Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

• Index
  •  » Art
  •  » Indreju, the sword of Jiriki

#1 2015-09-03 13:14:04

Sojourn
Pilgrim

Indreju, the sword of Jiriki

Well, I was going to wait closer to the 2016 release date for the new book, but since it's been pushed back, might as well share now. Reached out to my friendly neighborhood Witchwood merchant (interesting fellow - runs in a variety of circles and works in all kinds of imports and exports). Found me a sword belonging to some guy named Jiriki.

Here are a couple of views. Enjoy.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/20975434@ … ed-public/

#2 2015-09-03 17:13:35

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Re: Indreju, the sword of Jiriki

Nice detail work, Sojourn!

Is that the blade itself which is carved? I did not imagine that. But it's beautiful! Ask the merchant if he knows how it was made. Maybe Jiriki gave him all the details. I'd like to craft something similar, but I never have the time/talent/etc.

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#3 2015-09-03 21:07:17

Sojourn
Pilgrim

Thank you very much.

Truth be told, the merchant wasn't very forthcoming, but here is what I know. It's just a decent piece of hardwood (any kind will work). Carved with regular tools. I interpreted the Sithi runes actually being worked into the metal/witchwood, so this is my interpretation using Japanese characters as a base.

As far as time, yes it's time consuming, but worth it. The talent part is there for all, I think, we just tend to tell ourselves differently. Get yourself a Dremel and a good piece of wood and you'd probably surprise yourself.

Sorrow is next I think. Thank you again for the kind words.

#4 2015-09-03 22:41:36

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Awesome, Sojourn!

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#5 2015-09-03 22:55:55

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

When the Norns give you Sorrow (possibly as some kind of blood rite on Thisterborg), please post pics, Sojourn!

(I mean, admittedly, we'll likely go mad just from looking at it, but I'll risk it anyway).

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#6 2015-09-04 00:21:29

Sahi
Mantis
Website

That looks awesome!

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#7 2015-09-04 04:52:19

Merenwen
Pilgrim

It is beautiful! I can't wait to see Sorrow.

Btw, I never posted this because it has been some years since you drew it, but I also like your picture of Ineluki which you posted here in 2009. :)

Last edited by Merenwen (2015-09-04 04:53:24)

#8 2015-09-04 08:33:35

Sojourn
Pilgrim

Firsfron wrote:

When the Norns give you Sorrow (possibly as some kind of blood rite on Thisterborg), please post pics, Sojourn!

Yeah, I'm a little nervous about that part. Maybe an intermediary for the actual exchange, or some bodyguards. As long as Pryrates isn't with them, I'm good.

Merenwen, thank you for the kind words regarding the Ineluki picture as well. That was a long time go. I know it's still floating around the board.

I'm definitely taking suggestions for style on design of Sorrow. The books leave some confusing images in terms of a double hilt in the form of a five pointed star. Any Suggestions? Also, my interpretation of Sithi is part Native American, part Japanese, and part Sumerian. So design wise my weapons start to look a little interesting. Flushing them into reality can be a confusion of styles for sure. Also, since Firsfron brought it up, do you think the Sithi runes are carved or painted on Sorrow. I'm still going with carved, but I need to go back and reference more. 

Again, thanks to everyone for the support and kindness. I'll post as I progress for sure.

Couple other projects I'm thinking about as well are the witness mirror given to Simon by Jiriki and the actual witchwood crown. Tad planted so many cool seed ideas it's hard to choose. We'll see how it goes.

#9 2015-09-04 09:22:13

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Sojourn wrote:

Firsfron wrote:

Yeah, I'm a little nervous about that part. Maybe an intermediary for the actual exchange, or some bodyguards. As long as Pryrates isn't with them, I'm good.

Bwahah! Indeed!

Merenwen, thank you for the kind words regarding the Ineluki picture as well. That was a long time go. I know it's still floating around the board.

Wait... where is this? I must see, now!

I'm definitely taking suggestions for style on design of Sorrow. The books leave some confusing images in terms of a double hilt in the form of a five pointed star. Any Suggestions?

My vision has been deeply influenced by Whelan's cover art depicting it on the side of the US hardcover edition of DBC. (If you don't have it, you can see the cover here). There have been other depictions as well, but since that's the first one I ever saw, it's the one that has stuck in my head. And to me, it remains the best. But whatever you do (or get from the Norns), I want to see it anyway! And maybe it will give you some ideas to bounce off of.

Also, my interpretation of Sithi is part Native American, part Japanese, and part Sumerian. So design wise my weapons start to look a little interesting. Flushing them into reality can be a confusion of styles for sure. Also, since Firsfron brought it up, do you think the Sithi runes are carved or painted on Sorrow. I'm still going with carved, but I need to go back and reference more.

I think they are carved, for sure.

Couple other projects I'm thinking about as well are the witness mirror given to Simon by Jiriki and the actual witchwood crown. Tad planted so many cool seed ideas it's hard to choose. We'll see how it goes.

More cool stuff?! *grins*

#10 2015-09-04 09:44:03

Sojourn
Pilgrim

Here's the link to the Ineluki picture.

http://naesmch.deviantart.com/art/Inelu … -139670427

Also, I do like Whelan's as well. There's only a few elements I'm not a fan of, but otherwise, like you say, it's the first one we all looked at and drew inspiration from. As you can see in the above drawing, I didn't stray too much from the fundamental design elements, so I'll play with both. Like I said though, anyone who has some sketches or ideas, throw them my way if you are so inclined.

And the carving stays. Thanks, Firsfron.

#11 2015-09-04 10:29:41

Sojourn
Pilgrim

New link for Ineluki picture. Wanted to keep everything together, and the DeviantArt account is closed and old anyway.

• Index
  •  » Art
  •  » Indreju, the sword of Jiriki

Board footer