Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#26 2010-12-03 13:49:38

TankSpill
Pilgrim
Website

Re: Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn Re-Read

Part 4 is up

Also, thank you so much firsfron for reading, responding, and talking with me about this re-read.  I hope you are finding it interesting enough to continue, and I hope that others will as well.

Cheers!

A Treacherous Memory - In which I talk about fantasy novels I like, or would like to read.

@TankSpill

#27 2010-12-07 23:58:33

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

TankSpill wrote:

Part 4 is up

Also, thank you so much firsfron for reading, responding, and talking with me about this re-read.  I hope you are finding it interesting enough to continue, and I hope that others will as well.

Cheers!

I am muchly enjoying!

I've just been doing correspondence, which always feels like swabbing down the decks of a working battleship.  It's just going to need doing all over again tomorrow. -- His Tadliness

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Tad's writing more Osten Ard books! (Depiction courtesy Bandit/Associated Press)

#28 2011-02-07 13:49:10

TankSpill
Pilgrim
Website

Just to let you guys know, if anyone's still reading (I know Tad Williams and Mrs Beale are! :) ), I'm up to part 9, chapters 25 - 27 of TDBC.

http://atreacherousmemory.wordpress.com … ers-25-27/

Last edited by TankSpill (2011-02-07 13:53:35)

A Treacherous Memory - In which I talk about fantasy novels I like, or would like to read.

@TankSpill

#29 2011-03-13 07:39:03

Olaf
Mantis
Website

Hi TankSpill,

I finally started re-reading your commentary as I have begun my own first full re-read in many years. I am in the first third of Dragonbone Chair and will read all four volumes straight through (I am reading the newly released German hc editions which split TGAT in two). After that I will be delving directly into a re-read of Shadowmarch (again in German) to be ready for the German release of book 4 which is expected sometime in late August. After that I hope to write some commentary/analysis of both series together and their relation to the epic fantasy tradition. I won't be doing an ongoing commentary, but your commentary will most certainly help me to form my own thoughts.

Scrollbearer

"We love you as much as Gollum hates Bagginses." Tad

high & mighty bibliography

#30 2011-04-25 04:17:51

Olaf
Mantis
Website

http://atreacherousmemory.wordpress.com … ease-read/

So you guys have probably noticed that it’s been awhile since I’ve posted anything to do with the MS&T re-read. I want to explain my reasoning and hopefully some people will let me know what they think.

I haven’t got a lot of feedback on the series as a whole. Apparently Mr. Williams and Mrs. Beale were reading it, which is extremely AWESOME, and I know that should be enough by itself for me to continue working. But I am just getting NO response from it. No one ever posts comments about the series here on the blog – the one person who did seems to have stopped after about 5 entries. I think I have two theories as to why that is the case.

The first theory is something I could fix. Several people have voiced (either here, through email, or on tadwilliams.com forums where I originally started the project) that the entries are just too long. I know I was putting a literal TON of information into each post – I know this because it generally took me anywhere between three and five hours of reading and typing just to get the summaries right, and only then did I start working on commentary. This means that it takes people a very long time to read – possibly more than one or two sittings just to read one blog post – and it takes me an extremely long time to write – and I have a lot of things I want to be writing now. So there’s a really simple answer to this one – I can shorten the posts. More on this in a moment.

The second theory is that, unfortunately, people just simply are not interested, and this is a problem that I cannot fix. I do not have the backing of Tor (since these books were not published by them), where several extremely successful re-reads have happened. Also, this is not a continuing series. That doesn’t explain everything of course, but it does explain some – there’s not a lot of anticipation for a blog series about a series that is done. There’s no urgency, because there’s not anything else coming out soon that people need to think about. Mr. Williams has stated before that he may go back to Osten Ard and write a follow-up series, but that is likely many years away, and MS&T is now a 20+ year-old series whose story is told, and doesn’t need constant re-telling. As much as I love this series (and read it over and over again), I know that plenty of people are not like me, and do not re-read series over and over again just to get more out of them. So all of that rambling just to say, as good a series as this is, as award-winning as it is (and should be), there just doesn’t seem to be a ton of interest in a re-read and analysis of it.

That second theory is a hard one for me – I think MS&T should be the ultimate fantasy series for readers. Once they’re read Tolkien (necessary reading for any new fantasy reader), their next choice should be Williams. After that, go to the silly stuff (Eddings or Feist), or move onto the really hard, LONG stuff (Jordan, Martin, Stevenson, whoever), but LotR and MS&T should be essentials. It’s simple (to me). But with no movies being made, no TV shows, no new books coming out – well, the interest in the general population just isn’t there. And there’s nothing I can do about that. So I’m at a stand-still on that one.

As for the first theory, here’s a simple solution. IF I am to continue the re-read, I will be cutting back to two chapters at a time, and both of those chapters will be much more condensed in summary and quotes (though the commentary will stay the same, and likely will have many of the quotes moved to there). It’s something that has worked well with Leigh and Kate doing the WoT and LotR re-reads over at Tor, and I’m willing to give it a try. But I need to know if I should even be working on this.

Like I said, I have a lot of projects I want to do. I’ve just taken on a new job and position in life that is AWESOME and is going to give me time to work on things I want to work on. I’m working on my own novel, I have several other read-through projects I would like to do, and I’m involved now in a local speculative fiction group that is trying to start a magazine and publishing company (this is not my job, it’s voluntary). All of this could be things I work on.

So I need to know what you guys think. Please post comments here and let me know if you really want me to continue this. It’s a fun project, but I’m just not seeing a lot of results from it – and though I shouldn’t be treating it as a means to an end, I would at least like to know that it’s appreciated and fun for someone else as well.

Thanks for your time.
-Brandon

Scrollbearer

#31 2011-04-28 08:12:36

TankSpill
Pilgrim
Website

Thanks for the support, those of you who made it by the blog.  I have updated the blog with information about returning to the series next week.
Cheers!

@TankSpill

#32 2012-04-14 19:02:25

TankSpill
Pilgrim
Website

For anyone terribly interested, almost a year later, I plan to return to this re-read right where I left off.  It may still be a week or so while I work out a few kinks, and the format is going to change (possibly just one chapter at a time, but hopefully posted much more often).  I hope you guys get some enjoyment out of it!

@TankSpill

#33 2012-04-15 12:27:39

ylvs
Mantis

I will.

'Inij koku na siqqasa min taq' - 'When we meet again, that will be a good day.'

What if UN economic sanctions against the Nornfells failed to get them to close down their Nuclear Witnesses program? At least the Sithi could begin their own WMD (Witnesses of Mass Destruction) program to try to counter the Nornsies... - Firsfron of Ronchester

Scrollbearer

#34 2012-04-16 00:58:59

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

I will, too, although I may not be able to post regularly, between full-time werk, part-time werk, full-time school and part-time teaching. And everything else.

But I like reading people's thoughts on MS&T.

I've just been doing correspondence, which always feels like swabbing down the decks of a working battleship.  It's just going to need doing all over again tomorrow. -- His Tadliness

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Tad's writing more Osten Ard books! (Depiction courtesy Bandit/Associated Press)

#35 2012-04-17 08:14:49

Olaf
Mantis
Website

I am also looking forward to your thoughts. Good to see that you are back!

Scrollbearer

#36 2012-04-25 13:48:54

TankSpill
Pilgrim
Website

@TankSpill

#37 2012-05-05 12:51:18

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

I enjoyed the read, TankSpill. Nice work.

#38 2012-05-06 21:53:24

TankSpill
Pilgrim
Website

Thanks!  Depending on how my work pans out, I should have the next part up tomorrow - at the latest, this upcoming Wednesday.

Cheers!

@TankSpill

#39 2012-06-04 02:16:43

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Any news?

#40 2012-06-04 08:07:08

TankSpill
Pilgrim
Website

Sorry, had two website deadlines this past month that unfortunately had to take precedence.  (paying bills and all!).  I will be trying to get this back going, but I've got at least 2 more weeks of pretty solid work before I'm going to have much of a break.  I do have half of the next section ready (minus my basic run-through to make sure I didn't misspell, crap out my grammar, or generally say something stupid), so if I can't get to the rest by Friday, I may just go ahead and post it.

@TankSpill

Board footer