Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-04-12 22:49:18

Sahi
Mantis
Website

The yoga mat

Because ylvs asked for a separate topic on yoga!

I've copied most of the conversation from the Mint.

Kenan wrote:

Marian wrote:

Kenan wrote:

Is it your back still bothering you? At least you got time with Otherland, surely that is worth sacrificing some sleep :o)

I have an annoying pain in my hip when I sit up too much... not sure what to do about it.

Which part of hip? Front or side? (If you like anatomy! Hip flexors or gluteus medius?)

Side, most noticably when I was laying down in bed and was lifting my leg off the ground up to the bed.

Also hi how are you Marian? :)

Marian wrote:

Try pigeon pose! That link has some good options, so find the one that feels good. It is one of my favorites before bed.

I am okay.... Monday isn't too awful.

Peter wrote:

I don't think I could even come close to any of those poses...

Marian wrote:

Firsfron of Ronchester wrote:

Kenan wrote:

I promise to try, but I am not sure my body bends that way!

Seriously! Did you see Modification #3?! Try that one and you'll never have kids!

No, that is really gentle... if you have your thigh resting on a blanket, it creates a lot of space around the groin area and reduces the intensity of the stretch in the hips. Using the band around the foot only adds a quad stretch.

I have several men in my class, and pigeon is their favorite, even without those modifications.

Marian wrote:

I would reccommend starting with both knees bent, as in version two. And honestly, if you can't do that, you NEED to do that... every day. It's a fairly gentle hip opener, and if you feel your hips are too tight for that, well, it's basic range of motion and you really need it.

Marian wrote:

Check out:

Why are hip openers so good for me?

ETA: highlight: "Tight hips affect everything from your ability to get into Wheel Pose to simply being able to pick up something off the floor. When hips are tight, they increase the load and cause overuse of the spine. In addition to the benefits of improved range of motion and circulation and decreased back pain, opening the hips can create an energetic shift or release as well."

Hips and shoulders do seem to be areas where we hold stress, they need love!

Peter wrote:

Hmm. I think I can kind of do pose #2 (the picture doesn't show clearly what to do with the other leg), but I can't bend my back backwards like that. Not even close. Maybe I could do it physically, but it would hurt immensely.

Marian wrote:

I would reccommend starting with both knees bent, as in version two. And honestly, if you can't do that, you NEED to do that... every day. It's a fairly gentle hip opener, and if you feel your hips are too tight for that, well, it's basic range of motion and you really need it.

I tried these out just now on my carpet, and was able to do a few of these positions, after several attempts. I found that if I was patient, I could work my way up to getting into those positions, but they sure didn't come easy. I didn't attempt #3, but I had some success with the base Pigeon and the first two modifications.  On the basic Pigeon, I found I could put my right leg back into a position approximating the model's, but not my left leg, which stubbornly refused to get into position. I also tended to tilt over.

I also need something to keep from slouching.

Marian wrote:

Good work, Firs. :) That isn't bad at all for trying it cold. I didn't mention yesterday, but hip openers are best after some limbering exercises or a warm shower.

Anyway, it sounds like you all really need yoga! :) There are tons of videos on YouTube. If you are nervous start with searches for beginner or gentle yoga.

Merenwen wrote:

Marian wrote:

I think I need to try that when I am home, although I don't think I can do it... I am as unathletic and stiff as you can possibly be. The only trained muscle in my body is the masticatory muscle. I know this is not good for my body - the sitting all the day at work causes me pain already. I try to stretch myself from time to time and go out for a walk during lunch break when the weather is nice, as you suggested to me some time ago. It really makes me feel better. But I think those exercises are very interesting.

Marian wrote:

I just searched "gentle hip opening yoga" and there are many results!  Here is a 15 minute morning sequence.

Sahi wrote:

Any exercises for better posture? (Especially to straighten my back.)

Sahi wrote:

Heh, maybe we could do an online class one day. :) Although getting payments across the ocean might be a bit of an issue. :D

Kenan wrote:

I did the modification 1 version today after running. Not elegantly, mind, but I did it :)

Marian wrote:

Good work, Firs. :) That isn't bad at all for trying it cold. I didn't mention yesterday, but hip openers are best after some limbering exercises or a warm shower.

My legs are a bit sore this morning, just from those simple stretches. Especially the hamstrings, but also the area right above the knees. So I know I definitely need more work.

Kenan wrote:

Kenan wrote:

Hey I never said I looked rediculous! Grrr! ;o)

Oh, sorry. I should have said, "Oh, good. I wasn't the only one looking non-elegant on the floor!"

Indeed! Luckily, no one else saw me to judge...

My calf muscles are sore after running up the hills! Doing something right.

Marian wrote:

I am so proud of you guys. :)

I really can't imagine how I would feel without yoga in my life. I highly recommend it.

Peter, your physio doesn't give you an exercise Rx? I am not recommending you do anything without medical approval, but I don't remember any backbends in those pix, but even if there are, it isn't needed. Usually we do it with hands on the floor (or elbows, or extended all the way out).

Sahi, yes on good exercises for posture! Low cobra or upper locust are good ones to look up, and anything where you are engaging the muscles between the shoulder blades, such as back rows with barbells.

I will try to add links later!

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#2 2016-05-15 00:47:29

ylvs
Mantis

Re: The yoga mat

I did not do so but meant to say: you're such a sweetness, Sahi.

I did try a bit but do not manage most due to bad balance. :-(

#3 2016-05-15 03:25:44

Sahi
Mantis
Website

I should do some research when I get home, and after that start a yoga challenge on habitica.

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#4 2016-05-16 14:28:43

Marian
Pilgrim
Website

https://m.youtube.com/watch?utm_campaig … ium=social

My friend made this video. Yoga poses for people with tight hips, modified for non-yoga people. :)

#5 2016-05-27 09:47:06

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

Marian wrote:

I just searched "gentle hip opening yoga" and there are many results!  Here is a 15 minute morning sequence.

I'll try this tomorrow after breakfast, I think I do need it. My mornings are usually so fast and I'm out of her in 30 minutes, but I could take time for this if it helps.

Wouldn't the plural form of Olaf be Olaves? ;) - Firsfron of Ronchester

#6 2016-05-28 02:14:06

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

Well I didn't break my hip doing that, so at least it's something.

#7 2016-05-28 05:42:45

Marian
Pilgrim
Website

Check out the last link I posted, too, lots of good stuff for beginners.

#8 2016-05-28 06:07:51

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

Thanks, I'll try that some other time :)

#9 2016-05-29 03:55:46

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

My back and hip were awful all day yesterday. But it was the illiopsoas. Lying on my belly and reading made it better. It might be a disk slipping out...
Anyway, did the hip opener yoga exercise again today. Main problem is I have a bad wrist (leftie) and it's difficult to put the weight on my body on it. Impossible after a while. But otherwise I did all the exercises after a fashion...

#10 2016-05-29 08:38:19

Marian
Pilgrim
Website

Try making a fist for support. It is a little awkward, but will take pressure off the wrist at least!

#11 2016-05-29 10:21:46

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

I appreciate the tip, but I have tried that to no avail. I might need something so I can go down on my elbows instead.

Board footer