Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-08-20 10:59:06

Olaf
Mantis
Website

Sleeping Late Reviews & Reactions

http://thebookplank.blogspot.de/2014/08 … ement.html

First review is in (courtesy of Deborah on Twitter).

Scrollbearer

Writing books, especially long books, is a careful balance between laziness and masochism.
Tad Williams

#2 2014-09-14 07:32:55

laDuchesse
Pilgrim

Re: Sleeping Late Reviews & Reactions

http://bestinfantasy.blogspot.de/2014/0 … d.html?m=1

Also courtesy of Deb on twitter.

Only two after a week, I wonder why there are not more, yet,

Such a great book (yes I know I have not pasted a review neither, shame on me).

I think Smarch might have a higher-than-average percentage of introverts.  It's probably what makes us so awesome. Magpie

#3 2014-09-14 13:04:29

Olaf
Mantis
Website

There are probably more, but what with my ultra slow internet I did not really bother looking for them. Just takes too long.

However, we did not do any kind of Army prepub activity, so that might be one reason why there are not sooo many reviews. Also it is book three in a series, and many blogs are only looking for the "next big thing" rather than following an ongoing series.

My own review is also woefully late, but will come in due time. Might be awhile though.

Scrollbearer

Writing books, especially long books, is a careful balance between laziness and masochism.
Tad Williams

#4 2014-09-14 13:11:37

Magpie
Mantis
Website

I keep trying to write my review, but I never get very far...

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#5 2014-09-15 11:43:11

Olaf
Mantis
Website

Scrollbearer

Tad Williams

#6 2014-09-15 12:10:16

Olaf
Mantis
Website

another interview

http://thebookplank.blogspot.de/2014/09 … liams.html

from Tad´s UK publisher

http://www.hodderscape.co.uk/dante-or-dollar/

not much of a review, but posted widely (by Harriet Klausner)

https://harrietkreview.wordpress.com/20 … -williams/

Scrollbearer

Tad Williams

#7 2014-09-16 06:11:23

ylvs
Mantis

The Dante or Dollar piece is great! But that Klausner woman? Stupid as a cake. I bet she has again not read the book. It#s all about the feather. Sure.

To meet an old friend is like the finding of a welcoming campfire in the dark. Qanuc saying
Scrollbearer
Titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Arsonist of the probably most spectacular Mint burning ever

#8 2014-09-16 11:07:49

Olaf
Mantis
Website

She is pretty notorious.  Have not seen reviews by her for a while,  so I thought she had stopped her game, but she seems to be at it again.

Scrollbearer

Tad Williams

#9 2014-09-26 16:36:21

Olaf
Mantis
Website

Short shoutout from Kirkus Reviews:

Sleeping Late On Judgement Day by Tad Williams

WHAT IT'S ABOUT: Bobby Dollar, a renegade angel who failed to rescue his demon girlfriend from Hell, returns to the menial task of being an angel advocate. When another angel, an old friend, shows up with selective amnesia about Bobby's superiors, it soon becomes apparent that there is corruption even in Heaven's hallowed halls. Its latest victim? Bobby, who's on trial for his immortal soul.

WHY YOU SHOULD READ IT: Williams' brand of urban fantasy is engrossing and fun to read.

https://www.kirkusreviews.com/features/ … september/

Scrollbearer

Tad Williams

#10 2015-08-31 07:02:30

elfenthanz
Pilgrim

Gmaen, dears, I need your help.

With: Is this http://www.amazon.de/Williams-SLEEPING- … eping+late

the first edition? (anyone a cool tip where to buy it?) I still only have it as data and it's high time I bought it.

and am I right in thinking that this http://www.amazon.de/Sleeping-Late-On-J … 075640889X is not? (slightly wrong dimensions) (also, much cheaper)

how tf do I know? If I spend fourty bloody bucks, and it doesn't go with the others and was made some random time after some random number of months in some random thin paper and random crappy ink, you know, I'm gonna ... tell you not here but in the Mint, that's all I'm sayin.

Man, I should have gotten it the moment it came bloody out, I'm so annoyed. I really didn't think it would get more expensive that quickly; weren't they like 25 bucks? Euro, I mean? *sigh* and the slight gnawing fear in the back not to get it at all is just a tiny bit horrible.

Ah well.

Help with the edition pls?

Both snow and the flower itself were unlikely to have been found in the Holy Land in those days, but that has never hurt the story's popularity.  Prologue

#11 2015-08-31 07:55:54

ylvs
Mantis

Lily, sweetling, hello.

It will not go with the others anyway as DAW changed design midseries.
*shakes fist at stupid publishers*

How about this one?
US hardcover 25€. If it does not have to be 1st edition this should be fine.

To meet an old friend is like the finding of a welcoming campfire in the dark. Qanuc saying
Scrollbearer

#12 2015-08-31 08:07:40

Olaf
Mantis
Website

Hey Lily,

they´re actually the same edition!

The more expensive edition you linked is from private sellers rather than Amazon directly. If you want to make sure you got the tight edition check the ISBN.

The original Daw hardover from September 2014 has the ISBN 9780756408893.

Which takes you to this http://www.amazon.de/Sleeping-Late-On-J … 075640889X

However, as Ylvs already pointed out, Daw changed the cover style after HAPPY HOUR was published in hardcover and did new artwork for DIRTY STREETS pb, Happy Hour pb and SLEEPING LATE hc and pb (which is just now being published).

The rest of the hc will match however. Print quality etc.

Hope this helps.

Scrollbearer

Tad Williams

#13 2015-08-31 09:07:30

elfenthanz
Pilgrim

ylvs wrote:

Lily, sweetling, hello.

It will not go with the others anyway as DAW changed design midseries.
*shakes fist at stupid publishers*

How about this one?
US hardcover 25€. If it does not have to be 1st edition this should be fine.

Nah, honey, :D c'mon, it really does have to be first edition.

also: I miss you.

Both snow and the flower itself were unlikely to have been found in the Holy Land in those days, but that has never hurt the story's popularity.  Prologue

#14 2015-08-31 09:15:31

elfenthanz
Pilgrim

Why! WHY would they do that, omg! (nah, don't need an answer) Well, that's fine, the point is not that they look the same, but be their own original selves. Thanks for the ISBN, Olaf, I didn't even know if a work gets its ISBN, or every edition. Makes sense, of course. The other would've too, though.
You know me, confusion is an anxious Hamsterrad.

So, thanks, dears.

Btw you I miss, too, Olaf. I actually really truly do.

- I got that right, or no? every edition has it's own ISBN?

#15 2015-08-31 09:23:22

ylvs
Mantis

If you had checked you would have found that the one I linked indeed is a 1st edition. ISBN matches.
I just did not know before because it does not say so on the site.

Now hurry and get it!

Scrollbearer

#16 2015-08-31 09:54:56

Olaf
Mantis
Website

elfenthanz wrote:

Why! WHY would they do that, omg! (nah, don't need an answer) Well, that's fine, the point is not that they look the same, but be their own original selves. Thanks for the ISBN, Olaf, I didn't even know if a work gets its ISBN, or every edition. Makes sense, of course. The other would've too, though.
You know me, confusion is an anxious Hamsterrad.

So, thanks, dears.

Btw you I miss, too, Olaf. I actually really truly do.

- I got that right, or no? every edition has it's own ISBN?

Every new edition gets a new ISBN. So, the paperback of SLOJD has a different ISBN from the pb, and the ebook has yet again a different (e)ISBN.

Reprints of the SAME edition, however, do not get a new ISBN. I don´t know if DAW ever did a second printing of SLOJD. Somehow, I doubt that. So I think Lily would get a 1st ed. no matter where she bought the hardcover.

Abebooks.de is also usually good for bargain books and rare editions as well.
http://www.abebooks.de/servlet/SearchRe … &sts=t

Only a few days ago, I was looking at our Stuttgart 2014 pics.-)
I hope to see you soon at a another Smarchmoot!!!

Scrollbearer

Tad Williams

#17 2015-08-31 10:00:53

ylvs
Mantis

Olaf, you know what? Whatever you do, whereever you work - you'll always be our librarian.

And loads of good luck for tomorrow!

Scrollbearer

#18 2015-08-31 10:14:26

Olaf
Mantis
Website

Scrollbearer

Tad Williams

#19 2017-07-07 11:15:13

Corum
Pilgrim

While on a long car trip recently, my wife and I listed to Sleeping Late on Judgement Day.  I have to say, I enjoyed listening.   I don't listen to a lot of audiobooks, I'm mostly a reader, but it kept me engaged and awake the whole 20 hours of driving.

Board footer