Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#76 2015-09-12 13:29:43

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Re: FIRST BETA WEEKEND

They will restart the servers in the next minutes (no idea how long it will take) and apply a patch that should (hopefully) fix most of the portal/transition issues. Let's see if my character gets unstuck. If not, the character on EU has reached the same point now, but failed to teleport twice (and I read the server message before I tried a 3rd time).

May the birds who shelter in your branches never poop on the innocent. -Tad

#77 2015-09-12 13:36:00

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

So far there's been one cool feature I really liked:

Before you choose the class of your character you can try all the classes in the tutorial area, which is implemented in a very neat way.

You also meet a bunch of familiar characters, but there's not enough flavour there to make it a big feature for me.

#78 2015-09-12 13:36:23

ylvs
Mantis

This all sounds quite complicated and time consuming. Certainly not the right thing for a gamer newbie at this point ...

To meet an old friend is like the finding of a welcoming campfire in the dark. Qanuc saying
Scrollbearer
Titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Arsonist of the probably most spectacular Mint burning ever

#79 2015-09-12 13:40:15

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Indeed. At this point it's alpha quality, so you are really a tester more than a player. That's true for the server side at least. The content may have early Beta quality, but I can't tell yet.

So far they do a good job at rapidly responding to the problems and keeping the players informed (still wish they had ingame messages for the critical issues).

#80 2015-09-12 15:19:52

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Game does seem more stable now. My character on NA is also functioning once more (probably due to the server reset and not due to any dev work) and I put in another 2 hours or so. The game looks fairly nice in some areas, but it does have unexpected performance issues and there are some glitches.

Still plenty of bugs to be found everywhere, but my main problem with the game is shifting to something different: Combat isn't fun yet. It also doesn't make much sense, because the tooltips contain no numbers. From what I could figure out, the balancing seems to be really strange.

UI issues abound in the game, just as they do in the login area. Not the primary focus for the team right now, which has to be stability, but the sheer amount of problems in that area do not shine a good light on their UI team. Either that, or they started UI work very late in the dev process. I could not figure out how to put additional skills onto the skill bar, though I can rearrange those that are there. It's also possible it will work after a login. Or maybe some of them are passive, but there's nothing in the game to explain that.

#81 2015-09-13 11:21:29

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Firs, have you peeked into the game yet?

#82 2015-09-16 06:03:08

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

I have finally taken the time to try it on my work computer (Desktop i3-4330, integrated graphics, I testes at 1280x720 instead of the full screen resolution), which has roughly equivalent performance to a typical (not sub 500€) notebook from the last 2 years.

The verdict is: Better than expected. It obviously won't look good on integrated graphics, but their claimed minimum requirements are fair and the gameplay is surprisingly fluid. If your notebook features an i5-4xxx or better, it should work.

Older notebooks with i5 or i7 CPUs from the 2000 or 3000 series (or even older i5/i7-xxx) with integrated graphics might be too slow on the graphics side. If you have an additional GPU from AMD/ATI or Nvidia, those notebooks are probably fine as well. It does not seem to be very memory hungry, so I think 3GB should be enough, 2 may work if you close everything else (email, browser, skype, etc). Official requirement is 4GB.

i3 CPUs from the last 2 years may work, but I don't have a way of testing how CPU hungry it is. Notebook i3's aren't much slower on the GPU but are way slower on the CPU side compared to a desktop i3 or a notebook i5.

Last edited by Peter (2015-09-16 06:03:39)

#83 2015-09-16 08:09:25

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Peter wrote:

Firs, have you peeked into the game yet?

I didn't get it fully downloaded. I'll try again today.

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#84 2015-09-20 14:37:39

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

I did finally get to play today, after the download at last completed.

It was interesting! I chose the warrior class, destroyed Jongleur's throne, and eventually got stuck in a wall. I don't think that was supposed to happen. Nonetheless, it was a fun adventure.

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#85 2015-09-20 14:51:31

Marian
Pilgrim
Website

Peter wrote:

I have finally taken the time to try it on my work computer (Desktop i3-4330, integrated graphics, I testes at 1280x720 instead of the full screen resolution), which has roughly equivalent performance to a typical (not sub 500€) notebook from the last 2 years.

The verdict is: Better than expected. It obviously won't look good on integrated graphics, but their claimed minimum requirements are fair and the gameplay is surprisingly fluid. If your notebook features an i5-4xxx or better, it should work.

Older notebooks with i5 or i7 CPUs from the 2000 or 3000 series (or even older i5/i7-xxx) with integrated graphics might be too slow on the graphics side. If you have an additional GPU from AMD/ATI or Nvidia, those notebooks are probably fine as well. It does not seem to be very memory hungry, so I think 3GB should be enough, 2 may work if you close everything else (email, browser, skype, etc). Official requirement is 4GB.

i3 CPUs from the last 2 years may work, but I don't have a way of testing how CPU hungry it is. Notebook i3's aren't much slower on the GPU but are way slower on the CPU side compared to a desktop i3 or a notebook i5.

This is what has always kept me from big online games, really. I think I would enjoy the game itself, but the technical language of hardware makes me tune out.

#86 2015-09-20 15:46:24

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Firsfron of Ronchester wrote:

I did finally get to play today, after the download at last completed.

It was interesting! I chose the warrior class, destroyed Jongleur's throne, and eventually got stuck in a wall. I don't think that was supposed to happen. Nonetheless, it was a fun adventure.

And you've already managed something I couldn't!
*adds "get stuck in a wall" to his to-do list*

#87 2015-09-20 15:51:36

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Marian wrote:

This is what has always kept me from big online games, really. I think I would enjoy the game itself, but the technical language of hardware makes me tune out.

I agree this is a problem with PCs and one of the reasons consoles are so popular. I don't know of a trivial way to test this (though some not too difficult ones).

Well, if you're interested, you can always ask a hardware nerd to check things for you. The game is very modest compared to many current titles. It will most likely run on any PC or even laptop that was designed for gaming and sold in the last ~8 years.

(This is pretty typical for MMOs in general, they tend to be mild on hardware, to allow casual gamers to play)

However there is an enormous difference between gaming and office or multimedia PCs. The game will work on many of those, but not as far back as 8 years and you can still buy a very few PCs and some laptops that would not play it well.

#88 2015-09-20 23:47:36

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Peter wrote:

And you've already managed something I couldn't!
*adds "get stuck in a wall" to his to-do list*

If you can manage it, it's kinda cool at first. Then, it begins to be a drag. ;)

#89 2015-09-30 05:07:02

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

The game has received two patches since my (and Firsfron's) last look and should be both more understandable (lots of tooltips have been added and enhanced) and more stable (you should be able to teleport out of your cuddly wall to your U-Space now).

The question which version to get has also been simplified, since you can now upgrade to a higher version by buying a DLC.

#90 2015-10-01 09:38:33

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

I'll check it out this weekend!

#91 2015-10-01 09:40:29

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

I'm trying to make some time for it as well, but... so many games, so many books.

#92 2015-11-27 10:03:00

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

If anyone is still interested, it's currently on sale (50%). I have not played since the release, so I do not know how much they improved the game.

Board footer