Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

• Index
  •  » Otherland
  •  » I can't really express how much I want to thank you for those books

#26 2016-04-06 13:06:00

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Re: I can't really express how much I want to thank you for those books

ylvs wrote:

Really? Two newbies that genuinely seem interested in Smarch (this is what we call the board because it originated with the Shadowmarch online project in 2001 and we refused to give up the name when it migrated to tadwilliams.com) at the same time?

This reminds me of something I've been thinking on and off for some time, maybe we should have a thread somewhere explaining all those Smarch things to newbies (hopefully there will be still more with the new books coming) - like the name, and why Tad is the Dog, and jellybeans...

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#27 2016-04-06 13:09:42

ylvs
Mantis

Ha ha! Great idea. Or even better: we should have a Smarch wiki.

To meet an old friend is like the finding of a welcoming campfire in the dark. Qanuc saying
Scrollbearer
Titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Arsonist of the probably most spectacular Mint burning ever

#28 2016-04-06 13:12:40

ylvs
Mantis

Kareehla wrote:

I'm really glad I found this possibility to improve my English AND talk about books at the same time xD

Smarch - improving your English by the post!

There are quite a few Europeans around here who did just that. Me included.

To meet an old friend is like the finding of a welcoming campfire in the dark. Qanuc saying
Scrollbearer

#29 2016-04-06 13:22:23

Magpie
Mantis
Website

ylvs wrote:

Ha ha! Great idea. Or even better: we should have a Smarch wiki.

That would work, too. (But it's not something I have experience with.)

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough

#30 2016-04-06 13:26:33

ylvs
Mantis

Firs has a MST wiki over on ostenard.com. AfaIk wikis are quite easy to fill.And one could look up certain things without having to scroll through a tread that would not be too small. But maybe we ask Aan or strangeshe first if it could be integrated on Smarch or whatever. A thread would certainly be easier...

Scrollbearer

#31 2016-04-06 13:33:43

Magpie
Mantis
Website

We could always start with the thread and copy the entries to the wiki later.

(Kareehla, please witness another typical Smarch thing: compulsive thread-derailing.)

- Tad

#32 2016-04-06 13:42:14

Kareehla
Pilgrim

ylvs wrote:

Kareehla wrote:

I'm really glad I found this possibility to improve my English AND talk about books at the same time xD

Smarch - improving your English by the post!

There are quite a few Europeans around here who did just that. Me included.

This could be a new slogan xD
You want to be able to communicate freely without feeling at a loss for words? Come to us! We will teach you EVERYTHING about it, just you wait. Although you MAY get obsessed with Tad's books...and we won't feel sorry for it :P

But the idea does sound good, I was ( and still am) a bit confused by some details only seasoned Smarchers seem to understand^^
Since I myself am a genius at derailing a conversation from talking about trees to hugging trees, talking trees and finally a treatment for cancer (don't ask, I don't know why xD), I think this phenomenon to be perfectly normal xD

The loneliest people are the kindest.
The sadest people smile the brightest.
The most damaged people are the wisest.
All because they don't wish to see anyone else suffer the way they did...

#33 2016-04-06 14:03:25

Sahi
Mantis
Website

I guess I really do have to update the history to keep my title, huh? I'll just have to make that my Nanowrimo project for this year. I'll start a topic about that soon.

(Oh, and for the new people, us smarchers tend to drag every topic off the rails. Sorry about that.)

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#34 2016-04-06 23:22:26

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

ylvs wrote:

Firs has a MST wiki over on ostenard.com. AfaIk wikis are quite easy to fill.And one could look up certain things without having to scroll through a tread that would not be too small. But maybe we ask Aan or strangeshe first if it could be integrated on Smarch or whatever. A thread would certainly be easier...

The MS&T Wiki isn't actually mine, although I have contributed to a few pages from time to time, naturally.

And, as Ylvs says, it's quite easy to fill in with info.

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#35 2016-04-08 23:21:47

rimses
Pilgrim

Welcome, Kareehla.

Quite similar thoughts on Otherland when I first read them 15 years ago.

If the subjective character of experience is fully comprehensible only from one point of view, then any shift to greater objectivity-that is, less attachement to a specific viewpoint-does not take us nearer to the real nature of the phenomenon: it takes us farther away from it

-Thomas Nagel, What is it like to be a bat?

#36 2016-09-05 04:00:25

Nachtlicht
Pilgrim

Hi Kareehla,

I share your feelings about the Otherland books, you just put them into words in a way I couldn´t have :) I just wanted to let you know: I live in Munich, too, and since I think I have most if not all of Tads books in the original version- if there´s one you don´t have yet but want to read (without your parents getting angry about MORE books)- be my guest :o)

BR

Petra

#37 2016-09-05 06:08:24

ylvs
Mantis

A warm welcome to the boards Nachtlicht!

Another German - we'll be conquering the board soon.

Although - *ponders* - maybe not.

Hope to read more from you ...

Scrollbearer

#38 2016-09-06 05:51:54

Nachtlicht
Pilgrim

Hellohello! Sorry I didn´t even introduce myself yet- that´s what you get from being two steps ahead in your mind *blush*.
I´m Petra from Germany, I live in Munich and many years ago finding the Otherland books, and after that the War of the flowers, and then... well everything else Tad ever wrote, felt much like what Kahreela wrote. I love fantasy novels, but most of them lack... well, a convincing story, I think. Just because the fantasy genre allows an author to invent any plot he can think of doesn´t mean it always makes sense for the reader... and for me, more often than not it doesn´t :) So it was kind of an enlightenment to read those books (with this GOOD feeling of having so many more pages ahead of me...) and find the characters so convincing and the story so realictic that afterwards you ask yourself- was it really Sam and Xabbu and Orlando it happened to... not myself, maybe?! And shouldn´t I call Renie once in a while just to hear how she is doing these days- I haven´t heard from her for too long already ...Well you know what I mean!
Sadly there seems to be noone around here who shares my love for Tads fiction so it´s double COOL to find all of you here!

@Ylvs... there might be a time when you regret hoping to hear more from me; as you can see once I start babbling I never stop...

#39 2016-09-06 07:25:50

ylvs
Mantis

Oh do not worry Nachtlicht, we're all big babblers. If you want to get to know the regulars check out the Quiller's Mint. That's the hang out and day to day chatter sub forum here. We're a warm and welcoming bunch. And there is the Welcomes and Introductions thread for first hellos. Otherwise post away where ever ...

Scrollbearer

#40 2016-09-06 13:46:04

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Nachtlicht wrote:

Hellohello! Sorry I didn´t even introduce myself yet- that´s what you get from being two steps ahead in your mind *blush*.
I´m Petra from Germany, I live in Munich and many years ago finding the Otherland books, and after that the War of the flowers, and then... well everything else Tad ever wrote, felt much like what Kahreela wrote. I love fantasy novels, but most of them lack... well, a convincing story, I think. Just because the fantasy genre allows an author to invent any plot he can think of doesn´t mean it always makes sense for the reader... and for me, more often than not it doesn´t :)

Yes, yes, and yes! I feel the same way. It's very hard for me to find a fantasy novel that has a convincing story.

So it was kind of an enlightenment to read those books (with this GOOD feeling of having so many more pages ahead of me...) and find the characters so convincing and the story so realictic that afterwards you ask yourself- was it really Sam and Xabbu and Orlando it happened to... not myself, maybe?! And shouldn´t I call Renie once in a while just to hear how she is doing these days- I haven´t heard from her for too long already ...Well you know what I mean!
Sadly there seems to be noone around here who shares my love for Tads fiction so it´s double COOL to find all of you here!

@Ylvs... there might be a time when you regret hoping to hear more from me; as you can see once I start babbling I never stop...

We don't want you to stop! :)

Tad is hugely popular in Germany, and a huge number of the clicks that come in to OstenArd.com are from Germany. Weird that you haven't found more Tad-readers in Munchen. But welcome, nonetheless!

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#41 2016-09-06 22:59:22

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Welcome, Nachtlicht!

- Tad

#42 2016-09-07 03:01:44

Nachtlicht
Pilgrim

Yes, since the LOTR movies it´s harder to find really good fantasy books- there seem to be dwarfs and elfs and orks fighting all around but it´s only the same old story over and over. Boooring (to say it with the tribe)! And not very original. I like it when the characters are so threedimensional (is that really an English word...?) I forget they don´t really exist and this happens only (...pondering... yes... ONLY) with Tads books while with others it sometimes feels like the people in the book were not as important to the author as the plot. So- how lucky we are to have him :o)))

And as for not finding any Tad readers... I guess I`m with the wrong people :) All so sensible and only reading non fiction; in my line of work and the company I work for, having a lively imagination is not among the common traits I guess :/ What does that tell me about myself by the way... well.
Anyway I am sure there must be lots of them. Unfortunately they don´t wear T-Shirts saying "Tad Williams for president!" but- thanks to www I was still able to find you!

#43 2016-09-07 03:02:29

Nachtlicht
Pilgrim

Magpie wrote:

Welcome, Nachtlicht!

Hello Magpie! *waves*

#44 2016-09-07 11:06:28

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Nachtlicht wrote:

Yes, since the LOTR movies it´s harder to find really good fantasy books- there seem to be dwarfs and elfs and orks fighting all around but it´s only the same old story over and over.

Weirdly, we got most of that style of book in the 1980s. Hundreds of Tolkien clones. Bad ones, anyway. Tad's MS&T ushered in a change in the genre, although he certainly wasn't the only influence.

Boooring (to say it with the tribe)! And not very original. I like it when the characters are so threedimensional (is that really an English word...?)

Yes, it's an English word! :) (You will definitely improve your English, posting here).

I forget they don´t really exist and this happens only (...pondering... yes... ONLY) with Tads books while with others it sometimes feels like the people in the book were not as important to the author as the plot. So- how lucky we are to have him :o)))

Yes, indeed. It's funny how we can imagine, for example, having a conversation over coffee or tea with Renie, and knowing exactly what she might say on many topics. Same with many of the MS&T characters.

And as for not finding any Tad readers... I guess I`m with the wrong people :) All so sensible and only reading non fiction; in my line of work and the company I work for, having a lively imagination is not among the common traits I guess :/ What does that tell me about myself by the way... well.
Anyway I am sure there must be lots of them. Unfortunately they don´t wear T-Shirts saying "Tad Williams for president!" but- thanks to www I was still able to find you!

Hmmm... we really do need that shirt....

#45 2016-09-07 11:41:20

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Firsfron of Ronchester wrote:

Hmmm... we really do need that shirt....

I was going to say the same.

*taps fingers impatiently*

- Tad

• Index
  •  » Otherland
  •  » I can't really express how much I want to thank you for those books

Board footer