let near a DC film again.

Cool that you guys have matching decals!

I think this has been a stellar year for superhero movies so far, honestly.  Logan brought the grim western flavor; Lego Batman a Batman story for kids; GotG2 with the comedy; and Wonder Woman with the traditional superhero flavor but with an untraditional lead.  I like to think that 2017 will go down as the year superhero films got creative.

Well, they had to do something after the mess of 2016.

#6 2017-07-09 15:00:24

Olaf
Mantis
Website

Finally saw it today. It really was everything I hoped it would be. I really loved it. Although there were two instances where the CGI gave me an uncanny valley feeling, it was also visually stunning.

Scrollbearer

Writing books, especially long books, is a careful balance between laziness and masochism.
Tad Williams

Board footer