Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

• Index
  •  » Art
  •  » Where is Matt Rhodes now?

#1 2005-08-26 20:26:00

AndrewThespis
Pilgrim
Website

Where is Matt Rhodes now?

I was just looking at all the old Shadowmarch galleries, and once again admiring Matt Rhodes's work.  Doing a google search, I was dismayed to find that not only has no gallery of his work been updated in some time, some of the more recents sited his work was hosted on are missing!  I hate to think such a talented artist is vanishing instead of flourishing.  Anyone know where he went?

WARNING: This member has been know to display marked proclivity for Short Inane Statements, alternated by Long Didactic Monologues.  Also exhibits a strong tendency towards Large Unnecessary Words, including but not limited to 'proclivity' and 'didactic'.

#2 2005-08-31 01:27:00

rimses
Pilgrim

Re: Where is Matt Rhodes now?

i totally agree... didnīt have a look at the galleries for years.

absolutely great.

If the subjective character of experience is fully comprehensible only from one point of view, then any shift to greater objectivity-that is, less attachement to a specific viewpoint-does not take us nearer to the real nature of the phenomenon: it takes us farther away from it

-Thomas Nagel, What is it like to be a bat?

#3 2005-08-31 10:05:00

Lunar
Pilgrim

yap! would love to see new work from him!!!!!!!!

"This heart gets stronger, this skin gets thicker, this mouth gets louder"

#4 2005-08-31 11:26:00

Tad
Hierarch
Website

I haven't talked to Matt in a while, but remember, he was very young when he did that work, and was just about to go off to college.  I suspect he's working hard at school, perfecting his already impressive skills, and that we will hear much from him in days to come.

But I'll try to track down his email address and write to him, anyway, just to see if I can get an update.

"I'll let you be in my dreams if I can be in yours."

-- Dylan

#5 2005-09-01 00:10:00

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Ooh, yes please! Pictures from later chapters would be great.

Yalahii.

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#6 2005-09-01 08:18:00

Lunar
Pilgrim

after this threath went up i dicided to write matt an e-mail and...her is what he answered
"Howdy,

thanks for sending this email! it's awesome that you remembered my stuff. I did that Shadowmarch stuff right out of high school, so that was about 5 years ago now. Since then i've graduated from art school and work as a concept artist for the videogame developer 'Bioware'. As for my current work, you can find some recent sketches of mine at Rhodesbros.com (I still need to throw a few things in my finished section).

best,

matt "

so he still draws which is good ,-)

@Tad : his e-mail adresse on his page (the one you have linked here on smarch) still works ...

[ September 01, 2005: Message edited by: Lunar_strain ]

#7 2005-09-01 08:20:00

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Thanks for posting that Lunar_strain!

Glad to know he's doing okay. Let's hope your reminder of smarch will lure him back here. :)

Yalahii.

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#8 2005-09-01 08:37:00

Lunar
Pilgrim

*g* hope so too
he has fans here ,-)
I guess working for biowar is a nice thing...(also hope so for him) just googeld it and found out which games they did...nice!

#9 2005-09-02 06:04:00

Sarah
Pilgrim
Website

Oooo, yes. Myself and my boyfriend are big fans of some Bioware titles; NWN, Baldur's Gate, Jade Empire. An excellent company to be working for. Good for him!

#10 2005-09-02 10:06:00

chamberk
Pilgrim

Bioware's pretty solid, I'd say.  Still, I wouldn't mind seeing more of his stuff for Shadowmarch - one of his pictures of Barrick and Briony still makes the rounds on my desktop as background sometimes.

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows."  - Bob Dylan

#11 2005-09-06 02:25:00

rimses
Pilgrim

thanks for the info, l_s

If the subjective character of experience is fully comprehensible only from one point of view, then any shift to greater objectivity-that is, less attachement to a specific viewpoint-does not take us nearer to the real nature of the phenomenon: it takes us farther away from it

-Thomas Nagel, What is it like to be a bat?

#12 2015-12-23 16:10:48

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

*serious topic necromancy*

Flutepicc randomly noticed that a Matt Rhodes is listed as the lead concept artist for Dragon Age: Inquisiton and we both checked that it is the same Matt Rhodes that did some of the Smarch drawings of old. A nice surprise as this is a prestigious position, being the lead concept artist for a very expensive AAA production. An even bigger surprise is finding part of this information in a ten year old post by Lunar. Smarch knows it all...

You can google for him to find plenty of concept art and googling him with Shadowmarch brings the confirmation that it's indeed the same artist and a little recollection.

http://mattrhodesart.blogspot.co.at/
http://mattrhodesart.tumblr.com/post/57 … forgive-my

"hitting the snooze button is totally an act of worship and not laziness"  -Magpie, slightly out of context

#13 2015-12-23 23:24:05

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Cool!

Scrollbearer

#14 2015-12-23 23:38:14

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

GREAT find, Peter (and Flutepicc)! How awesome!

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#15 2015-12-24 14:43:37

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Flutepicc did all the finding, but decided not to post because some said half the news 10 years ago :D .

"hitting the snooze button is totally an act of worship and not laziness"  -Magpie, slightly out of context

• Index
  •  » Art
  •  » Where is Matt Rhodes now?

Board footer