Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#1 2010-12-13 15:21:34

Wickedjester
Pilgrim

New paperback size.

Tad,

First, love your writing and have bought and read most (all?) of your books.

I've been looking forward to reading Shadowrise and have been waiting for it to come out in paperback.  So, I ran to Borders over the weekend since I have some spare time during the holidays and to my surprise I find that, unlike the previous books, this one is in the larger paperback format and is twice the price.

Unfortunately, instead of purchasing the book since I can't afford to buy it in the regular paperback format at the usual paperback format price, I'm going to have to check it out of the library and read it that way.  I prefer to purchase, but the increase in price isn't something I can afford nor am willing to support long term.  I don't see the logic in spending $18 for the paperback version when you can get the hardback for almost the same price (with store discounts).

Personally, I think it is a mistake to charge more for these books given the current state of the economy, but only the numbers will tell.

In any case, I just wanted to let you know that while you have a dedicated fan, I'm unhappy with this change in paperback format and wanted to let you know that it certainly has impacted at least one person's decision to buy your book and ALL books in that format.  Especially since I have an alternative in the local library system.  Hopefully this decision (which I suspect was heavily influenced by your publisher) will be reconsidered in the future.

Thanks for your understanding and I wish you well.

#2 2010-12-14 00:13:03

Aan`allein
Hierarch
Website

Re: New paperback size.

Hmm, from the price (and Amazon's listing of the November 2010 reprint edition of Shadowrise as being  8.9 x 5.9 inches), I'd say Daw has decided to do a "trade paperback" (properly C-format) release of Shadowrise before the regular mass market paperback (A-format)), which will be the regular size and price that you're used to (but probably won't be out for another year now).
Authors really have no say whatsoever in such decisions; this is all up to the publisher.

I've noticed more publishers pulling this trick with books I'm waiting for, though. And all UK Macmillan imprints have moved to B-format for their regular paperback releases. It's all most annoying.

Mozilla developer comment of the however long it'll be this time:
<Mossop> run for the hills!
<Boriss> i can't, i'm at a local maximum!

Just Imagine...

#3 2010-12-18 12:12:41

Jacek
Pilgrim

I personally love the trade paperback versions, much prettier & easier to read. I treasure my squat MST & Otherland volumes but there's something much more noble about the trades.

I understand the complaint, though, of course; the waiting can certainly get on one's nerves.

Last edited by Jacek (2010-12-18 12:12:57)

#4 2012-05-15 10:31:06

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

After reading Shadowmarch and partway through Shadowplay, I'm looking forward to the larger sized Shadowrise and Shadowheart. (Already own 'rise, waiting for 'heart to be delivered.) While as a general rule, I tend to prefer mass market, the books are so big and I have tiny hands that it sometimes makes it awkward to hole. Of course not paying full price may have also helped... (But I already bought 'march 3 times, and 'play 2 times, so I can save a bit, right??)

If you should do what makes you happy, and no one can tell you what makes you happy, then that means no one can tell you what to do!

Tamishu's Ramblings

Board footer