Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-06-19 01:42:53

aphis
Pilgrim

war of the flowers as kindle-book

"War of the flowers" is available at kindle-book-store.
In contrary to the list of ebooks on the tadwilliams.com (this)-site.

I would like to have the german translation of otherland as ebook. It's a pity that there a licence-problems as Klett-Cotta told me.

As a told on other places: technical books about IT-stuff like Windows 8.1 or PowerShell or encrypted eMail you can buy as hardcopy and inside you find a website-address including a code where you can download the (i think drm-encoded) content in epub or pdf-format.

i ihope anytime in future the publishing houses will turn to this kind of selling hardcopies.

Cato, the old senator in old rome, finished every meeting of the senat with the sentence: i want to remember, that carthago has to be deleted (cetero censeo carthaginem esse delendam).

I close with the reminder: i want to remember, that the german transation of "otherland" still is waiting to be available as ebook.

Remember: mind is free.

Welcome stranger. The paths are treacherous today.

#2 2014-06-19 03:00:50

Olaf
Mantis
Website

Re: war of the flowers as kindle-book

"War of the Flowers" has only become available recently, so maybe there was no time yet to update the listing.

Some of Tad´s foreign rights are handled by DAW Books rather than by Tad´s own foreign agent. That might explain the hold-up. Things get especially difficult, if e-rights have to be negotioated for older books that pre-date e-books and where it has to be decided who actually own the e-rights, publisher or author.
For newer books, these e-right are usually now negotiated right away and these are unproblematic.

Book/e-book bundles have just been made much more complicated by German laws, because two different sales taxes have to be added to e-book bundles now: 7% for the hardcopy content and 19% for the e-book content. This will deter publishers from doing more bundles, I believe!

Scrollbearer

Writing books, especially long books, is a careful balance between laziness and masochism.
Tad Williams

#3 2014-06-19 05:55:24

aphis
Pilgrim

Olaf wrote:

"War of the Flowers" has only become available recently, so maybe there was no time yet to update the listing.

Some of Tad´s foreign rights are handled by DAW Books rather than by Tad´s own foreign agent. That might explain the hold-up. Things get especially difficult, if e-rights have to be negotioated for older books that pre-date e-books and where it has to be decided who actually own the e-rights, publisher or author.
For newer books, these e-right are usually now negotiated right away and these are unproblematic.

Book/e-book bundles have just been made much more complicated by German laws, because two different sales taxes have to be added to e-book bundles now: 7% for the hardcopy content and 19% for the e-book content. This will deter publishers from doing more bundles, I believe!

Thank you very much for this detailled information.
I think, this means to me as a german citizen (yet however living and working in switzerland since 1984) that i have to look to a group of people looking for a better tax-law for e-books.

I think, the problem with the the hold-up of publishing eBooks for older works like MST or OL is, that this books will be found in the internet als illegal free-available copies. I found a illegal copy of the english original of otherland (all 4 volumes) in the internet looking for the broken-threads-quote. The situation is not so bad as in the area of music. But the longer the more a hold-up of publishing will be, the more illegal copies of such hesitated titles / books will be found.

I only scan parts of the otherland-books because some quotes i want to be available for emails i am sending to friends and who are asking me about tads. Every quote is closed with the full impressum / editorial of the book so it is clear who has the copyright for this quote.

aphis

Welcome stranger. The paths are treacherous today.

#4 2014-06-19 07:16:20

Olaf
Mantis
Website

There is a new initiativ the change the legislature so that e-books and audiobooks would have the same reduced sales tax (7%) as regular print books. But this may take a while since it not only touches national law, but also European laws which always makes things complicated and difficult to change.

Scrollbearer

Writing books, especially long books, is a careful balance between laziness and masochism.
Tad Williams

Board footer