Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#26 2014-11-10 17:47:08

strangeshe
Hierarch

Re: Server Maintenance

[xpost]

Sorry about the problems. I just now received notice that they're going to be doing server maintenance tonight -- specifically 10 November, 2014, between 10:00 pm and 3:00 am MDT (UTC/GMT-6) -- hopefully this will fix the recent wonkyness.

From the notice:

We expect the estimated downtime to be 30 to 45 minutes while the server is rebooted. None of your data will be lost, and any temporary performance issues you experience may be due to the maintenance process. This maintenance adds extra security to your server and resolves issues relating to server performance.

We apologize for such short notice and for any inconvenience this may cause.

#27 2014-11-11 16:50:57

strangeshe
Hierarch

Just received another notice from the host -- the maintenance scheduled for last night will instead take place tonight:

We regretfully were unable to perform the scheduled maintenance during the scheduled time-frame.  The maintenance has been rescheduled for tonight 11 November, 2014 between 10:00 pm and 3:00 am MDT (UTC/GMT-6), for the server which hosts tadwilliams.com.

We expect the estimated downtime to be 30 to 45 minutes while the server is rebooted. None of your data will be lost, and any temporary performance issues you experience may be due to the maintenance process. This maintenance adds extra security to your server and resolves issues relating to server performance.

We apologize for such short notice and for any inconvenience this may cause.

#28 2017-03-13 12:32:06

strangeshe
Hierarch

Okay, let's give this another try. The first post just disappeared somewhere into the ether.... *poof*

I have received a notice from our host. There will be some maintenance on the server tonight, Monday, 3/13 at 8pm Mountain Daylight Time:

As part of our ongoing effort to provide improved reliability of our hosting services, we will be upgrading the network switches that the server hosting tadwilliams.com is connected to on Monday March 13th at 8 PM MDT.

This will result in approximately 1 to 5 minutes of downtime for your site as the network topology cuts over to the new switches.

We realize how important the reliability of your site is to you and will be doing everything to minimize the impact to your site.

It should be minor, and most of you won't even notice. I know, I know: famous last words. ;)

-----

On a more personal note, I miss you guys -- but that's all on me. Health issues continue, and at this point, well past the magic 2 year mark without any further improvement, it looks like this is as good as it's going to get. On the one hand, I'm exceedingly grateful to the hospital and my surgeon and all the medical staff who helped me get back on my feet -- literally. I'm extremely glad I did not remain paralyzed from the waist down.

After 2 years (and a few months), I can walk (with aids such as cane or roller or hand bars or David), and even walk unaided for very short distances. I can stand up without aid for a few seconds (still) a bit longer if moving to help keep my balance. If I walk or stand without aid for more than about 15 minutes, my back begins to fight back and I have to sit. Even with physical therapy, this is about as good as it gets. (But better than being in a wheelchair for my remaining days!) The neuropathy is still there and causes the most pain, though the back hurts pretty constant, too. There's more, but I won't drag this down more. I'm in a blue funk these days, trying to accept how things are -- aka mourning my lost body and youth, and trying not to turn into a grumpy old woman. ;)

#29 2017-03-13 12:39:21

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

We miss you, SS, and I'm glad to hear you're doing... well, I guess "better" is the word. Pain and neuropathy is better than paralysis, obviously. Though far less than ideal.

Thanks for the news about the server update. *crosses appendages*

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#30 2017-03-13 13:49:00

Pandy
Pilgrim

strangeshe wrote:

On a more personal note, I miss you guys

STRANGESHE!  HUGS!!!!!!!!!!

~*~ CAT BUTTS FOR ALL!

"This is what education does to you. It makes you look forward to cleaning." -Magpie
"I think Pandiqegabenikananoomookmannaq sounds even better." -Firs
Pandy! I found a pop can in the fridge here at work that is a bit dented, has some gunk on the side, and wobbles a bit when you poke it. Thought of you. :) - Ad1tu

#31 2017-03-13 23:10:51

strangeshe
Hierarch

Pandy wrote:

strangeshe wrote:

On a more personal note, I miss you guys

STRANGESHE!  HUGS!!!!!!!!!!

~*~ CAT BUTTS FOR ALL!

LOL! Good to see you, Pandy. Hugs!!

#32 2017-03-13 23:12:25

strangeshe
Hierarch

Firsfron of Ronchester wrote:

We miss you, SS, and I'm glad to hear you're doing... well, I guess "better" is the word. Pain and neuropathy is better than paralysis, obviously. Though far less than ideal.

Thanks for the news about the server update. *crosses appendages*

Thanks Firsfron. Better is better than not! So I'll take it *g*

And looks like everything is still here, so all is great on the Smarch front :)

Back again soon, I hope!

#33 2017-03-14 03:28:30

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Good luck, StrangeShe!

I am sorry this has not developed well, though I agree it's a big step up from paralysis :/

May the birds who shelter in your branches never poop on the innocent. -Tad

#34 2017-03-14 09:16:14

Libra-in-a-roundabout-way
Mantis

*huggles StrangeShe*

Sorry that you're still struggling.... but I'm happy that you at least can do stuff yourself instead of being in a wheelchair.

*huggles more*

Scrollbearer

Author of the 777,777th post

"Sorry about your crap day, wish you libra-level dreams. ;o)"
~ Kenan

#35 2017-03-14 11:04:06

strangeshe
Hierarch

Thank you both, Peter and Libra. I appreciate your kind wishes. :)

#36 2017-03-14 16:48:30

Marian
Pilgrim
Website

Aww, what a rough time you've had. *hugs* It sounds like you're doing a much better job at not becoming a grumpy old woman than I am!

#37 2017-03-14 16:51:31

Pandy
Pilgrim

Or me!

"This is what education does to you. It makes you look forward to cleaning." -Magpie
"I think Pandiqegabenikananoomookmannaq sounds even better." -Firs
Pandy! I found a pop can in the fridge here at work that is a bit dented, has some gunk on the side, and wobbles a bit when you poke it. Thought of you. :) - Ad1tu

#38 2017-03-15 09:15:29

Seitherin
Mantis
Website

Or me.

"The evil done by men of goodwill is the worst of all." Iain Pears, The Dream of Scipio

"Where all think alike, no one thinks very much." Walter Lippmann (1889-1974)

So, I've got a blog . . . Now what? | A Stitch in Time | The Name Nook

#39 2017-06-21 11:48:27

strangeshe
Hierarch

Brace yourselves for another server maintenance period -- just received this notice:

With that purpose in mind, we will be performing maintenance on your server tomorrow night, June 22nd, between 12AM and 6AM Eastern Time.

During the maintenance window, there will be approximately 30 to 60 minutes of downtime while the work is performed.

If you need it, according to The World Clock Time Zone Converter (timeanddate.com), maintenance could begin Thursday, June 22, 2017 as early as 5:00:00 am UTC (which is GMT except in England because of daylight savings, so it says).

We assure you that every effort is being made to minimize any impact to your site and ensure that your environment is restored to normal operation as soon as possible.

*waves to everyone*

Cheers!

#40 2017-06-21 11:58:34

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

Thanks for the heads up!

Wouldn't the plural form of Olaf be Olaves? ;) - Firsfron of Ronchester

#41 2017-06-21 14:42:35

Maladroit
Pilgrim

Has someone already set a beer out for Reg!?!

I should go to the Mint and check, shouldn't I?

*goes to check in the Mint like a learned being*

Maladroit, are you suggesting that imaginary chickens have no feelings?

You better be careful with that, or we might get boycotted -- well, chickencotted, I guess.  And that would make for a very paltry poultry party.  Which would be a pity.
-Tad

Board footer