Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-01-14 00:05:05

Olaf
Mantis
Website

Translations of Tailchaser`s Song

I am looking for information on all published translations of Tailchaser`s Song for a bibliography I am compiling. Apart from editions in the US, the UK and Germany, I have found so far the following translations:

Staartjager`s Zang (Niederlande, 1986);  La Légende du Noble Chat Piste-Fouet (Frankreich, 1987); La canción del Cazarrabo (Spanien, 1992); Pieśń Łowcy (Polen, 1994)

I am sure there are more. I clearly remember an Italian version, but without a title to go, it is quite difficult to find anything.

So, does anyone know of translations that are not already mentioned here?

Scrollbearer

Writing books, especially long books, is a careful balance between laziness and masochism.
Tad Williams

#2 2012-01-14 21:32:17

strangeshe
Hierarch

Re: Translations of Tailchaser`s Song

Besides what you have already for TAILCHASER'S SONG, I have:

Italian: Il Canto di Acchiappacoda 
(1986, A Mondadori; ISBN 8804291419; Translated into Italian by Papi M.)

Russian: Хвосттрубой, или Приключения Молодого Кота
(2004, Азбука; ISBN 5352009378; translates to roughly "Hvosttruboy or Adventure young cat")

Japanese: テイルチェイサーの歌 (文庫)
(01/1990    出版社: 早川書房 (Hayakawa Publishing, Inc.); ISBN 9784150201340; Hidesato (translation))

Swedish: none
Finnish: none
Danish: none
Czech: none
Croatia: none

Not sure if there are any others out there; these are from the research I did several years ago. The languages I found for any of Tad's books included: English (US & UK), German, Dutch, French, Spanish, Italian, Swedish, Finnish, Danish, Polish, Czech, Croatian, Bulgarian, Russian, and Japanese.

But that's only 15 languages, and there should be more -- or so I've heard. I've /still/ never had a definite answer about how many languages Tad's books have been translated into. (Even Tad and Deb don't seem to have that answer to hand.) Someday, I'll nail it down, though.

#3 2012-01-15 04:02:00

Olaf
Mantis
Website

Thanks, strangeshe! Thank you very much!

My present my goal for 2012 is to compile a complete bibliography of all of Tad`s works in German, and I am doing it chronologically, so I started with TAILCHASER which has had/or is about to have 5 editions in German. 3 HC, 2 PBs.

Then I will continue with DRAGONBONE CHAIR. Additionally, I would like to include all available translation of each title at least by giving the name of the translation and information about its first publication!

Scrollbearer

Writing books, especially long books, is a careful balance between laziness and masochism.
Tad Williams

#4 2012-01-22 07:50:03

Olaf
Mantis
Website

Have posted my first part of the Tailchaser bibliography focusing on Germany.

http://gentlemadness.wordpress.com/2012 … utschland/

Scrollbearer

Tad Williams

#5 2012-01-22 11:40:17

strangeshe
Hierarch

You're quite welcome, Olaf. One of these days, I'll get my records up-to-date -- but by the time that happens, I likely will be incorporating your current research, too!

I love your new post re: the German TAILCHASER bibliography! Had never seen that cover from 1996 and I like it very much! The new release cover art is quite nice, too. :)

#6 2012-01-22 14:51:38

Olaf
Mantis
Website

Yes that 1996 artwork is quite nifty. Bought a cheap  copy of that edition via Abebooks last weeks, so I was finally able to find out who did the artwork.

I also like the new artwork for the 2012 re-release. I don`t have any more information about this new translation, but I am wondering if it will include Tad`s new intro from the 15th anniversary edition (which has never been used in any edition), if it finally has the map (which also has never been used), and/or if the translation has been revised (like with the MS&T releases). I am also wondering who did the artwork for it, because it does not look like Kerem Beyit who did the last couple of German covers (MS&T re-release and Ordinary Farm). We`ll see....

Scrollbearer

Tad Williams

Board footer