Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-11-03 23:38:07

bernie4366
Pilgrim

Question, comment for Tad

Just registered here in order to make this comment ;) 

http://www.sffchronicles.com/threads/40203/

"CN: Are there any of your surviving characters that you’ve considered spinning-off into other books?

TW (Tad Williams): Oh, I could definitely see writing a novel based around Orlando Gardiner from Otherland. That became clear when I wrote the “Happiest Dead Boy in the World” short story."

I've just reread the Otherland series, and it still holds up even at my incredibly advanced age of 48.  I had the same feeling when I finished the series that I had the first time I read it years ago, sadness that I was being forced out of that world.  The two short stories available helped of course, but I would just like to say, Tad, that if you're still considering a new novel based around the Orlando Gardiner... DO IT.  Just do it.  I enjoy all your work, but Otherland is something special.

Take care, all...

#2 2014-11-03 23:44:36

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Re: Question, comment for Tad

Welcome, Bernie! :)

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#3 2014-11-04 01:02:32

Olaf
Mantis
Website

Big welcome from me too.

Tad seems pretty booked up for the next couple of years:
The Last King of Osten Ard (3 volumes)
Two more Bobby Dollar books ( at least)
The Ordinary Farm Adventures (three more volumes)

So, if Tad gets around to it, it might be a while. More stories seem more likely at the moment.  If he has enough stories he can do a collection??

Scrollbearer

Writing books, especially long books, is a careful balance between laziness and masochism.
Tad Williams

#4 2014-11-04 01:35:53

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

Welcome to the boards, Bernie.

In all honesty, besides The Last King of Osten Ard, I am more interested in that other sf-story Tad mentioned. Something based upon one of his short stories. I can't seem to remember what it was exactly.

Wouldn't the plural form of Olaf be Olaves? ;) - Firsfron of Ronchester

#5 2014-11-04 01:49:27

Olaf
Mantis
Website

Oh, yes. Almost forgot that. The story is called AND MINISTERS OF GRACE. I want more of that as well!

Scrollbearer

Writing books, especially long books, is a careful balance between laziness and masochism.
Tad Williams

#6 2014-11-04 17:54:43

bernie4366
Pilgrim

Didn't Ministers of Grace turn into the Bobby Dollar series?  That interview was from several years back.  Thanks for the welcome, nice to be here ;)

#7 2014-11-04 19:12:24

laDuchesse
Pilgrim

Welcome from me as well, Bernie!
No. Ministers of Grace and Dobby Dollar are completely different. Different story, different world, different everything.

I think Smarch might have a higher-than-average percentage of introverts.  It's probably what makes us so awesome. Magpie

#8 2014-11-04 22:34:21

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

Tad mentioned somewhere (faceborg?) that he had a vision for a novel/series of novels based on And Ministers of Grace...

#9 2014-11-05 06:08:13

laDuchesse
Pilgrim

He said it repeateadly. If TLK had not come along it would have been his next project.

I think Smarch might have a higher-than-average percentage of introverts.  It's probably what makes us so awesome. Magpie

#10 2014-11-05 12:30:02

Tad
Hierarch
Website

Hi, Bernie, welcome aboard and thanks for the kind words.

The AND MINISTERS story is from a semi-planned (well, at least sort of conceptualized) science fiction thing called (for now) ARJUNA, about a civil war between earth colonies, rationalist/progressives versus religious believers.  (Surprise: Neither side is right.)  I'd very much like to get around to it one day, but because it will be "hard" science fiction, there will be a large ramp-up on technology necessary for me before writing.

At the moment, Deb and I are planning to end the current storyline in ORDINARY FARM after a third volume.  What will happen after that will require consideration and talking to publishers.

I will probably do Bobby Dollar books on the side.  Deb and I may publish them ourselves.

And, yes, I'll be pretty busy with THE LAST KING for the next couple of years.

"I'll let you be in my dreams if I can be in yours."

-- Dylan

#11 2014-11-05 16:41:09

Olaf
Mantis
Website

Hasn´t Daw comitted for Bobby Dollar  #4 and #5? At least that is what Betsy Wollheim said on Facebook.
Or did you mean beyond book 5?

Scrollbearer

Tad Williams

#12 2014-11-06 19:20:37

bernie4366
Pilgrim

Tad, what a pleasure to hear from The Man himself!  I'll be eagerly awaiting your next offering, whatever it may be.  Otherland will always have a special place in my heart though... maybe I'll try my hand at writing some fan fiction ;)

I must admit that I'm a little surprised at the equivalence you're setting up between the rationalist/progressive v. the religious faction, given that the religious factions in real life, to the best of my knowledge, have never been on the historically correct side of any issue since the dawn of time, and (again, to the best of my knowledge) the rationalist/progressives have ultimately never been wrong.  I would think that it would be tough to accommodate a religiously dogmatic faction as a sympathetic group in a 'hard' science fiction novel.  Technology has not been kind to Yahweh, Osiris, Thor etc over the years.

Last edited by bernie4366 (2014-11-06 19:22:13)

#13 2014-11-06 22:31:14

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

Arjuna Arjuna Arjuna *beats it into his head*
We want that hard sf, Tad!
But after TLK of course :)

#14 2014-11-06 22:31:50

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

Btw I could totally see Bobby Dollar as a tv series.

#15 2014-11-06 23:51:50

bernie4366
Pilgrim

well if Harry Dresden made it, I don't see why not.  Sucks they pulled the plug on that series so quickly btw... it showed some promise.

#16 2014-11-07 01:53:41

Olaf
Mantis
Website

Yes, Bobby D. needs to be on tv. Then the critics could  complain about all the gratuitous angel sex:-)

Scrollbearer

Tad Williams

#17 2015-01-24 10:08:40

geoffw35
Pilgrim

Tad,

I'm very pleased to hear you say you would like to write an Orlando novel. Otherland is my favorite or your works, which I've said before, and I would love to revisit that world. Your short story, The Happiest Dead Boy in the World, was very good. I loved the exploration of Orlando's relationships with others who are alive and his feelings about his immortal situation. What thrilled me the most about a potential new work is the idea of the OS being an emerging AI. That exploration could be fascinating.

It sounds like your plate is very full with other plans at the moment, however.

Best wishes,
Geoff

#18 2016-11-28 14:32:31

PunGently Writer
Pilgrim

I have stumbled onto Otherland, and am forced to be a fan.  It was a reminder of my youth when
you made unnamed reference the evil Wheelers in the Oz sim.

Thanks,

Alan

#19 2017-01-12 12:19:04

ysal
Pilgrim

Dear master Tad, friends,
I just finished Otherland (german Version, about 4000 pages). What a great work, thx for that.
There's only one thing, I do not get along with:
In the middle of the last book, you brought up the lovliest being of all, at last to me. Full of heart, love and courage! I fell in love with her immediately, went through hell with her and was crying as she vanished. Then I was crying again, as I found her back, living, but crying for Renie. Yep, of course: the girl made of stones. Don't know, if y have a name like stonegirl or something in y original. In germany she's called "Steinmädchen". I was so hopefull to have a meeting between her an Renie at the end, but :(.
So please let me know, that in your plans she's doing well, and Renie is! going back to visit her sometimes.
Most of all for she does not know about Renies survival.

Man, I've read so many books so far, but that being took my heart and did not let it go!

Once again, great great work.
So let's go on to Shadow march :)

best regards,

Oli

#20 2017-01-12 20:43:13

Jeremy_Erman
Pilgrim

Hi Oli! Welcome to the boards!

As far as I know, the last mention of the Stone Girl is in the second-to-last chapter of Sea of Silver Light, when Renie is in Kunohara's bubble house thinking about all of the people who helped in the recent events:

And I want to see the Stone Girl again, she realized. She may not have been real, but I certainly miss her. She resolved to ask Sellars about it when she had a chance.

This always made me hopeful that they would meet again:)

#21 2017-01-13 04:44:55

ysal
Pilgrim

Hey Jeremy,
it is mentioned in that way. So my hopes and thoughts are like yours. But I need an insurance :D

Anyways, thx for the answer and being someone who seems to love/like her too :)

Last edited by ysal (2017-01-13 04:57:02)

Board footer