Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

• Index
  •  » Ordinary Farm
  •  » Is Dragons of Ordinary Farm too much for a 4 year old contentwise?

#1 2009-06-02 15:43:04

bsaenz24
Pilgrim

Is Dragons of Ordinary Farm too much for a 4 year old contentwise?

Tad, Deborah or someone who has read the book. I am debating reading Dragons with my 4 year old son. Is there anything in there that you would consider "too much" for a 4 year old? I've read him Roald Dahl books and Invention of Hugo Cabret and I am looking for some new "older kid" books to read to him at night.

Thanks,

Brad

Last edited by bsaenz24 (2009-06-02 15:43:40)

#2 2009-06-02 20:43:25

deborah
Hierarch

Re: Is Dragons of Ordinary Farm too much for a 4 year old contentwise?

Hi Brad - there's nothing unsuitable or scary - I love that Dr Cabret book BTW (forgive me if I mangle the title, am doing this at speed) - am honored to be in such company.  Also - FOUR!!!!!!  What a well-read child!  Very impressed.

#3 2009-06-02 20:44:38

deborah
Hierarch

Roald Dahl is far scarier than us (I actually found The Witches one of the scariest books ever, ha.)  But the content in Odfarm is fine on the scare front.

#4 2011-05-21 08:11:02

Neemo
Pilgrim
Website

just picked this book up and plan on reading it to my 6yo

we've gone through the first 3 Harry Potter books with her and are working through that peter and the star catchers book right now...

i'm looking forward to it too cuz hey its a Tad book...and with DRAGONS not less :-D

#5 2011-05-22 09:23:06

RSLancastr
Pilgrim

Brad, I can't speak to Ordinary Farm, not having read it, but I can wholeheartedly recommend Tad Williams' "Tailchaser's Song" as a "read-to-young-kids" book. Many years ago I read it aloud to my three kids (then around 5, 7 and 8 years old), one chapter each night, at bedtime. They loved it, and it remains talked about in our family to this day (they are now 26, 28 and 29 years old). There were only two sections of the book which were (slightly) problematic for them:

1) The Prologue - It is written in the style of an ancient myth (of the cat's society), and so was difficult for the kids to appreciate or understand.  But it is brief.

2) A scary section - there are a few chapters towards the end where the book's main characters enter into a hellish domain of the book's villain (sort of a feline Mordor).  I remember my kids worrying about the heroes' safety (although some of their worry was probably played up in order to convince their father to read "just one more chapter tonight, PLEASE!!"

With these two (very) mild caveats, I would heartily recommend "Tailchaser's Song" as something to be read to a 4-year-old, particularly if the 4-year-old loves cats.

I will also add that the hours I spent reading to my kids are among my most precious memories. Good for you for reading to yours!

Robert

• Index
  •  » Ordinary Farm
  •  » Is Dragons of Ordinary Farm too much for a 4 year old contentwise?

Board footer