Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#51 2013-01-19 20:35:02

The Misread Man
Pilgrim

Re: Ferras Vansen

As far as I could tell Ferras was in his mid twenties while Briony was in her late teens maybe 20. There is no way Briony was as young as 15, I don't know where that's from but her thoughts perceptions and actions are far too mature for a girl that young, (even if she was somewhat naive). Also I could swear I read somewhere in the first book that Ferras's hair was long enough that he tied it back at one point, but I can't find that spot in the book anywhere and I've been debating with myself whether the image I had of him as having long/ish hair is accurate or not. Can anyone clarify this for me, perhaps tell me where I can find this description in the book?

Life is never fair, and perhaps it is a good thing for most of us that it is not.

#52 2013-01-20 18:21:11

Blue&Green
Pilgrim

Re: Ferras Vansen

The Misread Man wrote:

As far as I could tell Ferras was in his mid twenties while Briony was in her late teens maybe 20. There is no way Briony was as young as 15, I don't know where that's from but her thoughts perceptions and actions are far too mature for a girl that young, (even if she was somewhat naive). Also I could swear I read somewhere in the first book that Ferras's hair was long enough that he tied it back at one point, but I can't find that spot in the book anywhere and I've been debating with myself whether the image I had of him as having long/ish hair is accurate or not. Can anyone clarify this for me, perhaps tell me where I can find this description in the book?

It's hard to say how old Ferras is but I always pictured mid to late 20s. I know there's a few remarks made by him -- he said he came to the city 6 years past -- one saying he left home when he was around Barrick's age (which would put him in his early 20s), but that only puts it in the general range -- and there's other hints that he might have went elsewhere before he landed in Southmarch. As for his hair, I don't recall how it's described, only that it's brown. Like most others in the series, I would assume by the end it was probably shoulder length or close.

As for Briony, though, she's definitely 15 -- it's stated a few times in Shadowmarch. She's 16 by the end of the series. But, yes, she's definitely more mature than any 15 year old but I suppose that's just because she had to grow up faster than most. She does come off as more of a typical teenager at the beginning of the series.

Board footer