Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-03-15 21:34:20

golubld
Pilgrim

grammatical errors

hey idk if tad will get this but i have found several grammatical errors and typos in his shadow series. love the books btw. but i could give u the page numbers and everything if u want.

#2 2011-03-16 00:47:44

Olaf
Mantis
Website

Re: grammatical errors

Tad is not on here much anymore, but it might be helpful if you mailed them to Tad's publisher, so that these issues might be fixed for future editions. Whom to mail depends on which edition you read.

Scrollbearer

Writing books, especially long books, is a careful balance between laziness and masochism.
Tad Williams

#3 2012-01-28 08:07:57

jonadab
Pilgrim

Perhaps you should post them here first, so that other readers can vet them, before troubling the publisher.  I've found that a rather substantial percentage of the things people think are grammatical errors are, upon closer examination, not.  (I'm not saying there aren't any in the 'march series; it's been a couple of years now since I read them, so I don't remember.  I'm just suggesting it might be worthwhile to post them here and let several other people independently verify them first, before contacting the publisher.)

Last edited by jonadab (2012-01-28 08:08:39)

#4 2012-01-28 14:55:45

ylvs
Mantis

I don't think it is worth the effort. Typos never go away. There is at least one in the latest edition of MST that was there from the first paperback I got back in '94. And I can hardly believe nobody pointed it out to the publishers in all these years.

And now Olaf, you will ask me which one I mean and when you do I will go and check.

Last edited by ylvs (2012-01-28 14:58:53)

To meet an old friend is like the finding of a welcoming campfire in the dark. Qanuc saying
Scrollbearer
Titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Arsonist of the probably most spectacular Mint burning ever

#5 2012-01-28 15:57:29

Olaf
Mantis
Website

@ylvs

You surely must mean the "Osten Are" instead of "Osten Ard" typo at the VERY beginning of the book (in the AUTHORĀ“S WARNING) ? It has been with THE DRAGONBONE CHAIR from its very first hc printing and even managed to stay undetected in the new e-book editions. I dare say that this typo  deserves to survive :-)

I just checked. This particular typo is in all my US editions (HC, Trade Paperback and Mass-Market Paperback, E-book), but in none of my UK editions....

Scrollbearer

Writing books, especially long books, is a careful balance between laziness and masochism.
Tad Williams

#6 2012-01-28 16:06:06

ylvs
Mantis

That's the one Olaf. You outsmart me again.
*grins*

To meet an old friend is like the finding of a welcoming campfire in the dark. Qanuc saying
Scrollbearer
Titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Arsonist of the probably most spectacular Mint burning ever

Board footer