Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#1 2010-11-01 13:05:21

Olaf
Mantis
Website

Shadowheart Reviews

The first review is in, even though it is only the obligatory summary/review by Harriet Klausner. I only skimmed the review, but Klausner is notorious for severe spoilers so consider yourself warned and

READ AT YOUR OWN RISK:

The Eddon family have lived in Southmarch castle and ruling the Marchlands for centuries. Now they are scattered because Hendon Tolly took the throne forcing the twin co-regents Barrick and Briony to escape if they want to live. Southmarch is at war with the Qar (fairy folks) because since the usurpers took over they persecuted the fairy and forced them to erect a Mantle curtain and settle on their own lands. In the middle of the battle, the Qar stop fighting because a greater foe is marching to conquer Shadowmarch. ------------------- Both Tolly and the ruler of all the conquered lands in the south, the Autarch of Xis Sulepis, know that the Sleeping Gods are located deep below the Funderling Town where the group of small dwarf like creatures lives. The pair plans to attack the realm of the Gods and use a magic ritual to make one of the gods their slave. Brionye is safely staying with the Prince of Syan Eneas who loves her and vows to help her get home. When they arrive Eneas and his men fight to gain control of the throne that rightfully belongs to Briony. All parties interested in waking the Gods and those who oppose collide as Briony and her Syanese allies take the fight to those loyal to Tolly.--------------------------- Shadowheart is a grand epic finish to a great grand fantasy saga that like its three predecessors is filled with action, but character driven as the audience anticipates the climatic ending.h Tad Williams has not let us down as he springs one shocker after another to a spellbound audience. Barrick is more Qar than human because of a ritual ro save his life although he fights on the side of the humans who want to restore Shadowmarch to its previous glory. Briony has come a long way from the youth foolishly challenging Tolly to a duel as her inner strength remains powerful but matured with experience. All the major subplots come together as apocalypse now has converged on Shadowmarch.------------- Harriet Klausner

Scrollbearer

Writing books, especially long books, is a careful balance between laziness and masochism.
Tad Williams

#2 2010-11-02 16:15:54

Neemo
Pilgrim
Website

Re: Shadowheart Reviews

well based on your warning i'll be avoiding this thread like the plague until i read the book :)

#3 2010-11-21 14:23:14

Olaf
Mantis
Website

Shadowheart by Tad Williams, DAW, 2010, $27.95, ISBN 978-0-7564-0640-0

Tad Williams brings the Shadowmarch sequence to a close in this, the fourth volume, which provided my bedside reading for the last few days.  As you will know if you’ve read the previous three, the throne has been stolen and the rightful heirs have been waiting for an opportunity to regain their birthright.  Their efforts are complicated by the awakening of a sleeping god with a malevolent nature and a grudge against humans. The heirs – formerly scattered for their own separate adventures – are converging now for the ultimate reunion. And behind all of this are the plotting of the fairies, who obviously have their own agenda and interest in the outcome of the human struggle for succession.  The plot is a tried and true one, though I’ve grown to dislike stolen thrones and the consequences, but Williams writes well enough to make me swallow my aversion and read on even four a story that spans four very large volumes. 11/12/10

http://www.dondammassa.com/R2C2010.htm

Scrollbearer

Writing books, especially long books, is a careful balance between laziness and masochism.
Tad Williams

#4 2010-11-23 12:10:57

Olaf
Mantis
Website

Sunstantial review from Fantasy Book Critic

Tad Williams’ Shadowmarch series may have gotten off to a rocky start in the opening volume, but by the time Shadowheart rolled around, I could hardly contain my excitement at finally completing the series, and both Shadowrise and Shadowheart deliver. Unfortunately, because I have not read any of Tad Williams’ other novels, I can’t offer any comparisons to the author’s earlier work, but from the viewpoint of someone who loves to read epic fantasy, Shadowrise and Shadowheart are as good an ending to a fantasy saga as I’ve ever had the pleasure of reading...

http://fantasybookcritic.blogspot.com/2 … liams.html

Scrollbearer

Tad Williams

#5 2010-11-23 22:31:19

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Thanks for the reviews, Olaf!

(I'll be reading them after I read the book myself).

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#6 2010-12-05 13:07:12

Olaf
Mantis
Website

Scrollbearer

Tad Williams

#7 2011-01-11 17:56:07

astsa285
Pilgrim

Olaf wrote:

Sunstantial review from Fantasy Book Critic

Tad Williams’ Shadowmarch series may have gotten off to a rocky start in the opening volume, but by the time Shadowheart rolled around, I could hardly contain my excitement at finally completing the series, and both Shadowrise and Shadowheart deliver. Unfortunately, because I have not read any of Tad Williams’ other novels, I can’t offer any comparisons to the author’s earlier work, but from the viewpoint of someone who loves to read epic fantasy, Shadowrise and Shadowheart are as good an ending to a fantasy saga as I’ve ever had the pleasure of reading...

http://fantasybookcritic.blogspot.com/2 … liams.html

If you're looking for more novels by Tad Williams I strongly recommend the Memory, Sorrow, Thorn trilogy-The Dragonbone Chair, Stone Of Farewell, and To Green Angel Tower. Memory, Sorrow, Thorn is said to be Williams response to Lord of the Rings, not as a clone but as a challenge. The plot is thick and I must admit it seems to drag on at times. However I think the story itself and the unique plot, and complex conflict make up for that. Williams creates a vivid world and his characterization is exquisite. This series is an undisguised jewel and is a must for any fantasy aficionado. Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn remain near the top of many fantasy lovers' list. Such as mine.

#8 2012-05-07 14:02:51

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

So, I was poking around on Amazon to grab the ISBN for Shadowheart so I could order it (bookstores having Tadbooks is hit & miss, sometimes they only have parts of series) and decided to look at some of the reviews! Well I don't care about the 4 & 5 star reviews, I really wanted to read the 1 & 2 star reviews!!! Biggest complaints: It was too long, there was "exaggerated speechifying" (lolwhut?), and my favorite: some people didn't read the other 3 and were confused, therefore that makes the 4th one bad. Umm... maybe you missed the point of TRILOGY, or are confusing it with SERIES, but what makes anyone think that picking up book #4 first is a good idea..?

If you should do what makes you happy, and no one can tell you what makes you happy, then that means no one can tell you what to do!

Tamishu's Ramblings

Board footer