Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-11-11 12:31:47

Olaf
Mantis
Website

Bobby Dollar Christmas Novella

http://www.amazon.de/gp/aw/d/B00PAYYC64 … amp;sr=1-2

God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlepig: A Bobby Dollar Novella

Scrollbearer

Writing books, especially long books, is a careful balance between laziness and masochism.
Tad Williams

#2 2014-11-17 11:30:59

erutanlive
Pilgrim

Re: Bobby Dollar Christmas Novella

And I'm the villian. T_T

Übelhardt.

#3 2014-11-17 13:55:26

ylvs
Mantis

Welcome back erutanlive! I don't think I remember you from when you posted back then but I know how you look like. That is a first. Seeing a pic of a Smarcher before reading a post.

I of course refer to the Smarchmoot pics and I talked to cyan and Magpie yesterday.

To meet an old friend is like the finding of a welcoming campfire in the dark. Qanuc saying
Scrollbearer
Titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Arsonist of the probably most spectacular Mint burning ever

#4 2014-11-22 16:05:29

Olaf
Mantis
Website

Just finished the story. Who else but Tad can write a Christmas story about a mad nazi scientist who is over a hundred years old, looks like Santa Clause and makes Mengele look like an amateur?
And yes, it is a cheerful story with werewolves,  werehogs and the Christmas spirit!

Scrollbearer

Writing books, especially long books, is a careful balance between laziness and masochism.
Tad Williams

#5 2014-11-22 17:48:24

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Pretty bloody... cheerful.
I'm not much of a Christmas guy, but I prefer a tree and good food to Bobby's style of celebration.

May the birds who shelter in your branches never poop on the innocent. -Tad

#6 2014-11-23 01:10:54

Olaf
Mantis
Website

There IS a tree in the story:-)

Scrollbearer

Tad Williams

#7 2014-11-23 02:37:37

Olaf
Mantis
Website

My Amazon.com review:

After starring in three novels (most recently "Sleeping Late on Judgement Day") our favorite angel Doloriel aka Bobby Dollar returns for an encore performance for the holidays. This novella takes place after the original triad of novels and can be read independently without getting spoiled for the books, but I think it is best enjoyed if one is familiar with the characters and concepts of that particular fictional universe. If you have yet to meet Bobby D. start with "The Dirty Streets of Heaven".

This is not a traditional sappy Christmas story, but rather something else. Bobby Dollar has to investigate (for the sake of a recently deceased soul) a former Nazi mad scientist who is accused of making human experiments with werewolf genes. Bobby enlists the help of his were-friend Fatback aka George Noceda and starts investigating. And then the s*** hits the Christmas fan:-)
Enjoy and I really hope Tad Williams makes this into an annual holiday tradition!

Scrollbearer

Tad Williams

#8 2014-11-23 06:44:16

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Is there any scene that suggests it is after the main novels? I do assume so as well, but can't remember any hard evidence.

#9 2014-11-23 07:15:54

Olaf
Mantis
Website

Just one sentence where Bobby states that he has actually been to hell and know what its like there.

Scrollbearer

Tad Williams

#10 2014-11-23 07:18:03

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Olaf wrote:

Just one sentence where Bobby states that he has actually been to hell and know what its like there.

Ah, Indeed! This is conclusive proof, of course and I do remember that line. Silly me.
Thanks for noticing (and remembering) :)

#11 2014-11-23 07:22:26

Olaf
Mantis
Website

Until that line I thought the story might be a prequel, but was then disproved. But still I think this story is not the best place to start with Bobby D. It stands alone, but I think prior knowledge of the concepts and characters helps appreciating it more.

Scrollbearer

Tad Williams

#12 2014-11-23 07:25:12

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Olaf wrote:

Until that line I thought the story might be a prequel, but was then disproved. But still I think this story is not the best place to start with Bobby D. It stands alone, but I think prior knowledge of the concepts and characters helps appreciating it more.

Definitely. Tad doesn't have that much time to set up the characters in the short story and George and Bobby himself are pretty central.

#13 2014-11-23 07:31:36

Olaf
Mantis
Website

Peter wrote:

Olaf wrote:

Definitely. Tad doesn't have that much time to set up the characters in the short story and George and Bobby himself are pretty central.

I really hope he writes more of those shorts. And there are some very minor issues with the German expressions he used, but that can be easily fixed.

Scrollbearer

Tad Williams

#14 2014-11-23 13:40:38

ylvs
Mantis

Oh, are there again? Why didn't he ask his experts? Tsk.

To meet an old friend is like the finding of a welcoming campfire in the dark. Qanuc saying
Scrollbearer

#15 2014-11-23 13:41:30

ylvs
Mantis

Now I berate myself even more for not getting around to read it yet.
Tomorrow.

Scrollbearer

#16 2014-11-23 13:58:21

Olaf
Mantis
Website

ylvs wrote:

Oh, are there again? Why didn't he ask his experts? Tsk.

I have two minor quibbles. The Umlaute are missing in one case. In other cases they are there. And the main villain exclaims "Scheiss" rather than " Scheisse" at one point.

Scrollbearer

Tad Williams

#17 2014-11-23 19:41:17

redNathalie
Pilgrim

Does it say something about me that reading this story really started to get me in the holiday spirit? It really did. ^_^

Author of the 888,888th Post

Oven though we're far apart, I'm still a huge fan! ~Firsfron
There was also a toast commercial that made me tear up.... ~Libra

#18 2014-12-26 15:42:21

laDuchesse
Pilgrim

US-Smarchers: it's for free at the moment and soon will be not available anymore (according to Deb on twitter). So get ut now: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00PAYYC6 … Nub04G3R7D

I think Smarch might have a higher-than-average percentage of introverts.  It's probably what makes us so awesome. Magpie

#19 2014-12-28 00:42:57

ylvs
Mantis

If you want an e-pub instead of whatever format the kindle has: send Deb an email TODAY at deborah.shazam@batnet.com (direct link on the bottom of the main page).
It's an this weekend only offer so write her asap.

Scrollbearer

#20 2014-12-28 15:00:05

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

I'm considering getting a kindle when I'm in the UK...

Wouldn't the plural form of Olaf be Olaves? ;) - Firsfron of Ronchester

#21 2014-12-29 14:41:30

Sahi
Mantis
Website

I just downloaded it today. (With the kindle app I downloaded for Marian's story.)

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

Board footer