Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-10-29 15:18:44

Olaf
Mantis
Website

Marvel´s Doctor Strange

Just came home from the movies watching Doctor Strange, which started a week early in Germany.

In short, I loved it.
It was everything I hoped it would be and it did not disappoint in any respect.

The CGI is breathtaking, the actors are spot on, the movie is often hilariously funny, and the ending is...something else! The post-credit scene is also very, very interesting!

I am probably going to see it again sometime next week.

Scrollbearer

Writing books, especially long books, is a careful balance between laziness and masochism.
Tad Williams

#2 2016-10-29 17:05:03

Auros
Pilgrim
Website

Re: Marvel´s Doctor Strange

How did you see that already?  I thought it opened in a few days?

Irreverent Father Auros, High Priest of the Church of Erotic Pantheism
the Aurosphere -- Me, myself, and I.
Strange Horizons -- Your weekly source for speculative fiction.
The Resistance wants YOU to defend humanity from Alien Mind Control!

#3 2016-10-29 20:23:16

Olaf
Mantis
Website

It opened this Thursday in Germany. One week ahead of the US release.

Scrollbearer

Writing books, especially long books, is a careful balance between laziness and masochism.
Tad Williams

#4 2016-11-04 08:37:41

ylvs
Mantis

Gonna see it tomorrow!!! Lalalalalalalalaaaaaaaaa.
With Daughter1.1 and  some friends. I gotta tell you it is really weird to have the same crush as your very own 14 year old !!!

#5 2016-11-04 11:38:23

Merenwen
Pilgrim

I am going to see it, too. Probably next week. I heard only good things about the movie so far.

ylvs wrote:

I gotta tell you it is really weird to have the same crush as your very own 14 year old !!!

I think that is cool. You can fangirl over him together. :D

#6 2016-11-06 08:56:40

ylvs
Mantis

This film is awesomeness overload! Fine story telling, believable characters, funny jokes, visually stunning, unexpected twist. This rocks mightily. Best super hero movie ever in my book.

And be sure to stay until the veryvery end. There is one additional scence after the actor credits and another after the tech credits.

#7 2016-11-06 10:19:03

Olaf
Mantis
Website

I have seen it twice now.
Still love it.

I missed the second post-credit scene the first time, but stayed till the very end the second time around.

Scrollbearer

Tad Williams

#8 2016-11-06 12:55:55

Auros
Pilgrim
Website

Huh. I found the story underwhelming. Gorgeous visuals, but the story beats felt trite and predictable to me, and Strange's transformation from bungler to master was made much too easy.  Given where they'd placed him in his arc of character development, he ought to have died in his first encounter with the zealots.

I do still like Trafficlight Bongodrum, of course, and I'm looking forward to the dynamic between him and Thor in Ragnarok, but overall I'd rate this as pretty average for a Marvel movie. *shrug*

#9 2016-11-07 06:31:41

Marian
Pilgrim
Website

I went to see it Saturday night, knowing next to nothing about it, other than that it was a Marvel movie. (Which put me ahead of one of my friends, who thought it was Doctor Strangelove.)

I really enjoyed it! There was definitely some stuff I wanted to roll my eyes at, but reminded myself the character was made when New Age stuff wasn't yet a cliched mode of gaining power and let it go.

I LOVED the cape.

The trippy scenes were SUPER trippy and I loved it. I started to get why people liked Inception, though I never made it through the second act.

All in all, I thought it was a fun way to spend a Saturday night.

I will say, though, that Marvel has probably overextended the movie universe. They barely held it all together in the last Avengers movie. They should probably pull back on the number of new characters they introduce and try to solidify the ones we already have out there. Just my 2 cents.

#10 2016-11-07 13:06:30

Marian
Pilgrim
Website

Auros wrote:

Given where they'd placed him in his arc of character development, he ought to have died in his first encounter with the zealots.

He would have,  and he only didn't because he got lucky with the portals,  and the Cape  helped.

#11 2016-11-07 13:12:18

Auros
Pilgrim
Website

Yes, I loved how the Cloak of Levitation had a mind of its own.  The beat where he turns the collar up was great.

Last edited by Auros (2016-11-07 13:12:36)

#12 2016-11-07 13:31:52

Olaf
Mantis
Website

Some not so subtle reference to his Sherlock portrayal. But I loved that scene too.

Otherwise, the movie sticks quite close to the origin story in the comics. Especially, the mini-series THE OATH provided some inspirations where some scenes where almost lifted wholly from the comics.

Scrollbearer

Tad Williams

#13 2016-11-08 04:54:50

Merenwen
Pilgrim

Saw it yesterday and I think it was awesome. The visuals alone were worth it. Benedict Cumberbatch and especially Tilda Swinton are great, and I was also happy to see Mads Mikkelsen in the movie.

And I stayed until the very end. So does that mean Doctor Strange will also appear in Thor 3?

#14 2016-11-08 05:23:30

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Guess I'll have to see this at some point in time. Not in a cinema of course, that would be too much effort.
And if there's a Thor 3 coming, I hope it'll be better than #2...

"hitting the snooze button is totally an act of worship and not laziness"  -Magpie, slightly out of context

#15 2016-11-08 20:11:48

Auros
Pilgrim
Website

WAT?  Thor: The Dark World was spectacular!  The dark elves were meh, whatever, but the dynamic with Loki was awesome.

And yes, clearly Prettyface Britishguy will be appearing in Thor: Ragnarok.

#16 2016-11-09 04:09:04

Merenwen
Pilgrim

Peter wrote:

Guess I'll have to see this at some point in time. Not in a cinema of course, that would be too much effort.

I would say this is a movie that has to be seen in cinemas to have the full visual effects. I don't think it will look that good on a normal tv screen.

#17 2016-11-09 08:31:56

Marian
Pilgrim
Website

Merenwen wrote:

Peter wrote:

I would say this is a movie that has to be seen in cinemas to have the full visual effects. I don't think it will look that good on a normal tv screen.

I almost said the same thing,  but didn't feel Peter would be persuaded 😊

#18 2016-11-10 17:12:06

Seitherin
Mantis
Website

Saw it today. Hated the accent. Loved the movie.

"The evil done by men of goodwill is the worst of all." Iain Pears, The Dream of Scipio

"Where all think alike, no one thinks very much." Walter Lippmann (1889-1974)

So, I've got a blog . . . Now what? | A Stitch in Time | The Name Nook

#19 2016-11-16 20:00:55

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

Went to see this tonight with husband. I really enjoyed it! He was ehhh on it, but he's not a big movie fan to begin with. I think it would've been SO COOL to see more of the training. Plus maybe a bit more lore on all the other universes and possibilities... But it was really good as-is, and I definitely recommend it!

If you should do what makes you happy, and no one can tell you what makes you happy, then that means no one can tell you what to do!

Tamishu's Ramblings

#20 2017-03-18 02:32:27

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

I finally watched it last night and enjoyed it just as much as I had hoped to.
It was a pretty typical turning life upside down to become a better person-story. but besides that it was pretty fresh. Loved all the visuals, great character chemistry and banter, but not too much of it.
Looking forward both to Thor 3 and a possible Doctor Strange 2...?

Wouldn't the plural form of Olaf be Olaves? ;) - Firsfron of Ronchester

#21 2017-03-18 13:08:12

Auros
Pilgrim
Website

BTW, re: The Dark World, if anyone has not seen the deleted scenes, there's this deleted bit between Frigga and Loki that they definitely should NOT have cut; it develops more about Loki's backstory, how he got to be the way he is...  (I think they also cut some stuff from the first film that was like that, but it's been longer since I saw that disc and watched its deleted scenes, so I'm kind of hazy at this point on what was cut and what stayed in...)

#22 2017-03-18 14:38:25

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

I have to admit I don't quite remember Thor 2 *decides to re-watch it*

#23 2017-03-18 16:33:37

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

*1h 40m later*

Ah, now I remember... not that there's so much to remember.

Board footer