Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

• Index
  •  » Art
  •  » Call for artwork from Smarchers

#1 2013-12-16 10:18:24

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Call for artwork from Smarchers

Hey all! This particular forum has dried up in terms of new Tad-centric artwork, with huge amounts of art being created in 2001-2002, and a half-dozen threads being created each year thereafter. However, this part of Tad-fandom slowly dried up over the last couple of years, and no one has even posted in this forum since June 2012 (over a year ago!), so I'm calling for new artwork!

Smarchers, share your stuff!

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#2 2013-12-17 06:53:25

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Re: Call for artwork from Smarchers

I'm planning on a work of art (roughly speaking, as I'm planning a costume), but it won't be ready before August next year, as it's only in the planning phase as of yet.

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#3 2013-12-17 09:02:37

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Ooh, when it's made, please post some pics! :)

*wonders what type of costume*

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#4 2013-12-17 09:34:18

Rook
Mantis
Website

Hey... you're an animator teacher, right, Ron?  You could make it one of your projects.

Fun fact: as my other online persona, El Santo, I was invited to do a video conference with a cartooning instructor in Maryland about the history of comics and webcomics.  I didn't show up in a luchador mask, but my online persona pretty has me dressed up as my namesake.

Anyway, as a way of greeting me into class, he had his students draw up luchadors doing various things.  Washing clothes.  Mowing the lawn.  Etc.

I think that you should be able to some how fit MS&T into your classroom regiment there, Ron. :)

“The past,” they say, “is now truly like a foreign country. They do things exactly the same there.” --- Douglas Adams

Rooktopia! (Personal)

#5 2013-12-17 09:44:32

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Cool idea, Rook!

But to understand what they're animating, they'd have to read MS&T, which would probably take weeks. Weeks which we spend drawing storyboards, writing scripts, recording voiceovers, creating animatics, and creating the actual animations.

But I suppose I could draw some MS&T-related stuff to put in the lectures. I'll have to think about what I'd like to do.

#6 2013-12-17 10:41:18

Rook
Mantis
Website

Brainstorm time!

OK, so the AV Club recently put a link to the Tumblr of veteran Disney animator Minkyu Lee (The Princess and the Frog, Wreck-It Ralph).  On it, he put together some concept images out of his portfolio.  Basically he developed a bunch of concept art for a theoretical Disney cartoon that doesn't exist: in this case, an animated movie based on Wicked done in a very recognizable Disney style.

http://www.avclub.com/article/check-out … art-106434

So here's my thought, based around the idea of developing concept art for a portfolio.

Work up a project where you assign students some concept art for characters and scenes for a theoretical MS&T animated series.  They don't need to read the book; you can describe the characters and scenes for them.  Maybe even mix it up with different styles (Disney house style, Hayao Miyazaki style, Charles Addams style maybe). Tell them that the results of their project are going to show up on the author's website.  I think it would be awesome and a fun time will be had by all. :)

“The past,” they say, “is now truly like a foreign country. They do things exactly the same there.” --- Douglas Adams

Rooktopia! (Personal)

#7 2013-12-17 10:47:25

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Firsfron of Ronchester wrote:

Ooh, when it's made, please post some pics! :)

*wonders what type of costume*

I know, but I won't say it if Sahi doesn't.

I love the idea, though (which I'm pretty sure I've told Sahi every time she talks about it.)

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#8 2013-12-17 12:05:40

ylvs
Mantis

rook is right, Firs. Just use a double lecture to tell them the main story. Leave out the onions. It will suffice -
and might trigger some new MST readers ...

#9 2013-12-17 12:12:01

Magpie
Mantis
Website

ylvs wrote:

Leave out the onions.

LOL!

....hm. Does it count as MST fanart if I draw an onion? That's about as far as my drawing abilities go.

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#10 2013-12-17 12:41:51

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Magpie wrote:

ylvs wrote:

Leave out the onions.

LOL!

....hm. Does it count as MST fanart if I draw an onion? That's about as far as my drawing abilities go.

Not just one onion. Dozens! And everyone clamoring for them, as if onions were by far their favorite food!

#11 2013-12-17 13:46:23

Sahi
Mantis
Website

If ever it gets done, there will certainly be pictures. But I'm not going to tell yet and instead will have you all guessing what it is from the pictures. Out you could all come to WorldCon in London next year...

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

• Index
  •  » Art
  •  » Call for artwork from Smarchers

Board footer