Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-06-25 11:32:04

Olaf
Mantis
Website

20th anniversary of Harry Potter

June 26th, 2017 marks the 20th anniversary of the first publication of Harry Potter and the Philosopher´s Stone.

I only discovered Harry Potter about three years later, just before the third book was to be published in paperback. The first HP book was the first and still the only book I read twice back to back. Once I turned the final page, I immediately started again at the beginning:-)

I have never done that with another book.

Scrollbearer

Writing books, especially long books, is a careful balance between laziness and masochism.
Tad Williams

#2 2017-06-25 12:11:28

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Re: 20th anniversary of Harry Potter

Wow, that long already? I shouldn't be surprised, as I read it when I still lived with my parents, but it sure feels shorter!

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#3 2017-06-25 13:23:14

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

I started reading after the 6th book was published (I had watched the first 3 movies in the cinema because someone's friend's child and another friend's little brother... then I read and watched the rest for my own pleasure of course. Anyway, just 12 years with the books for me.

Wouldn't the plural form of Olaf be Olaves? ;) - Firsfron of Ronchester

#4 2017-06-26 04:36:18

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Easter 2001 for me, so after the fourth book (but it took me about a year to read all four and join the hordes of waiting fans).

It's left quite a permanent mark on my life. Mostly in that it taught me that I could read English books and that this was fun, but also because for the first time in my life, I liked a thing that lots of other people liked too.

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#5 2017-06-26 11:52:35

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

Oh man! How time flies! I didn't start with the series right away, but it was within a couple years... I remember reading the 1st book, I had it in paperback, and talking to the librarian about when the 2nd book was going to be in. They ordered a UK edition, I remember learning the word "fortnight". (They have to brew the polyjuice potion for a fortnight.) My enthusiasm waned with book 5, Harry seemed pretty whiny to me. Re-reading the whole series a couple years ago, I have a much different opinion now.

If you should do what makes you happy, and no one can tell you what makes you happy, then that means no one can tell you what to do!

Tamishu's Ramblings

#6 2017-06-26 13:33:48

Olaf
Mantis
Website

Scrollbearer

Writing books, especially long books, is a careful balance between laziness and masochism.
Tad Williams

#7 2017-06-26 13:51:47

Libra-in-a-roundabout-way
Mantis

I remember buying the first book.... being embarrassed as it seemed such a children's book (this was before all the hub-bub), I had it wrapped up as if for a present.... *snortgiggle*

Scrollbearer

Author of the 777,777th post

"Sorry about your crap day, wish you libra-level dreams. ;o)"
~ Kenan

Board footer