Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-11-04 22:10:04

ArcticSwan360
Pilgrim
Website

What Do You Want To See In The Game?

Hello fellow Tadpoles.

I thought It would be an interesting way to help pass the time to the eventual release of more information on the game to discuss on our own ideas that would be cool to have implemented into the game. Like what aspects of MMO games should be used, changed, or dropped. The one thing I mentioned in a previous thread is the idea of a long-spanning quest about finding lost journals from Martine's diary.

But there is so much more Otherland can offer. Do you want to see a crafting mechanic developed for the game, or do you think that will be the focus for developing code and hacking programs? Or is the idea of codes more likely to be the leveling up system? Either way, what other aspects do you want to see, and how so? Let us know what you want to see right here, and how you would implement it into the game - it could be a completely new idea for an MMO or one that's been done before, just polished to work for the Otherland engine.

http://thewritersguild.spaces.live.com/

I'd greatly appreciate comments on my blog.
It will be about reading, writing, gaming, movies, tv and more.
Thank You, and rember: Join Today! The Guild Needs You!

#2 2009-11-17 09:01:08

pixiejen
Pilgrim
Website

Re: What Do You Want To See In The Game?

I know it's supposed to be an MMO game, but I can't shake the feeling that just the idea of the virtual world itself would be awesome, a place the fans can explore.  I think having Middle Country within the framework of Otherland (like it is in the books) would be AWESOME in every possible way...

I mean, virtual microtransactions with the ability to buy virtual real estate to create whatever we want in it would be just like it was described (Neal Stephenson sort of did this originally with the metaverse in Snow Crash, but I don't really think anyone did it again until Tad did.  I understand Second Life and Entropia are like these worlds, as well as PSHome but to me, Tad's is the best iteration so to be able to make that come to life would be optimal.).

Sorry I know I'm going all over the place. :D

I'll need to think on this more, I think.  To try and wrap my MMORPG gaming head around the differences in Otherland compared to a regular plain ol' MMO.

All I really hope though is that every single developer has at the very least read Otherland.

"When the windows of perception are cleansed, man will see the universe as it truly is - infinite."

-W. Blake.

pixiejen.com

#3 2010-01-07 05:00:20

Cho Cho
Pilgrim

I'd love to see a "minigame" in an MMO. Not that kind of minigame you just play cause you're bored, but one that'll also reward the player. E.g. a card game. You can get cards from beaten enemies or by wining matches against players. A won match will give you money and an EP boost or something alike.
Certainly it's nothing taken from the Otherland world, but MMO's generally miss such stuff.

#4 2010-01-31 16:34:41

Calvin
Pilgrim

I'm with Nerahla on this, I think Otherland MMO would be great as a virtual world, not just a game. The one thing that would make this killer, would be User Generated Content.

Not very likely, but imagine it. Owning your own real estate in The Net or Otherland...

#5 2010-01-31 21:33:29

ArcticSwan360
Pilgrim
Website

So combining the best of of Second Life and something like World of Warcraft?

http://thewritersguild.spaces.live.com/

I'd greatly appreciate comments on my blog.
It will be about reading, writing, gaming, movies, tv and more.
Thank You, and rember: Join Today! The Guild Needs You!

#6 2010-03-23 18:46:08

Calvin
Pilgrim

Exactly.

Once an MMOs and RPGs really collide, incorporating UGC, we'll have some truly amazing MMORPGs.

Last edited by Calvin (2010-03-23 18:47:50)

#7 2010-04-06 18:46:28

Skyemberr
Pilgrim

I am a long time MMO player. I started my first MMO with Ultima Online back in the 90s, and have consistently played several MMOs ever since.  There are a few things that I think would be enjoyable to have in an MMO.

1. The ability to own virtual real estate, like houses, castles, etc, and to be able to securely store items in that space.
2. Guilds love shared guildbanks for the easy distro of goods and items. Also, a shared guildhouse that players could occupy would be neat.
3. Going with the basic premise of the Otherland Series, an ability for the player to begin to own and personalize small virtual realms, just like the big bad guys in the series did. The amount of space and options for customization could slowly unlock based on level and achievements of the character.
4. Cooperative raiding opportunities for groups of 5, 10, 25 players with interesting and powerful treasure dropped by bosses.
5. A simple but useful crafting system that allows the character to be adept at a couple of different skills.  If the steps to craft items get to complicated it is not as fun. Also, if failures while crafting eat your materials, it is really irritating. Please do not set it up that way. Players are spoiled now  due to games like WoW and expect not to go broke failing on their crafting combines.
6. Ability to randomly gather useful materials in the game environment. eg: flower picking, tree chopping, mining, etc.
7. The ability to fly.
8. Highly customizable character creation which includes numerous facial styles and designs, hair styles, skin color and ability to choose whether your character will be fat or thin, tall or squat.
9. Multiple talent options per character class, similar to the dual spec talent system in World of Warcraft.
10. An  auction hall or market where characters can post items for sale.
11. a secure authentication system to help defeat the hacking that will surely ensue upon release of the game. Authenticators are useful! Having your acct name be your email address is a vulnerability, so allowing players to use something other than their email address to get into their acct would be a big plus.
12 Instanced dungeons are a nice thing to include because it prevents players from fighting so much over loot and boss kills.
13. While it is nice that MMOs foster the team spirit and award players for grouping, some MMOs have made the mistake of making it very hard for a player to solo. There are a lot of players out there who do not want to be ion a group all of the time, and it is a big plus to be able to solo on any class to progress your character.

#8 2010-04-07 14:48:02

Wolfshade
Pilgrim
Website

One key for me will be the control over avatar and environment.  I stopped raiding in WoW because you're considered inferior if you don't raid multiple hours 6-7 days a week.  When it becomes a responsibility and not a game, it is time to reassess cost/value of playing.  I hope Otherland is A) fun and B) able to be played casually without missing 90% of the content.

"The rhythm is broken by continuous illumination, continuous darkness, or by decapitation." M.Morita and J.B.Best. The Journal of Experimental Zoology. 231: 273-282 (1984)

http://twitter.com/wolfshade
http://www.fullcastpodcast.com

#9 2011-08-11 17:23:16

GoggleBoi4BUi
Pilgrim

I agree with some of the above although having played several MMOs I feel like they are all becoming alike and not trying too much to differentiate themselves from one another. I don't think that there is a lack of potential players/customers for this game because when people get bored with one MMO they are looking for a new one particularly one that is fresh and not the same old grind. Without getting too opinionated because I know that to make a marketable game you have to have certain things, here are a few things I would like, the novels are so chock full of cool ideas though that I agree with Mr. Williams that I don't really want to see an exact storyline of the books but rather a free flowing individual experience for each player:

1) please no auction house and no crafting per se, I don't mind having to earn points or tokens or something but I find that most high level players never craft because the items are awful only maybe for helping other people or making money, but not something that a low level even wants to deal with.

2) PvP would be fun but I don't think there is a fair way to set it up. As in most MMOs the faster your connection the higher you can get. Some people don't have access to fiber optic lines or the most expensive computers so either make it fun for everyone or don't do it. People who live where there are fast and relatively cheap connections don't seem to realize what it is like for the rest of us so why reward them.

3) Just bring the world of the books to life in itself could be all consuming, but I think there should be some mechanism for economy either dropped or found goods or experience or tokens received doing a raid or an instance or completing some task can be used like dailies maybe. Some of the reasons I get tired of other MMOs is that when you are leveling people seem to be really friendly but as soon as you remove that element, their true colors revealed. Alright everyone needs to level up but I don't play an MMO to just level up and then I'm done. I want to enjoy my time leveling and share unique experiences. Some people will agree with me some will scoff and say shut up. I think the problem with MMOs is you have very distinct personalities with distinct goals and time constraints and reasons for playing. I am not saying to keep them distinct but to figure out a way for people to express themselves so that we can communicate without feeling like we are compromising our true selves due to the constraints and limitations of the game itself. Okay I know that is hard to understand but maybe being able to decorate your avatar or earn things. Being able to express oneself online is really very limited. For any new MMO to succeed they need to be unique and cutting edge instead of just doing a cookie cutter of every other MMO. Sure you need to stay competitive but I don't think people are going to try something new unless it somehow is going to satisfy their curiosity a bit and offer something new. And not the same grind and level and re-level and grind to the top.

Obvious they should do a focus group or something to see what people think and also should do some beta testing, but they may think I am crazy. It is just my opinion and I know most companies think that what works work and so why change a good formula. I think however that sometimes taking that risk to set apart and not do what people expect is also good. The books and Mr. William atest to that.

Board footer