Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-11-17 14:04:42

ylvs
Mantis

Tad's band has a CD out!

Find it on i-tunes Savage Roger - More Songs about Makeup and Microbats and here and prolly elsewhere.

#2 2014-11-17 14:12:41

ylvs
Mantis

Re: Tad's band has a CD out!

Listening to it now.

#3 2014-11-17 16:22:28

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Why was there no official news about this by Tad?
Taaaaaad!

Is the CD happening, or will we have to make do with a digital download? I still occasionally listen to the Idiot Reunion CDs, so I most definitely want this!

"hitting the snooze button is totally an act of worship and not laziness"  -Magpie, slightly out of context

#4 2014-11-17 23:54:36

ylvs
Mantis

2nd link has a proper CD as well. And is darn good music. I listened to it yesternight and liked it a lot.

#5 2014-11-18 05:46:06

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

I saw the CD option, but had the feeling it might just be the same as if I burn the files, not a proper CD with a small booklet and whatnot. But I don't know obviously, which is why I'd love for Tad to chime in. I remember him asking around if people were interested in CDs or if they would prefer digital downloads.

There was also a mention of signed copies.

"hitting the snooze button is totally an act of worship and not laziness"  -Magpie, slightly out of context

#6 2014-11-18 23:36:58

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Woah. Cool find.

How come no announcement from Tad?

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#7 2014-11-19 00:33:04

ylvs
Mantis

*summons the Dogly One*

#8 2014-11-19 03:38:53

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Bought the digital version yesterday and listened to it a couple times by now (but alway in the background). It's pretty straight up rock and not quite as crazy as the old Idiot stuff. I definitely like Tad's singing better than Rick's.

I'd still be up for a signed CD and I'd love some trivia, such as the backstory for the band name.

#9 2014-11-19 12:01:57

Tad
Hierarch
Website

The CD is in a nice cardboard sleeve.  That's all I know, because I haven't seen one yet.

I haven't had much chance to announce/comment because it's been a very, very busy last couple of weeks, obligation-wise.  Various book- and career-related events, a remodel of close to half our house (floors), and daughter's birthday, just to name a few things all happening in the same few days.  Not complaining, just explaining.  (Especially since we managed to lever a Smarchmoot party in there, which was great.)

The main physical difference between this band and our original band (Idiot) is that I was only lead singer and lyricist in the old band. Then for several years my bandmates were working on their own projects and playing together as a (very good) band called Zru Vogue.  I would occasionally sing with them informally, and we did a formal reunion in 1997, which I think is the only version of the original Idiot anyone's heard, although there are still tapes extant from the 1970s, including a local TV appearance).

The only member no longer in the Bay Area is our beloved original bass player, Tom (later Max), so at some point a few years back, I decided to take up the bass.  Also, I began writing music as well as lyrics for some songs.  (I consider myself still early in the learning curve of both.)

The name Savage Roger comes from a Bonzo Dog Band song.  Bonzos were THE musical comedy influence on us.  (They were friends with the Monty Python guys and several Beatles) and in their epic classic, "Trouser Press", someone says at one point, "You're so savage, Roger!".  So that's where that comes from.

We don't have as many "comedy" songs in our repertoire as we did in the old days, partially because we've only got about twenty songs written so far.  We had at least three or more times that number of original songs in our repertoire back in the seventies, many of them meant to be performed acoustically.  Haven't had time to build that up in our current incarnation.

(By the way, Andy -- who's the other main singer and songwriter -- wrote a series of songs about the fictional rise and fall of his fictional persona, Android Christ, from our semi-fictional original band, and that's the song cycle at the end of the record.)

I will arrange the easiest possible way for people to get discs signed.  Thanks for being interested.  Our second album will be even more ambitious, I suspect.

"I'll let you be in my dreams if I can be in yours."

-- Dylan

#10 2014-11-19 13:48:59

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

I did immediately recognize the name Rick Cuevas, but I did not know the other two band members are also from idiot days. And apparently you just decided to become even cooler and take up the bass, breaking the hearts of millions.

I like all the idiot references throughout the songs, such as the luxury cruiser.

Thanks for providing some backgound, much appreciated!

#11 2014-11-19 14:45:28

Tad
Hierarch
Website

Thanks, Peter.  It sounds like you've read the "Story of Our Band" thing I wrote back in the days of Idiot's reunion.  If not, I can post it again (if I can find it).

The sad thing is that so few of our acoustic songs got recorded.  They were some of our best work.  We would write entire rock operas -- subject matter including: Scandinavia, Elvis Gets Old But Still Stars in Movies, America's Tricentennial -- that never made it into the electric side of the band, but we would perform them at parties for those too dull and slow to escape the room.  We also had various imaginary opening acts (they were all us, too) and we wrote songs for them as well.

Some favorite acoustic song titles:

Soundproof Taco Stand

Bugs and Napkins

Pardon Me While I Coin A Phrase

Over-Night of the Living Dead (a song about cannibal cub scouts)

Old and Bold (subtitle: the Revenge Song)

God Is A Really Nice Guy

Vole Country

oh, and so many more, each sillier than the last.

-- Dylan

#12 2014-11-19 15:21:22

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Tad wrote:

Thanks, Peter.  It sounds like you've read the "Story of Our Band" thing I wrote back in the days of Idiot's reunion.  If not, I can post it again (if I can find it).

I did, both online, many years ago (I can't remember where you posted it) and more recently in Rite.

Tad wrote:

The sad thing is that so few of our acoustic songs got recorded.  They were some of our best work.  We would write entire rock operas -- subject matter including: Scandinavia, Elvis Gets Old But Still Stars in Movies, America's Tricentennial -- that never made it into the electric side of the band, but we would perform them at parties for those too dull and slow to escape the room.  We also had various imaginary opening acts (they were all us, too) and we wrote songs for them as well.

The Elvis song would be "Sunspots over Miami", I assume? You mention Elvis getting really old and really fat, contemplating... moving in one of the many brilliant intros. I think it is Rick who comments "Guess who ended up writing Science Fiction and Fantasy novels" and later asks if that's what this song was about.

Tad wrote:

Some favorite acoustic song titles:

Soundproof Taco Stand

Bugs and Napkins

Pardon Me While I Coin A Phrase

Over-Night of the Living Dead (a song about cannibal cub scouts)

Old and Bold (subtitle: the Revenge Song)

God Is A Really Nice Guy

Vole Country

oh, and so many more, each sillier than the last.

Of those only God Is A Really Nice Guy made it onto the reunion CD, introduced as a favourite Idiot party song. Probably to get everyone out the door for better access to the buffet. (I'm kidding, of course)

Last edited by Peter (2014-11-19 15:21:41)

#13 2014-11-20 16:37:06

JirikisLoveSlave
Pilgrim
Website

You need a music vid? I'm your girrrrrlllll.... we can start with a slide show of your awesome facebook photos and go from there.... ;)

#14 2017-01-01 11:08:46

ylvs
Mantis

Savage Roger's new album Sicker and Crazier is out on i-tunes, amazon, apple music and spotify and prolly elsewhere ...

So the new year did start good after all. A mighty fine album again.

#15 2017-01-01 13:09:42

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Totally forgot about that when Tad's announcement only contained an iTunes link. Need to check it out in the coming days.

#16 2017-01-02 11:00:43

Tad
Hierarch
Website

My friend and bandmate Andrew Lawrence Jackson sent me this:

To summarize where to buy/download/stream Savage Roger "Sicker and Crazier":

Bandcamp (just published now):
https://savageroger.bandcamp.com/album/ … nd-crazier

CD Baby:
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/savageroger2

iTunes Store:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/sicke … 1189628806

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P … PJj90piJM6

Amazon Music:
http://a.co/1OXmrcw

And more, I’m sure… I don’t use Spotify but I expect it’s on there too.

-- Dylan

#17 2017-01-02 11:07:11

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Thanks, Tad!

I did some googling yesterday night and found the bandcamp page, where I bought it. (Amazon doesn't seem to feature lossless downloads, at least there's no mention in their help section)

#18 2017-01-02 13:16:02

Tad
Hierarch
Website

Thanks, Peter.  Every little bit helps us in our long-term plan to disrupt human civilization and get ourselves piles of treats.  Failing that, we'll settle for just the treats.

-- Dylan

#19 2017-01-02 14:48:43

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Every scoop of ice cream saves a part of your soul. Or corrupts it in delicious ways.

#20 2017-01-02 15:32:23

Tad
Hierarch
Website

Mmmmmmm.  Soul corruption.  <Homer Simpson drool.>

-- Dylan

Board footer