Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#51 2014-04-04 13:30:42

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Re: The Last King of Osten Ard

blue tailor wrote:

ylvs wrote:

I'm still as excited as I was in July when Dog told Magpie, Olaf and humble self ...

Tad told Magpie, Olaf and Ylvs last year at the reading in Stuttgart, and gave Ylvs permission to tell me and Firsfron.  Then Tad told Libra and Sahi when we were at the World Fantasy Convention in Brighton last November.  We were all sworn to secrecy.

It was probably the hardest-to-keep secret I have ever kept, but it also made me feel so, so honoured to be trusted like that. Still does, actually.

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#52 2014-04-04 13:33:54

blue tailor
Pilgrim

Magpie wrote:

blue tailor wrote:

ylvs wrote:

I'm still as excited as I was in July when Dog told Magpie, Olaf and humble self ...

Tad told Magpie, Olaf and Ylvs last year at the reading in Stuttgart, and gave Ylvs permission to tell me and Firsfron.  Then Tad told Libra and Sahi when we were at the World Fantasy Convention in Brighton last November.  We were all sworn to secrecy.

It was probably the hardest-to-keep secret I have ever kept, but it also made me feel so, so honoured to be trusted like that. Still does, actually.

I was SO relieved that Tad told Libra and Sahi.  Otherwise, that would have been an awful long time hanging out together at the con and having to watch ourselves.

Scrollbearer

"I have a knife." - Avi Stetto

#53 2014-04-04 13:35:23

ylvs
Mantis

Tad wrote:

You guys did an excellent job of secret-keeping.  Kudos.

Actually, I would have liked to keep it a bit longer, until I was substantially into the first book (instead of a few chapters in, which I am) but I'm pleased my publishers considered it newsworthy enough that they were in a hurry to announce it.

The ink of your signature on the contract must hardly have been dry when they announced.

To meet an old friend is like the finding of a welcoming campfire in the dark. Qanuc saying
Scrollbearer
Titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Arsonist of the probably most spectacular Mint burning ever

#54 2014-04-04 13:38:46

Magpie
Mantis
Website

blue tailor wrote:

Magpie wrote:

blue tailor wrote:

I was SO relieved that Tad told Libra and Sahi.  Otherwise, that would have been an awful long time hanging out together at the con and having to watch ourselves.

And it brought us to the perfect number of seven.

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough

#55 2014-04-04 14:27:43

ylvs
Mantis

KALU!!!

*wavies*

Now you know what I could not tell you in November!

To meet an old friend is like the finding of a welcoming campfire in the dark. Qanuc saying
Scrollbearer

#56 2014-04-04 16:01:59

Olaf
Mantis
Website

ylvs wrote:

And we were true to it.

Persisted all temptations.

Wasn't easy ...

Something silly that came to me today on the train:-)

Scrollbearers

We are the Seven
who knew

We are the Seven
who stayed true

We are
Ylvs, the mother
Magpie, the gardener
Libra, the keeper
Cyan, the blue
Firsfron, the teacher
Olaf, the collector
and
Sahi, our Lady Porcupine

We kept his secret
But now we can tell

We are the League of the Scroll

Scrollbearer

Writing books, especially long books, is a careful balance between laziness and masochism.
Tad Williams

#57 2014-04-04 16:07:00

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Love it!!!!! bravo, Olaf!

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#58 2014-04-04 16:07:57

Magpie
Mantis
Website

*claps*

- Tad

#59 2014-04-04 18:37:13

snwillson
Pilgrim

Hi!
After I got over my initial glee, my next thought was: but when can we expect this?
And thank you!  This is one of my very very favourite series.
I think I'll go reread MS&T to calm myself down.  Though I have to use my kindle copies as I read out the glue from my originals.  I still remember the day when I saw To Green Angel Tower in a bookstore on it's initial release.  I bought it; it was $34 which was a huge sum of money for me at the time, I was a university student.
Luckily I can now afford books.

Last edited by snwillson (2014-04-04 18:39:52)

#60 2014-04-04 19:32:27

cyan
Mantis

snwillson wrote:

I still remember the day when I saw To Green Angel Tower in a bookstore on it's initial release.  I bought it; it was $34 which was a huge sum of money for me at the time, I was a university student.

I did the same, and was a poor student at the time as well.  But if you look at it from a $-per-word perspective, it was a steal.

"Never underestimate the power and accuracy of a chicken-chucking trebuchet." ~ Tad

Scrollbearer
Proud Member of the Log Brigade

#61 2014-04-04 20:23:19

cyan
Mantis

Olaf wrote:

Something silly that came to me today on the train:-)

Scrollbearers

We are the Seven
who knew

We are the Seven
who stayed true

We are
Ylvs, the mother
Magpie, the gardener
Libra, the keeper
Cyan, the blue
Firsfron, the teacher
Olaf, the collector
and
Sahi, our Lady Porcupine

We kept his secret
But now we can tell

We are the League of the Scroll

This = awesome

"Never underestimate the power and accuracy of a chicken-chucking trebuchet." ~ Tad

Scrollbearer
Proud Member of the Log Brigade

#62 2014-04-04 20:27:16

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

I'll start of with: oh my goodness *squeeeeeeeeeeeee*

Like most everyone else has posted, these books helped define me and meant a lot to me. They were my first REAL introduction to fantasy, and my very first epic fantasy. They were the books that made me want to try my hand at writing (something longer than my 1 page ghost stories or 1 page princess stories that I had done prior :P) They were the books that had me thinking about fan-fiction before I knew what fan-fic even WAS (this was in my pre-internet days, legit!!) Heck, these are the books that gave me one of my first usernames! That I still use!

I'll admit, I've been kind of a slacker and I've only read them through once. And my only excuse for not reading them semi-recently (after my quitting grad school debacle and having oodles more free time..) is that I haven't bought them. And my only excuse for THAT has been money. But now... now that there's MORE on the way... This is about to be the shortest trip I've ever taken to a bookstore. In, grab books, out. No stopping. No detours.

Tad: Good luck. And no pressure :)

If you should do what makes you happy, and no one can tell you what makes you happy, then that means no one can tell you what to do!

Tamishu's Ramblings

#63 2014-04-05 01:43:54

Tad
Hierarch
Website

Awesome poem, Olaf.

By the way, now that the cat has hit the fan, or whatever, I was thinking that it may be time to open up another incarnation of the Mint (meaning the original Shadowmarch version, a fantasy tavern) in Osten Ard.  I mean, I get to do at least one fan-service thing in a long lifetime of fierce integrity, right?  Stop laughing.

Anyway, I am leaning toward one of two names for a tavern in Erchester that will make an appearance probably late in the first volume -- The Queerly Maid or The Quiet Maid.  (As you can tell by the name, there is a complex cross-dimensional connection to the Quiller's Mint, aka the Queen's Lament (which was the tavern's first name before it burned, an event described in the story, "The Terrible Conflagration at the Quiller's Mint".  Oh, and it refers to the queen who was actually a fairy but could never return to the Shadowlands.)

Anyway, just thought I'd mention it.  It won't have to affect anything here, but I thought it would be nice for the various Scrollbearers, Mantidae, and other Longtime Friends Of Tad like to share a little conceptual real estate in Osten Ard.

"I'll let you be in my dreams if I can be in yours."

-- Dylan

#64 2014-04-05 02:13:39

ylvs
Mantis

Dog!

You rule!

You rock!

*is speechless*

Scrollbearer

#65 2014-04-05 02:14:40

ylvs
Mantis

And I'm not laughing. There is a warm fuzzy thing in my belly.

Scrollbearer

#66 2014-04-05 02:47:31

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Definitely not laughing. Grinning happily, yes.

- Tad

#67 2014-04-05 02:49:35

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

ylvs wrote:

And I'm not laughing. There is a warm fuzzy thing in my belly.

I hope you did not accidentally swallow a furry pet!

Tad, that's a great way to tip your hat to your loyal fans, very nice.

Wouldn't the plural form of Olaf be Olaves? ;) - Firsfron of Ronchester

#68 2014-04-05 02:56:41

Olaf
Mantis
Website

*is rather speechless*

Scrollbearer

Writing books, especially long books, is a careful balance between laziness and masochism.
Tad Williams

#69 2014-04-05 07:27:18

Drone
Pilgrim

Firsfron of Ronchester wrote:

Drone wrote:

My my my.
As posted on FB, happy happy happy.
Hoped it, wished it, all these years without saying it loud.
Cheers.

Welcome, Drone! :)

(I know you registered in 2012, but this is your first post, so welcome anyway!)

Hey, thank you.
It´s just that I did not really got the time to introduce myself, usually lurking around between 12 and 3 am. I do work way too much, and being a dad for two kids and two pets is so time consuming as you sure know.
But I see thee from far away. ;)
Cheers. DR

војвода од Дрине

#70 2014-04-05 08:13:54

ylvs
Mantis

Now you've come out of lurkdom you might very well stay anyway, Drone!

Welcome, very much welcome.

Have a cake.

*hands Drone a cake frosted with nachos*

Our special.

Scrollbearer

#71 2014-04-05 08:17:57

Drone
Pilgrim

Hmm, thanks.
Then in return, as befits a true child of winter, I would offer you a glass of my frosted prune liquor from Xmas 2012. Cheers. DR

војвода од Дрине

#72 2014-04-05 08:53:30

ylvs
Mantis

*clinks glasses*

Cheers Drone!

In other news: I just found an interestin thought over at westeros.org. Too bad one has to wade through so much bile there ...

Based on the apocalyptic title, I'm wondering if this series will concern the Unbeing which destroyed the Garden. When you also consider the western land that the people of Rimmersgard fled and lost Khandia, it seems like horrible things happen to continents in this world quite often.

Scrollbearer

#73 2014-04-05 09:57:40

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

The third title is pregnant with all kinds of possibilities, including a new exodus. But it's a bit early to speculate how it will end I suppose :)

Wouldn't the plural form of Olaf be Olaves? ;) - Firsfron of Ronchester

#74 2014-04-05 09:58:56

Olaf
Mantis
Website

Tad`s only a few chapters in and speculation is already running rampant:-)

This is gonna be so, so much fun.

Scrollbearer

Tad Williams

#75 2014-04-05 10:04:02

redNathalie
Pilgrim

Whoa, that sounds super-awesome, Tad. *cannot wait to hang out in Erchester*

Author of the 888,888th Post

Oven though we're far apart, I'm still a huge fan! ~Firsfron
There was also a toast commercial that made me tear up.... ~Libra

Board footer