Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-07-10 20:34:11

ethanandellasmom
Pilgrim

The Secrets of Ordinary Farm

WHEN is this next installment due to hit the USA?  My 8 year old son and I just finished reading The Dragons of Ordinary Farm and are very excited for the next installment!  Anyone know?

Last edited by ethanandellasmom (2011-07-10 20:35:29)

#2 2011-07-11 08:33:21

ylvs
Mantis

Re: The Secrets of Ordinary Farm

There is no announcement on this website yet so there is no publicaion date yet. Whenever there is you'll read it here first.

But you can have an appetizer:

Sneak peak of Secrets of Ordinary Farm

'Inij koku na siqqasa min taq' - 'When we meet again, that will be a good day.'

What if UN economic sanctions against the Nornfells failed to get them to close down their Nuclear Witnesses program? At least the Sithi could begin their own WMD (Witnesses of Mass Destruction) program to try to counter the Nornsies... - Firsfron of Ronchester

Scrollbearer

#3 2011-07-14 17:14:31

strangeshe
Hierarch

ethanandellasmom wrote:

WHEN is this next installment due to hit the USA?  My 8 year old son and I just finished reading The Dragons of Ordinary Farm and are very excited for the next installment!  Anyone know?

Tad and Deborah will be self-publishing the next book, THE SECRETS OF ORDINARY FARM, in the US. It will be released in the UK and Germany through their traditional publishers. I do not have dates immediately at hand for UK or German releases. I /think/ the date I saw for the German release by Klett-Cotta is right around September, but I'd have to check that to be sure.

For more information regarding the US release, I sent your question to Tad and Deborah, and here's what Deb replied:

"To answer your question re. Secrets - please tell peeps that we intend to publish through Amazon's Create Space and there will be hardcopies.  Cost, hardback or softback, etc etc, I have no idea at this stage, I really do have to make it up as I go along.  I'm likely to publish paperback and e-book together, then maybe do a small hardback run for special/Christmas."

So, SECRETS will be released as an e-book (Kindle) and printed copies may also be ordered from Amazon, but details re: price, formats and exact dates are still to be determined. (Should be very soon though.)

#4 2011-08-21 16:13:55

strangeshe
Hierarch

The Secrets of Ordinary Farm is now available for the Kindle.

click here to get your copy

#5 2011-08-22 05:52:23

ylvs
Mantis

BUT ME WANTS BOOOK! Letters on pages no stupid electronic stuff!

*pouts*

Well I would read it on my ipad if there was no other way. But buying a kindle seems a bit too much  ever for a new Dogbook.

What if UN economic sanctions against the Nornfells failed to get them to close down their Nuclear Witnesses program? At least the Sithi could begin their own WMD (Witnesses of Mass Destruction) program to try to counter the Nornsies... - Firsfron of Ronchester

Scrollbearer

#6 2011-08-22 06:36:11

strangeshe
Hierarch

*nod* I understand.  I believe Deb is still looking into making it available in paperback, but I don't have any more info on that yet. Will let you know as soon as I hear anything. That's for the US edition.

There will be proper paper copies published very soon in UK and Germany. I'm not sure of dates yet, but just a matter of a couple months, I /think/. I'll be sure to post about those as soon as I know anything firm, too.

(And I'm with you, ylvs. I don't own a Kindle yet -- but have been contemplating getting one. I'm still not sure this is the impetus I need to finally decide though. But it's pushed me closer :)

#7 2011-08-22 12:43:04

ylvs
Mantis

I know I said this before but want to say it again:

You're such a sweety Strangeshe - always commenting helping informing everyone about everything. You're truely the benevolent spirit of this board - in every sense.

I saw the announcement for secrets on amazon.de and am wondering whether this will be the first time ever that my German only parents will be reading a Tadbook earlier than me ... funny thought really!

Scrollbearer

#8 2011-08-22 20:02:06

Neemo
Pilgrim
Website

i am also patiently awaiting a real life book :-D

#9 2011-09-02 05:19:38

Ian
Pilgrim

Since yesterday I have been trying to find out how to get my hands on the "real" book (Sorry, but I will probably never buy an e-reader. It's not the same as reading a book)

Anyway I just received an answer from a delightfully helpful lady called Rose at Quercus Publishing PLC. Rose spoke to their Childrens Books Department on my behalf and they informed her that the English version of "TSoOF" will be published in April 2012. :/

Boy will my daughter be disapointed... she saw the German version will hit the market in September 2011 and expected the English one to be out before that.

#10 2011-09-02 08:17:16

Sahi
Mantis
Website

That's rather odd!

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#11 2011-09-02 14:18:27

strangeshe
Hierarch

Yeah, I have no idea what's up with Quercus, but from what Deb said elsewhere, they (Quercus) have not been forthcoming with information about the publication date -- even to the authors!

Still no word about if/when a hard-copy version will be available in the States, but we'll keep hoping! (The decision to go with e-format had to do with the publisher here, too, but I don't know any details -- just that Deb & Tad decided they would self-publish after having some kind of difficulty with the traditional route.)

Just more reasons that Klett rocks!

#12 2011-09-03 08:08:25

ylvs
Mantis

Maybe we should ask Klett to publish the English version as well ... Olaf could you use your channels to kindly ask ?

Scrollbearer

#13 2011-09-17 04:45:11

ylvs
Mantis

I just found out that there is a kindle app for the ipad. Downloaded it and bought Secrets within the minute.
Now I own a stupid electronic book ... I still hope to get a real one though ... Strange idea letting Tad sign my pad next month.
This reminds me of the time I was forced to buy a cd-player for a must-have-record wasn't published on vinyl anymore - I quite cling to oldfashioned stuff.

Scrollbearer

#14 2011-09-18 04:19:34

Olaf
Mantis
Website

ylvs wrote:

Maybe we should ask Klett to publish the English version as well ... Olaf could you use your channels to kindly ask ?

I'll try :-)
Sorry for late reply, but I have moved in late July and I am still without telephone and internet. I am borrowing internet time occasionally from a neighbour, but usually just to read and answer my mails.

Hope to be back online by the end of the month. But I said that before, so I am not holding my breath.

As far as I know, there will be on English-language edition from Quercus in April 2012.

Scrollbearer

"We love you as much as Gollum hates Bagginses." Tad

high & mighty bibliography

#15 2011-09-30 15:24:34

Olaf
Mantis
Website

UK edition (in paperback) is scheduled for April 2012.

Cover Art can be found here:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/5 … AA300_.jpg

In my opinion it looks stunning although it does not match the UK cover for book 1.

Scrollbearer

#16 2011-12-06 20:19:05

lala
Pilgrim

I am from Malaysia. I enjoyed the first book and I cant wait for the Secrets of Ordinary Farm (the book). April 2012 is such a long time to wait!

#17 2012-02-08 01:35:19

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Wow, reading the book in German was more of a challenge than I'd expected. So many expressions that I didn't know yet. I think I got most of it though. I was under the impression that it was a really good translation too. No translating names to something else (which I always hate if they do that, although I must admit that I don't know if they do that in German children's books).

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#18 2012-02-11 09:38:49

ylvs
Mantis

The translation was good indeed. It didn't bother me at all when I read it to daughter. Harry Potter for example did.

Scrollbearer

#19 2012-02-11 17:23:17

Olaf
Mantis
Website

Hans-Ulrich Möhring, who did the ODFARM translations into German is very, very good. He also translated all four OTHERLAND books and (I think) the second edition of CALIBAN`S HOUR into German. But Tad has always had good luck with his German translators.

Scrollbearer

#20 2012-04-28 14:59:42

strangeshe
Hierarch

Okay, now that the UK print version has been released, can someone please verify the cover artist for me? I don't have a copy myself, and the only reference I can find online is at amazon.uk which says it's Greg Swearingen. Swearingen did the art for the DRAGONS of OF in the US, and David Wyatt did the art for DRAGONS in the UK, but the art for the UK SECRETS looks different from Swearingen's -- at least to me.

I already have that the wonderful artist Kerem Beyit did the art for both German editions -- DRAGONS and SECRETS (not to mention the art for the 4 recent MST reissues in Germany). I just need to know if Swearingen is actually the cover artist for the UK version, or if it's someone else.

Thank you, oh fabulous Smarch-Mind! :)

#21 2012-04-30 06:13:54

strangeshe
Hierarch

*bump* Anyone have a copy of the UK SECRETS of OF?

#22 2012-04-30 07:40:31

Olaf
Mantis
Website

Cover artist is David Wyatt

Scrollbearer

#23 2012-05-01 07:08:23

strangeshe
Hierarch

Thank you, Olaf! I was pretty sure that amazon had it wrong. :)

#24 2012-05-01 10:15:39

Olaf
Mantis
Website

They often have it wrong!

By the way, the book looks much nicer than the online pictures of it indicate. A very nice edition indeed.

Scrollbearer

#25 2012-08-25 08:51:15

FlutePicc
Pilgrim

I am still unable to find Secrets at all in Canada.  Either in stores or online.  Even the US Amazon site seems to only list the Kindle version and a couple used copies of the print version.

Am I just out of luck, or are there still more versions and wider publication dates to come?

Board footer