Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-06-02 11:37:16

sisterdew
Pilgrim

Tad is coming to Europe!

Wien - Thursday, 20.10.2011* - Thalia Landstraße - Hauptstraße 2a/2b
Göttingen - Sunday, 23.10.2011, 21.00 Uhr* - Deutsches Theater, Göttinger Literaturherbst
Hildesheim - Monday, 24.10.2011, 20.00 Uhr* - Buchhandlung Decius
Berlin - Tuesday, 25.10.2011, 20.00 Uhr* - Ballsaal Wirtshaus Max&Moritz, Oranienstraße 162, Berlin, Veranstalter: Otherland Buchhandlung
Lübeck - Wednesday, 26.10.2011* - Buchhandlung Weiland
Stuttgart - Thursday, 27.10.2011, 20:15 Uhr* - Buchhaus Wittwer im Theaterhaus Stuttgart - Weitere Informationen unter www.wittwer.de
Hamm - Friday, 28.10. 2011* - Weltbild ECE-Alleecenter Hamm (Signierstunde)
Düsseldorf - Friday, 28.10. 2011* - Mayersche Buchhandlung, Düsseldorf

don't know about dates other than Austria and Germany.
Magpie, you coming to Vienna for this?

daisy-headed, one-eyed, one-horned, flying purple people eater!

#2 2011-06-02 12:42:13

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Re: Tad is coming to Europe!

Of course I am! What a question!
*jumps up and runs off to scribble on her calendar*

I guess my bosses won't be too happy about me requesting a day off so close to All Saints' Day, but I don't think they'll actually say no.
*bounces*

Scrollbearer
We Smarchers are like Dwarrows living in the city of Mezu'tua: There are only a few of us left. Most of the city is long-abandoned, but we gather here, by the light of the Shard, where it's a little warmer...
-Firsfron
babbling about books and plants

#3 2011-06-02 18:46:15

PeterJW
Pilgrim

To sisterdew and Magpie:

Be sure to tell Tad when you see him, who you are and that you are regulars on his website. (Use your site names first when you introduce yourselves to him.)  With any luck you will then get to spend exclusive one on one time with him.  I went to see him when he was in Montreal last October for a local fantasy convention.  He ended up introducing himself to me and I spent 45 minutes talking to him in the hotel lobby where the convention was located.

#4 2011-06-03 08:23:19

Aan`allein
Hierarch
Website

Too far in the future to plan anything, but I'm assuming me and xavie will head into Germany, with Göttingen and Düsseldorf probably being the most likely destinations.

Mozilla developer comment of the however long it'll be this time:
<Mossop> run for the hills!
<Boriss> i can't, i'm at a local maximum!

Just Imagine...

#5 2011-06-04 06:50:21

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Ooh, smarch moots again! Not sure about anything, but I'd really love to come to one of these.

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#6 2011-07-04 12:26:48

ylvs
Mantis

I'll definetly be in Göttingen.

*dances little dance of joy*

It's been six years since he was here the last time. I remember quite well, I was big with child no. 2 ans cyan came over for a visit and we went together  to Münster for a fab reading and drinks with the dog afterwards

As the Göttingen is on a sunday we could have a small weekend moot in Kassel if anyone is interested. Kassel where I live is only 50km south of Göttingen ...
Consider yourselves invited smarchees!

'Inij koku na siqqasa min taq' - 'When we meet again, that will be a good day.'

What if UN economic sanctions against the Nornfells failed to get them to close down their Nuclear Witnesses program? At least the Sithi could begin their own WMD (Witnesses of Mass Destruction) program to try to counter the Nornsies... - Firsfron of Ronchester

Scrollbearer

#7 2011-07-04 21:10:06

strangeshe
Hierarch

Thank you for posting the details, sisterdew! I'll be sure to update the site with the info, too :)

Wish I could be there!

#8 2011-07-08 12:18:35

Sahi
Mantis
Website

If more people are going to Kassel, I might be lured over there again. *still remembers the memorable return journey from last time in Kassel*

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#9 2011-07-08 22:59:51

cyan
Mantis

ylvs wrote:

It's been six years since he was here the last time. I remember quite well, I was big with child no. 2 ans cyan came over for a visit and we went together  to Münster for a fab reading and drinks with the dog afterwards

It has been six years, how time flies!  I had such a great time on that trip!  I was remembering earlier today about how I was on the train from Amsterdam to Hamburg and a gas leak in a tunnel prevented me from arriving at the proper station in Hamburg for your friend to pick me up (I feel so bad right now, I can't remember her name at the moment; she was so awesome and sweet, we had a lovely tapas meal together and she even packed sandwiches for me to have during my in in Hamburg by myself.  I will never forget that, ever).  There was a very nice man wearing a very nice tie* who spoke very good English explained to me why the train was not going further we had to disembark at the station before the station that I needed to get to.  And led me through the train system's alternate transit route, which was getting passengers off the train and onto busses going to the next station. 

Fortunately I remembered your discription of your friend's car and license plate number, and the very nice man explained to me that the first letters of her license plate comes from a different region so it was easy to pick out in a parking lot in Hamburg.  We found her car rather quickly and he very kindly allowed me to use his phone to call you to let you know where I was.

I guess it really has been six years because I can't remember your friend's name, and I feel really bad about that because she was so generous and wonderful.  *shame*  (I want to say 'Caterina' but I know your sister's name is Katerina and I may be mixing them up in my silly head.)

Lily: "... .... There is a lot of bad sex in the world. There is also a lot of bad food in the world. If you are starving and have the choice between bad food and no food, you should choose the bad food. If you have the choice between bad sex and no sex, you should choose the no sex."
Scrollbearer
Proud Member of the Log Brigade
Photos of My Works

#10 2011-07-09 01:06:10

ylvs
Mantis

Wow, I completely forgot that whole story. I guess it was Cathlin (close to Katharina though) cause I only have two female friends in Hamburg and the other  hardly speaks English.

Consider coming again? Only joking but it wold be fabulous!

What if UN economic sanctions against the Nornfells failed to get them to close down their Nuclear Witnesses program? At least the Sithi could begin their own WMD (Witnesses of Mass Destruction) program to try to counter the Nornsies... - Firsfron of Ronchester

Scrollbearer

#11 2011-07-09 09:36:44

cyan
Mantis

ylvs wrote:

Wow, I completely forgot that whole story. I guess it was Cathlin (close to Katharina though) cause I only have two female friends in Hamburg and the other  hardly speaks English.

Consider coming again? Only joking but it wold be fabulous!

Cathlin, yes!  And yes, I did very briefly consider coming but Libra will be here visiting me during the last two weeks of October and we're going to San Diego.  Bad timing.  :-(

Lily: "... .... There is a lot of bad sex in the world. There is also a lot of bad food in the world. If you are starving and have the choice between bad food and no food, you should choose the bad food. If you have the choice between bad sex and no sex, you should choose the no sex."
Scrollbearer
Proud Member of the Log Brigade
Photos of My Works

#12 2011-07-17 10:00:29

SkurnTheNiffyRaven
Pilgrim
Website

haha very nice that tads first reading is in vienna! and only 5 minutes away from my sisters apartment!! thats gonna be such a fixed date!!!

i think i will have to pack a suitcase full of my TW books for subscribing ^^

Dew rises, rain falls.
Between them is mist.
Between them lies all that is.

#13 2011-08-22 13:02:04

ylvs
Mantis

I have tickets lalalala ...
Nad there still are loads available ... anyone tempted?

Scrollbearer

#14 2011-08-22 13:16:48

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Tempted indeed. Oh my which to choose, Kassel or Vienna... Aan, xavie, any intentions of coming too?

Scrollbearer

#15 2011-08-22 13:18:30

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Hmmm, looking at the dates, Gottingen seems most likely to be an option... (It being weekend)

Scrollbearer

#16 2011-08-22 13:28:14

Aan`allein
Hierarch
Website

Sahi wrote:

Aan, xavie, any intentions of coming too?

Yes, certainly. When will probably depend on xavie's school schedule, and options for combining it with visiting German friends/family. We should be able to do preliminary planning by next week.

Just Imagine...

#17 2011-08-22 13:29:40

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Cool, I'll just have to hope there will still be tickets when I come back from Denmark in three weeks.

Scrollbearer

#18 2011-08-22 15:43:34

Aan`allein
Hierarch
Website

Oh, note to self: SPIEL is Oct 20-23, so right before Göttingen (2.5 hour drive from Essen).

Just Imagine...

#19 2011-08-23 01:00:50

ylvs
Mantis

That sounds promising ...

Scrollbearer

#20 2011-08-23 11:50:44

Sahi
Mantis
Website

I don't quite know what SPIEL is, but it sounds like an event with lots of games? We could definitely work that in.

Scrollbearer

#21 2011-08-26 03:51:26

Aan`allein
Hierarch
Website

We'll have to wait another week before xavie gets the full details of her schedule. >.<

The week before Göttingen is autumn vacation for us, which is hopeful, but I also have a concert on the Tuesday that week which I really don't want to miss, which makes doing both SPIEL and visiting friends/family and Göttingen hard to do. (And Göttingen would only be doable in the first place if xavie has Mondays off.)
So Düsseldorf is still in the running as well.

(SPIEL, btw, is the biggest international boardgame convention, where most big games are released for the first time (a good showing there can cement the future of a game; 7 Wonders was last year's big hit), there's lots of demos, and usually some good promo expansions for new and existing games given away/sold. It's not a must for me to attend, but if it'd fit in somehow, it could certainly shape the trip.)

Just Imagine...

#22 2011-08-26 13:20:35

Sahi
Mantis
Website

As I said, I'll just see what you've decided when I get back.

Scrollbearer

#23 2011-09-07 12:17:00

Aan`allein
Hierarch
Website

Ok, xavie finally got the last details on her schedule, and it looks like Göttingen will be workable for us. SPIEL will unfortunately fall by the wayside in favour of friends and family, but eh - I'd only have spent too much money there anyway. *g*
Not 100% certain yet, but we'll work out details in the next few days.

I just emailed Tad to see if he has any free time on that Sunday before or after his reading. Fingers crossed.

(Not relevant anymore, but worth mentioning for other people maybe: the news post on the main site has Köln rather than Düsseldorf for the 28th.)

Just Imagine...

#24 2011-09-07 16:39:31

strangeshe
Hierarch

Aan`allein wrote:

(Not relevant anymore, but worth mentioning for other people maybe: the news post on the main site has Köln rather than Düsseldorf for the 28th.)

The schedule that is posted on this site (http://www.tadwilliams.com/2011/08/german-reading-tour/) came from Deb's contact at Klett, but I've not received any updates or changes. I hope it's still correct....

#25 2011-09-08 00:04:31

ylvs
Mantis

If anyone wants help with the tickets let me know (I have friend workng in Göttingen she can collect them)

Scrollbearer

Board footer