Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#1 2006-11-10 17:23:00

Magpie
Mantis
Website

favorite quotations

from Tad's books, of course.

I have this odd mind that will always comment on everything with sentences out of books I've read, and MST is certainly among the most often quoted ones.
I especially like the things Morgenes and Binabik say (including Qanuc proverbs, and exclamations like "By the Lesser Crocodile!" and "Nuanni's shinbone!"
Like...
"Simon, there are more things you don't know than things that I do know. I despair at the imbalance" or
"what a wonderful, charming, perfectly stupid thing to say!" or
"of course Sithi are real. Do you suppose they sit here in the forest wondering if men are real?"
... I just love them.

And what Jiriki says about religions, but I shall be damned if I can find that right now.

So, utterly useless midnightly question: Do you have any favorite quotations from Tad's books?

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#2 2006-11-11 10:46:00

Earthmanu
Pilgrim

Re: favorite quotations

From "War of the flowers", quoting imperfectly:

"This is a goblin's story. There is a hole inside...".

- My former pseudo in the french minitel roleplaying community AKELA
was "GAG THE FOOL" , for about one thousand hours ...
- I wish to share experience about
1/writing rpg-scenarii in Tolkien's Beleriand ... 2/teaching roleplay and impro to disabled adolescents ... 3/simulations of acrobatic kites flying

#3 2010-01-20 17:38:53

Tailchaser
Pilgrim

Oh heck yes!!
After reading MS&T the third time I went through and highlighted my favorite quotes (in a worn paperback, of course :] )

I actually used to swear "By the Tree" and "S'Bloody Tree!" evey once in a while. :}

We are the sum of all ages, are we not? And as a result there is nothing that marks this age of ours, save that one thing. We are the sum.
-Michael Moorcock

#4 2010-02-10 09:00:16

Shadow Adams
Pilgrim

Out of 32 typed pages of my favorite quotes, ranging from Tailchaser's Song and all of MS&T, here are a few. Hope you enjoy:

"Tailchaser. All thing's in earth's season - only given time. Remember that, won't you?" - Bristlejaw to Fritti P. 18

"One afternoon, Pouncequick caught a Squeaker all by himself. It was a young mouse, and a very stupid one at that, but Pouncequick caught it without help and was justifiably proud. Moreover, Fritti decided, it tasted just as good as the cleverer sort." - P. 68

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise, or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -Author's Warning from TDBC

"Avoid stupidity, if such a thing is possible." Morgenes TDBC P. 115

"'Hope, Eolair often said, in that quiet, but fox-clever way of his, 'is like the belly strap on a king's saddle - a slender thing, but if it snaps the world turns topside-down."  SOF P. 120

"Simple answers to life's questioning. That would be magic beyond any I have ever been seeing." - Binabik  SOF P. 188

Appropriate for today's weather - "I'm sure you fear my shent-playing the way you fear deep snow and high walls - not at all." Simon 's farewell to Aditu  TGAT II P. 781

And I love all the Qanuc proverbs!   
(Page numbers are from the paperbacks.)

Lead me not into temptation, especially bookstores.

#5 2010-10-25 16:29:54

FallingSunshine
Pilgrim

I jjust recently read The War of The Flowers, but its not in my hands at the moment, and I found a quote in there from a conversation between Theo and The Remover of Inconvenient Obstacles. I can't remember what it was, only that it was brilliantly dark, and I swear it was something about either of their personalities or 'humanity'.
If anyone can help me out it would be wonderful.
Sorry that I can't give more information. =[

#6 2011-07-18 02:06:53

KingofGlass
Pilgrim

"Ohe vo stetto" (Yes, he has a knife!).

From Stone of Farewell and it always makes me giggle. Also when Count Streawe laughs at the fact that Lenti once again announced his knife ownership. I believe Isgrimnur gives him a whack on the nose when he tries the same thing on him.

Board footer