Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-11-30 16:09:06

Frank
Pilgrim

Music to Read Bobby Dollar By

If you are like me, you enjoy reading your favorite novel while listening to music (Pink Floyd, Katatonia, Porcupine Tree, Jethro Tull, Riverside & Rush to name a few).  Sometimes the music you're listening to while reading will become indelibly associated with the book or series you are reading.

This was the case for me and the Bobby Dollar series.  As we all know, there was a constant edge or some might term it a constant state of desperation throughout the Bobby Dollar books.  As the character Caz emerged as the object of Bobby's devotion & desire, the level desperation-angst (that's what I like to call it) only continued to increase.

At about that time I started to use the Pandora streaming music service a lot while I was traveling for business (I tend to discover a lot of things late - oh well...).  Sitting in planes and airports does give you a lot of time to read and listen to music.

So at the same time I was reading the Bobby Dollar series I was also exposed to the band Breaking Bejamin's 2009 release entitled "Dear Agony".  It seemed like every gut wrenching twist and turn of the story was being represented in one of the songs from that record.

To this day, the music contained in that release (Dear Agony seems like such an apropos title to be associated with the book series) brings back immediate and vivid memories of various parts of the story.  Makes me want to go and read it again.

"You don't get if you don't ask" - Author Unknown

#2 2016-11-30 23:01:21

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Re: Music to Read Bobby Dollar By

Welcome to the boards, Frank!

(I don't listen to music much, so sadly I don't have anything to say about that.)

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#3 2016-12-01 04:33:22

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Re: Music to Read Bobby Dollar By

Welcome aboard, Frank!

I don't usually listen to music while reading (too distracting), and didn't listen to anything while reading the first two Bobby Dollar books.

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

Board footer