Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#26 2004-08-29 02:33:00

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Re: The Wishing Well, Incarnation the Second

*puts an arm around Miiru*

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#27 2004-09-26 21:24:00

Miiru
Pilgrim
Website

Autumn has well and truly settled.

The circle of trees ringing the fountain and pool have been steadily shedding their leaves, a glorious fall of countless vibrant shades: crimson, scarlet, red; yellow, gold; browns of every hue. An offering to the encroaching year's-end, the leaves form a softly rustling carpet to herald and pave its coming, covering the lush grass that has surrounded the Wishing Well through spring and summer. As the day wanes, the sun dips and vanishes beyond the horizon, peeking between baring treebranches, and opposite, a pale, liquid moon rises, not quite full. The temperature drops. What might be rain but is in fact a gentle dew settles cold to the leaves and the fountain and dampens the hair of the solitary figure standing contemplative before it.

It's deeper than it appears at first glance. What seems at a distance to be a shallow marble fountain shifts somehow, when one stares into the water, into the stone-paved shaft of a well, wide and immeasurably deep. The hopeful coins tossed in by travellers send ripples chasing each other out to gently impact the stone rim, but it's unclear whether those coins, as they sink, ever find a bottom.

There is a salmon in the water, tonight. The figure stirs, removing one hand from the pocket of its shapeless, too-large coat, and tosses something into the water. There is a dart and a flash of moonlight along silver-rainbow scales, and the fish captures the offering- a chestnut- in its mouth, vanishing with a flick of its tail.

Wisdom offered, and perhaps a bit of wisdom gained, Miiru whispers to no one in particular, and meanders aimlessly off to explore the autumn darkness.

[ September 26, 2004: Message edited by: Miiru ]

Ted Kennedy in a speedo is just another sign of the coming apocalypse.
-wiked
"He who smelteth it delteth it O LORD."
-bandit

#28 2004-09-27 09:23:00

The Microphone
Pilgrim
Website

*flips coin into well*

*wish*

For a dollar you could find a girl of every possible design,
But you couldn't find a decent man, or a word spoken kind.

~Rum Brave, Murder By Death

Microphobe's Art Space || The Downwright's Arena

#29 2005-04-09 21:00:00

Miiru
Pilgrim
Website

I'm not having a good night.

I've been told there'll be some of those, in amongst the tolerable and the downright pleasant. I know it's temporary; I know I'll go to sleep sometime before the sun comes up tomorrow morning and life will, once again, be grand. I know this. In my head, somewhere, I know this, and that awareness is an anchor.

It's a well-needed one, because I am not having a good night.

I'm not used to being alone.

It's odd- being in my apartment, I don't notice it as much. That's my space; I've never shared it with anyone besides the dog and the cat. It's not important, I suppose, that there's no one there, because there isn't meant to be anyone there.

I'm dogsitting for the weekend, however, for my mum and dad while they attend a wedding anniversary party for distant relatives, and so I'm not in My Space tonight. And I feel the absence of other people keenly.

This is the first time in my adult life I have been without companionship. And while, by and large, it seems to suit me quite nicely, it's taking time to grow accustomed to it.

I'm lonely tonight. It's such a strange feeling.

I came here to make a wish.

I have no idea what to wish for.

-wiked
-bandit

#30 2005-04-09 22:53:00

dragondawn
Pilgrim

*materializes*

*sits companionably beside her sis*

*manifestation wavers, just a little*
('m out of practice)

My religion is to live and die without regret. ~ Milarepa

#31 2005-04-09 23:38:00

Miiru
Pilgrim
Website

I don't mind the wavering, really. :)

~curls up in her sis's lap~

I shouldn't miss him.

-wiked
-bandit

#32 2008-02-02 21:42:07

Hiragana
Pilgrim

*warms a coin, plops it into the well*

I wonder if wishing to stop procrastinating works when you're actually procrastinating by posting in this thread!

#33 2012-11-02 18:35:33

Miiru
Pilgrim
Website

Ooh. The poor well's been untended. I'm a bad custodian. :(

Time to clear away dead leaves from how many years' accumulation? Good grief, that many?

It's autumn, just past Halloween. Good time for raking leaves, then. And scooping them out of the fountain's basins, and unstopping the drain, and making sure the water's flowing the way it should.

Coins are still there, though- that's good. No sense disturbing people's wishes.

...it's nice to be here again, though. Old friends are good things to have, right now.

-wiked
-bandit

#34 2012-11-02 20:45:18

Sahi
Mantis
Website

*huggles Miiru* It's good to have you back!

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#35 2012-11-03 04:15:26

Magpie
Mantis
Website

*hugs* Great to see you back!

*helps with raking leaves* We can take those over to the Botanimaniac's Gardens, there are plenty of compost heaps there.

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#36 2012-11-03 14:09:54

Miiru
Pilgrim
Website

They've got wishing well water on them... they might make for strange variants in the plants, but I'm game. I brought bags for carrying them!

-wiked
-bandit

#37 2012-11-03 15:21:17

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Well, strange variants are a good thing. Maybe I'll get something interesting and sell-able. *ponders the logistics of selling virtual plants*

*starts bagging leaves*

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#38 2012-11-07 17:28:56

Miiru
Pilgrim
Website

I'll leave the droops in with the leaves.... maybe some of them will seed and grow trees for you. :)

-wiked
-bandit

#39 2014-04-04 18:11:23

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

*bumps this thread up for Miiru*

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

Board footer