Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#1 2010-06-05 15:52:12

strangeshe
Hierarch

Dutch Covers + question for the Dutchies... ;)

Hey guys --

Deb put up a couple of covers for the Shadowmarch series on her twitpic page,

here
http://twitpic.com/1tnmci

and here
http://twitpic.com/1tnmzb

Gorgeous covers! But can one of you help me translate which books these are? (I could use a translator thingamabob, but I wanted to share the images here anyway, so just thought I'd ask.)

#2 2010-06-05 16:26:02

Aan`allein
Hierarch
Website

Re: Dutch Covers + question for the Dutchies... ;)

It's the first and third book, so "Shaduwgrens" ("shadowborder") is Shadowmarch (correct according to this page), then Shadowplay is "Schaduwspel" ("shadowplay") (which you don't have a cover image for, but here's the old cover), and Shadowrise must be "Shaduwval" ("shadowfall").
I'm so glad I don't do Dutch books - I'd hate the major restyling and reshuffling of titles ("Shaduwwereld" ("shadowworld") wasn't present anywhere in the original covers) that seems to be part of this reissue.

Mozilla developer comment of the however long it'll be this time:
<Mossop> run for the hills!
<Boriss> i can't, i'm at a local maximum!

Just Imagine...

#3 2010-06-06 11:28:29

xavie
Pilgrim
Website

The cover design makes them look like young adult books. *looks unhappily at the Dutch publishing house*

#4 2010-06-06 15:30:15

strangeshe
Hierarch

Thank you, Aan :)

I remember the original Dutch MARCH and PLAY covers now, used them in Works, in fact -- but Deb's comments and the new "Shaduwwereld" titling and the redesign threw me. I did guess that "Shaduwwereld" meant "Shadowworld" (the languages are close enough there, anyway).

I have no idea where Deb found the images, but I'll have to do some hunting now. I would assume there's a new design for "Schaduwspel" to go with the other two.

It's interesting to me how random the communication is between publishers and author. Basically, there just isn't much -- especially from the international houses, though some countries are better about it than others.  And since I'm a further step removed, I get pretty much everything by accidentally stumbling over it somewhere on the net. Kind of embarrassing.

As soon as I find the new cover for "Schaduwspel", I'll link it here. :)

#5 2010-06-06 15:41:26

strangeshe
Hierarch

xavie wrote:

The cover design makes them look like young adult books. *looks unhappily at the Dutch publishing house*

You know, I didn't really notice until you mentioned it, but you're right. Hm.

I had that same impression with the German reissues of Memory, Sorrow and Thorn -- moreso with the 1st and 2nd than the 3rd, I guess:

Der Drachenbeinthron
Der Abschiedsstein
Die Nornenkonigin (part 1 of the final book; part 2 is not out yet... I think).

I wonder if with these new cover designs, the publishers are trying to tap the recent trend in popularity of YA books?

#6 2010-06-06 18:36:36

Miiru
Pilgrim
Website

Interesting.The script decorating the bow on the first cover looks like the One Ring.

Ted Kennedy in a speedo is just another sign of the coming apocalypse.
-wiked
"He who smelteth it delteth it O LORD."
-bandit

#7 2010-06-07 14:40:40

Libra-in-a-roundabout-way
Mantis

Aan`allein wrote:

I'm so glad I don't do Dutch books - I'd hate the major restyling and reshuffling of titles ("Shaduwwereld" ("shadowworld") wasn't present anywhere in the original covers) that seems to be part of this reissue.

Ditto this..... (adding "anymore" )

Scrollbearer

Author of the 777,777th post

"Sorry about your crap day, wish you libra-level dreams. ;o)"
~ Kenan

#8 2010-06-07 15:56:12

xavie
Pilgrim
Website

I know that this is a thread about Dutch covers, but I shortly have to give a desperate sob about the new German edition.

Why? Oh, Klett-Cotta, Why?!? Why are you doing that to the precious, beautiful old covers? They weren't embossed, they didn't show a boy that looked like a gremlin, but they were nice and pretty and we liked them!

Okay, I feel better now.

*giggles about the One-Ring Bow* Maybe Sauron took to the smith work and didn't stop after making all those rings. Untold stories of Osten Ard include ... How Sauron's Bow came to Osten Ard, how it got lost and refound by Miriamele ...

#9 2010-06-11 00:05:52

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

xavie wrote:

*giggles about the One-Ring Bow* Maybe Sauron took to the smith work and didn't stop after making all those rings. Untold stories of Osten Ard include ... How Sauron's Bow came to Osten Ard, how it got lost and refound by Miriamele ...

Uh-oh! If Miriamele and Osten Ard are in the book, there's more than just a problem with the cover, that's one crappy translation. ;)

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#10 2010-09-12 11:55:32

Olaf
Mantis
Website

The new dutch editions are finally online on the webpages of the publisher...

Book 1:
http://www.dromen-demonen.nl/boek.lasso … 003599BB2C

Book 2:

Book 3:

The Dutch online bookstore bol claims that they will all be publish in October.

Scrollbearer

Writing books, especially long books, is a careful balance between laziness and masochism.
Tad Williams

#11 2010-09-12 19:45:30

Yzabran
Pilgrim
Website

Shadowrise (Schaduwval) will be published in october/november 2010, I'm looking forward to it.
Yet, I like Michael Whelans cover-illustrations for the first two books, and now I can't continue that series? Such a bad idea from the publisher, changing the coverstyle halfway the series.
Yes, it looks like young adult now. And rather boring, not fantasy.
But there are other, and more important issues to complain about concerning this publisher.

#12 2011-03-13 07:41:49

Olaf
Mantis
Website

Shadowheart (as Schaduwhart) will be out in the Netherlands sometime in May/June this year.

Here is the cover art:
http://s.s-bol.com/imgbase0/imagebase/l … 970022.jpg

Scrollbearer

Writing books, especially long books, is a careful balance between laziness and masochism.
Tad Williams

#13 2011-03-14 06:58:29

xavie
Pilgrim
Website

Olaf wrote:

Shadowheart (as Schaduwhart) will be out in the Netherlands sometime in May/June this year.

Here is the cover art:
http://s.s-bol.com/imgbase0/imagebase/l … 970022.jpg

Not having read the books yet, I can only guess from the cover art: Shadowheart takes place in space?!?

Last edited by xavie (2011-03-14 16:11:58)

#14 2011-03-14 08:02:12

Olaf
Mantis
Website

I would assume that the starry background is hinting that the gods of the world are involved rather than the  NASA:)

Scrollbearer

Tad Williams

#15 2011-03-15 03:42:07

SkurnTheNiffyRaven
Pilgrim
Website

its so funny to read the dutch covers as a german speaking person!
and the partially similarity between english-dutch-german is amazing ... i love it ^^

Shadowmarch - Schaduwgrens - (Schatten)grenze
Shadowplay - Schaduwspel - (Schatten)spiel
Shadowrise - Schaduwval - (Schatten)dämmerung
Shadowheart - Schaduwhart - (Schatten)herz?

Dew rises, rain falls.
Between them is mist.
Between them lies all that is.

#16 2011-03-15 09:46:31

Olaf
Mantis
Website

I think the last book will indeed be called "Shadowmarch: Das Herz" in German. Pub date in late August or thereabouts.

Scrollbearer

Tad Williams

Board footer