Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-12-05 15:53:39

Wit_the_1st
Pilgrim

New paper by Nature Communication

Hi,

I'm re-reading Otherland now (thanks Tad btw) and by coincidence I saw this report on the Khoisan that was on the Daily Mail site (sorry for linking to the paper, I was looking for a sport report, the papers a rag).

The DM lifted the story from a study done by Nature Communications.

For anyone interested the links are below.   The population numbers are beyond a concern now from the looks of it :(

http://www.nature.com/ncomms/2014/14120 … s6692.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ … earth.html

Last edited by Wit_the_1st (2014-12-05 15:56:36)

#2 2014-12-06 23:14:25

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Re: New paper by Nature Communication

Only 100,000 left. Seems low, but not irredeemably low.

Also: Did Tad send you replacement copies? How cool!

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#3 2014-12-07 15:20:13

Wit_the_1st
Pilgrim

Yes hopefully the Namibian and SA governments can protect their lands and way of life more.

Aye, very grateful Tad and Deb took the time, especially with all they have had on at the moment!  The originals will always be missed but they fill the void left :)

#4 2014-12-07 20:45:34

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

So cool of them!

I know what you mean about still missing the originals, even though you have replacements. I feel the same way about my lost SOF, with Tad's signature (and "To the Duke of Ronchester").

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#5 2015-01-30 17:25:56

geoffw35
Pilgrim

Thanks for the information about the Khoisan. Very sad.

I too cherish my originals, though only The City of Golden Shadow is signed.

I've read these books through at least 3 times now. It is one of those stories I've fallen in love with. I'm now listening to the audible versions and I'm anxiously awaiting the third which is coming March 17th. I find the world Tad created to be very believable, and much of this will be in our future in some form (though I may not be around to see it). There are those who believe in brain uploading (I'm a fan of Ray Kurzweil). I don't know whether I completely accept that an uploaded mind state can actually become conscious, but I sure would love to live in a time where it was. Maybe if Kurzweil's life extension predictions come to fruition...:-)

Geoff

#6 2015-01-31 16:16:10

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

geoffw35 wrote:

I've read these books through at least 3 times now. It is one of those stories I've fallen in love with.

It is such a great story.

I find the world Tad created to be very believable, and much of this will be in our future in some form (though I may not be around to see it). There are those who believe in brain uploading (I'm a fan of Ray Kurzweil). I don't know whether I completely accept that an uploaded mind state can actually become conscious, but I sure would love to live in a time where it was. Maybe if Kurzweil's life extension predictions come to fruition...:-)

It's sort of a freaky idea, and it makes you wonder where the edge of reality comes in contact with  "virtuality". Is an uploaded mind real? If not, what would make it real, if it had the ability to reason? If so, what's to stop virtual consciousnesses from being downloaded and duplicated repeatedly? And wouldn't that create "alternate realities" as each consciousness began to have different interactions?

Geoff, have you read The Happiest Dead Boy in the World, Tad's Otherland short story?

#7 2015-01-31 19:31:32

geoffw35
Pilgrim

Firsfron of Ronchester wrote:

It's sort of a freaky idea, and it makes you wonder where the edge of reality comes in contact with  "virtuality". Is an uploaded mind real? If not, what would make it real, if it had the ability to reason? If so, what's to stop virtual consciousnesses from being downloaded and duplicated repeatedly? And wouldn't that create "alternate realities" as each consciousness began to have different interactions?

It sure is a strange idea. If there will be such a thing as an Artificial General Intelligence, something I feel is possible and I would love to see become a reality, then that would be a start. Next, however, you have to find some way to upload memories that correspond to human ones and that an AGI could access, use and manipulate. I'm more skeptical about that uploading, but who knows? I hope those who are actively working on making safe AGI succeed (emphasis on the safe). The apprehension of those like Hawking and Elon Musk is not unwarranted.

Geoff, have you read The Happiest Dead Boy in the World, Tad's Otherland short story?

I have and I liked it. There is another thread where I mentioned that and mentioned how pleased i was that Tad said he would like to write an Orlando story.  The thread is called "Question, comment for Tad". I haven't read much of Tad's short fiction, but this and Burning Man were very enjoyable. I found The Boy Detective of Oz to be not quite in the same league, but I enjoy anything set in the Otherland world.

BTW, you mentioned Boy in Darkness, and this book of stories is in my library, so I've put a hold on it. It looked from reviews as if the title story was written by the master, so I'm eager to read it. People have mentioned the dark style of Peake's writing, which some like and some don't, but they don't seem to ever mention the humor. As I listen to Titus Groan on my long walks, I'm finding some wonderful humor in this work. It isn't necessarily the ideas or what is happening, but rather the way he uses language to describe an event that makes it so delightfully funny.

Geoff

Board footer